Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
IONH

Default Stacked two 44" HF 13 drawer boxes

Total height, ~73 5/8" including the lower set of wheels still installed. As I'm 6'1" (73"), a bit tall for me but it'll still be good for me. I can comfortably see into all the drawers except the very top long one.

It is pretty sturdy, though the top box is empty right now. I think once it's loaded down, it'll be even more sturdy though. If not, I'll anchor it to the wall.

For the build, here's a rough list of steps I took...

1. Removed all drawers from new box.

2. Flipped new box over onto top (on cardboard) so wheels were sticking up.

3. Removed casters.

4. Created a frame which fit inside the outer skin on the bottom of the new box. Used two 2x6 across and two 2x4 spacers to keep insects or whatever from getting in.

5. Confirmed frame fit the top of the old box.

6. Fed bolts which held the wheels on up from inside the angle iron so they would poke through about 1/4".

7. Used a rubber mallet to dimple the wood with the protruding bolts.

8. Put the frame back onto the old box.

9. Used a 1/8" drill bit to drill straight through the wood and into the top of the old box. Repeated 4 times for the inner-most 4 holes.

10. Put 3" deck screws in the holes to secure the frame to the old box top.

11. Drilled the outer holes through stepping up from 1/8" to 1/2".

12. Drilled the wooden frame out to 1/2".

13. Drilled the holes on the old box top previously filled by the screws out to 1/2". Used less aggressive bits this time, you can tell the top was less distorted by them.

14. Bolts line up.

15. Put new box on top of old box with frame in between.

16. Bolted old box to new box with 8 @ 3" M10x1.5 bolts, washers and lock washers (probably overkill).

17. Outside photo op, missing drawers.

18. Drawers finished.
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
neel2008

Default Re: Stacked two 44" HF 13 drawer boxes

pretty neat....but how do you get into the top half of the top chest? Do you wear drywall stilts while wrenching?

Edit: will be interesting to see how the wheels on the lower unit hold up when its all loaded down....
neel2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
472scout

Be real careful about not opening more than one drawer at a time.

Glad I don't use imageshack, those popups are annoying.
472scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel2008 View Post
pretty neat....but how do you get into the top half of the top chest? Do you wear drywall stilts while wrenching?

Edit: will be interesting to see how the wheels on the lower unit hold up when its all loaded down....
Third sentence, try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONH View Post
Total height, ~73 5/8" including the lower set of wheels still installed. As I'm 6'1" (73"), a bit tall for me but it'll still be good for me. I can comfortably see into all the drawers except the very top long one.
I never open more than one drawer at a time as it stood before, don't think I'll start that habit now. The largest top box drawer I will probably leave for lighter items just to be safe. As said, if it appears to wobble, I'll anchor it to the wall.

I don't roll my carts around regularly, so I don't see the wheel degrading any time soon unless they flat out collapse. Stay tuned.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
472scout

When are you getting the top chest? All the cool kids have them.

Seriously I don't see anything wrong with it. I would definitely anchor it to the wall though.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Stinger

Looks good. I'd probably move all the double drawers to the bottom box and put only singles up top to keep the weight down.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
IONH

Glad to see it's not all hate this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Looks good. I'd probably move all the double drawers to the bottom box and put only singles up top to keep the weight down.
But then I mix the wrinkle and gloss finish within the same box. That might look sillier than it does already.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
PT Doc

What is the weight capacity of the 44” box?
PT Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
rslaback

Have you considered taking the casters off the bottom? I doubt you are going to roll that baby around and it might allow you to see into the top drawer. Another thing to think about is I believe another guy did the same thing but put the boxes top to top so the long drawers were both in the middle. I believe the drawers are pretty easy to flip upside down.
rslaback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
4t64rd

Kinda reminds me of those lifted F-250s that you need a ladder to get into... How useful is it for everyday if you don't live in a swamp?
4t64rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post
What is the weight capacity of the 44 box?
Not double the weight of one bottom 44" box.

Considering it can handle a top chest loaded, it wouldn't be too far over.

Stole this from the other thread...
Bottom weight empty = 306lbs
Bottom capacity = 818lbs
Bottom top panel capacity = 701lbs
Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslaback View Post
Have you considered taking the casters off the bottom? I doubt you are going to roll that baby around and it might allow you to see into the top drawer. Another thing to think about is I believe another guy did the same thing but put the boxes top to top so the long drawers were both in the middle. I believe the drawers are pretty easy to flip upside down.
That'd been pretty neat if I weren't already done and too lazy to go back. I could have also just nut/bolted it instead of leveraging the prior caster threaded holes.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
rsanter

Lift with a floor jack to remove wheels then put it down

Bob
Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
IONH

The "neat" part would have been to flip the top one over so they were "top to top" for the big drawers in the middle.

I considered removing the casters from the bottom chest as I will probably never move it. In the event I do want to someday move it, then I'll be pretty much out of luck unless I 100% empty it.

