Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Default 2002 olds alero transmission problem

This has the V 6 4.3 Liter motor.
just started this today. Went into yard sale, came back out, put car into drive and it banged like hell. Felt like the idle was at 1500 rpm and you put it into gear. (Idle was normal though) Neutral to reverse, bang like hell 1st time, then Neutral to reverse,Neutral to reverse,Neutral to reverse, after that was OK, Then Neutral to drive bang like hell again. was noticeably hard shifting from 1st to 2nd. also. Shut car off, went into store, came out, car acted fine.
Drove a while, same old story.
Pulled over, shut motor off, started back up, was fine again.
Drove a while, started doing it again. Went to eat lunch, came out was OK again.
Did not check trans fluid level yet, need to have jacked up pretty level, and remove plug.
Was reading here,
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9001
about the IAT sensor and wiring, how ever, I never noticed a CEL. Did not have Autozone check for codes, (I don't have a scanner)
Something about the IAC sharing the 5 v reference with the TPS and coolant sensor, and upping the trans pressure when the wiring was open or shorted.
I was thinking of changing the filter/fluid, but then I read this about the IAC. According to the PO, it was changed "not long ago"
Hard to tell though.
Any experience with this problem?
Thanks,
mrbreezeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Transman304

Thumbs up Re: 2002 olds alero transmission problem

Fluid and filter will not help this problem. Get it scanned,check for trouble codes. something is setting high line pressure in trans. My bet would be a P1870 code. TCC slip.
good luck
Brad
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
wafrederick

Default Re: 2002 olds alero transmission problem

That transmission is a throw away transmission,most yards sell that transmission for $50.00 to $75.00 since they don't break.Do need the tag off the old transmission,has to be the right gear ratio will set off a code for a gear ratio code.Sounds like something went bad inside the transmission.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transman304 View Post
Fluid and filter will not help this problem. Get it scanned,check for trouble codes. something is setting high line pressure in trans. My bet would be a P1870 code. TCC slip.
good luck
Brad
Thanks Brad, Good, won't waste time&money on fluid/filter.
Did have it to Autozone ,but maybe there scanner won't pull transmission codes. He said he came up with an ABS code, said that was probably it, but I'm not buying it. Was something like B-1229 had to do with Right front wheel
"excessive right front wheel spin" But again, I don't have an ABS light, I think it's a false code, a few times I noticed if I spun the front wheel/wheels a little, I'd get the ABS/traction control off lights to come on and stay on, but as soon as I would shut off the motor and restart, they would go out and stay out.
So I don't know, My one buddy has a scanner, have to see if it pulls transmission codes.
I looked at the wires to the IAT sensor, and they looked OK, best as I could tell, and again, I did not/do not, have a CEL on.
Thanks, Tony
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
That transmission is a throw away transmission,most yards sell that transmission for $50.00 to $75.00 since they don't break.Do need the tag off the old transmission,has to be the right gear ratio will set off a code for a gear ratio code.Sounds like something went bad inside the transmission.
wonder why it's intermittent then?
I don't think I'd find a yard unit around here for $50.00-$75.00.
Hoping it's something I can fix.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transman304 View Post
good luck
Brad
will a transmission fault that sets a code turn on the CEL?
Like I said, the CEL never came on.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
aussiek2000

PC solenoid. Damn near 100% failure rate on those. Pull codes and see if it has p1811 stored.
aussiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiek2000 View Post
PC solenoid. Damn near 100% failure rate on those. Pull codes and see if it has p1811 stored.
Yeah, I was reading that somewhere else, (Pressure Control Solenoid)
What do you figure it does? Stick?
Then when I shut the key and restart, it frees up for a while?
Like I said, unless Autozones reader won't pull transmission codes,
all he said it had was a RF wheel speed sensor code, but I don't think that is the issue.
I guess I will have to ask the Commercial counter Parts manager I used to deal with all the time when I was in the Garage, about the reader they have.
Is it hard to change?
Usually the Pressure Control Solenoid itself is what is bad?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
aussiek2000

I don't know what happens, it just goes bad. Generally you either get harsh shifts or long drug out shifts. To change it you have to lower the driver side of the cradle, remove left axle and remove trans side cover.

Lotek, Spider, or Stick should chime in soon.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
mrbreezeet1
Banned

based on this post, I think I threw away $13.00 on lucas trans. treatment.
http://www.jonko.com/auto_repair_for...howtopic=19274
Worked well for about an Hour or better, then started doing it again.
Still have not been able to check for codes. Advance said theirs would not read them.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
redwrench60

The pressure control solenoid problems are pretty well isolated to the 4T65-E transmissions. You say you have a 2002 Olds Alero with a 4.3L (you mean a 3.4L right?) This car has a 4T40-E trans which doesn't usually get P.C. sol. problems. I'm with transman it's got codes forcing the trans into high line pressure default mode. Maybe P1870, P1810. Being intermittent it suggests it's got a trans related electrical problem, maybe a shift solenoid or connector issue. You really need a proper scan for trouble codes for a better answer.
redwrench60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
joedodge

by no means am i a tranny guy but ive worked on alot of them, could be a solenoid getting hot and having a winding short out intermittently. As said already something is commanding excess line pressure. youll need a good bi directional scanner to scan it and actually be able to monitor pids. the monkeys at auto zone dont even know what that means. abs has nothing to do with trans issues. if youve been driving it and acting up hopefully it hasnt hurt any hard parts inside
joedodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwrench60 View Post
The pressure control solenoid problems are pretty well isolated to the 4T65-E transmissions. You say you have a 2002 Olds Alero with a 4.3L (you mean a 3.4L right?) This car has a 4T40-E trans which doesn't usually get P.C. sol. problems. I'm with transman it's got codes forcing the trans into high line pressure default mode. Maybe P1870, P1810. Being intermittent it suggests it's got a trans related electrical problem, maybe a shift solenoid or connector issue. You really need a proper scan for trouble codes for a better answer.
Yeah, its a 3.4L Oh, so the 4T40-E trans don't usually have issues with the P.C. sol?
Funny thing is if I shut it off, and restart it in a few seconds, it usually clears up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedodge View Post
by no means am i a tranny guy but I've worked on a lot of them, could be a solenoid getting hot and having a winding short out intermittently. As said already something is commanding excess line pressure. you'll need a good bi directional scanner to scan it and actually be able to monitor pids. the monkeys at auto zone don't even know what that means. abs has nothing to do with trans issues. if you've been driving it and acting up hopefully it hasn't hurt any hard parts inside
Yeah, seems to have to get hot before it acts up.
If I shut it off, and re-start it, it clears up, and shifts fine, so I'm thinking/hoping nothing else (hard parts) are damaged.
What is monitor pids?
Maybe the shop will let me use the lap top tomorrow, or the other fellow there, he has a scanner. I used to work there.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
Joelfke

Send a message via AIM to Joelfke Send a message via Yahoo to Joelfke

My 04 monte carlo (same powertrain 3.4L with 4T65E) had the P1811. Pressure control solenoid. not an impossible fix but a pain for the do it yourselfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
Sears = [fill in the blank] problem. :lol:
Joelfke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
aussiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelfke View Post
My 04 monte carlo (same powertrain 3.4L with 4T65E) had the P1811. Pressure control solenoid. not an impossible fix but a pain for the do it yourselfer.
I also have an 2004 Monte, hence the PC solenoid suggestion.

To the other poster. A 2002 with a 3.4 is the 4t65e.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
redwrench60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiek2000 View Post
I also have an 2004 Monte, hence the PC solenoid suggestion.

To the other poster. A 2002 with a 3.4 is the 4t65e.
Sorry, but no. Olds Alero is a "N" body 4T40-E. Monte Carlo is a "W" body it has a 4T65-E.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
redwrench60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelfke View Post
Not same powertrain. You have 3.4L/4T65-E. He has 3.4L/4T40-E. Yours is prone to P1811 codes/ P.C. sol trouble, trust me.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
redwrench60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreezeet1 View Post
Yeah, its a 3.4L Oh, so the 4T40-E trans don't usually have issues with the P.C. sol?
Funny thing is if I shut it off, and restart it in a few seconds, it usually clears up.

Yeah, seems to have to get hot before it acts up.
If I shut it off, and re-start it, it clears up, and shifts fine, so I'm thinking/hoping nothing else (hard parts) are damaged.
What is monitor pids?
Maybe the shop will let me use the lap top tomorrow, or the other fellow there, he has a scanner. I used to work there.
When codes set, (if it has codes) the default actions (full line pressure) are present for that drive cycle only. Once you shut it off the actions clear but the code remains for later retreival. Once you drive it again and the conditions are right to run and fail the test the default actions return.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
joedodge

Pods are parameters you can select and watch its live stream data
joedodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
mrbreezeet1
Banned

OK, I'll try to check for codes tomorrow, and let you know.
Am I correct in assuming that I can have codes stored, but never got the CEL to come on?

Thanks,