I'll see how useful it is as it stands before I make the decision to remove the wheels. Who knows, as I load it I might find out and remove them.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Mike007

Just curious, why didn't you put them side by side? Was it a space issue? Thats what I did and put a top across both. Makes a nice work bench.
Mike007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
Pointsnorth

I like it, well done. Same footprint, twice the storage.
Pointsnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike007 View Post
Just curious, why didn't you put them side by side? Was it a space issue? Thats what I did and put a top across both. Makes a nice work bench.
Wall space is a hot commodity in my garage. This new 44" replaced my old 26" 3 tier Craftsman setup and I net more storage total.

I've also got a 52" Husky bottom box as well with a surprisingly decent factory wooden top.

Plus my melamine topped work bench which is about 16 feet long and 3 feet deep so I did not need the additional bench top.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
Gradyhd

I think it's a great idea. I've mixed my boxes to get more storage in one unit, but never thought to use two bottoms. I'll have to start measuring mine.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradyhd View Post
I think it's a great idea. I've mixed my boxes to get more storage in one unit, but never thought to use two bottoms. I'll have to start measuring mine.
I had done the calculations before pulling the trigger on purchasing a second bottom box. The storage capacity was about 50% more and the cost was only 33% more (assuming $299 for top and $399 for bottom).

Time spent was about an hour total as I had the wood laying around. Didn't include the drive to True Value for $10 worth of metric bolts, washers and lock washers.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
rslaback

Quote:
I had done the calculations before pulling the trigger on purchasing a second bottom box. The storage capacity was about 50% more and the cost was only 33% more (assuming $299 for top and $399 for bottom).

Time spent was about an hour total as I had the wood laying around. Didn't include the drive to True Value for $10 worth of metric bolts, washers and lock washers.
There is a coupon in the HF coupon thread for the bottom for $359 which makes it even more affordable.
rslaback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslaback View Post
There is a coupon in the HF coupon thread for the bottom for $359 which makes it even more affordable.
Yeah, I think I actually got it for $349 with a similar coupon from a magazine. Was an easy decision even if I left the very top shelf completely empty.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
PT Doc

Angry Re: Stacked two 44" HF 13 drawer boxes

Quote:
Not double the weight of one bottom 44" box.

Considering it can handle a top chest loaded, it wouldn't be too far over.

Stole this from the other thread...
Bottom weight empty = 306lbs
Bottom capacity = 818lbs
Bottom top panel capacity = 701lbs
So 800# cap for 1 of these. Bottom one has 300# on top of it. So 500# left in cap. You could put 250# in each or more on the bottom and less on top. I'd be weighing things as you reload cause if that comes down and you are near it, you could be really hurt since it would likely fold forwards since it can't go back wards. Be safe.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post
So 800# cap for 1 of these. Bottom one has 300# on top of it. So 500# left in cap. You could put 250# in each or more on the bottom and less on top. I'd be weighing things as you reload cause if that comes down and you are near it, you could be really hurt since it would likely fold forwards since it can't go back wards. Be safe.
I don't believe they weigh 300 pounds even with the wheels in their original crate. Without the drawers and wheels, I'd say maybe 85-90 pounds. Lets say a hair over 200 pounds total.

There also must be some wiggle room for going over the limit, though Jap stuff, not sure if I want to rely on that.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
472scout

Although the numbers sound reasonable, history has shown that you can't trust HF published capacities. As I recall for the 56" box, just as an example, they've published two wildly different capacities in the last year or so. Also, if you take a look inside these boxes the vertical uprights are not impressive. Having said that, I would keep my lighter stuff in the top box, anchor it to wall studs, and not worry about it. Load it up with heavy pullers and clamps, 3/4" drive impact sockets sets, boat loads of wrenches, hammers, pipe wrenches, etc. and there will be hell to pay.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #25
rharman

The HF website shows unloaded weight as 302 and capacity of over 2600. I don't know that I believe the 2600 but it should leave plenty of wiggle room for loading the box(es) up.

I'd still worry about it folding in on itself though.
rharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #26
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Followed the link in you sig to get here.

I like it, it's a great way to get more storage and take up less floor space. We're comparable in height so looking in the top box would yield the same effect for you and me.

If it were mine, I'd take the casters off and put it on a shorter wooden platform. This does two things, allows the entire base on the bottom to support the weight of the unit. Secondly, if someone breaks in, they're not going to be able to roll it out.

If you leave the casters under it, I'd build a sliding box to step on for the taller drawers. Something as simple as a 2x4 frame, plywood top and two casters. Put the casters underneath/inside the front of the box, with only a small clearance (1/8-3/16") This will allow it to slide out but it shouldn't roll when you stand on it. Push down on the handle (yes, it'll need a handle) slightly when you push it under the tool box and it take the weight off the back of the box and make it easy to slide back out of the way.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #27
IONH

Good idea on storing a step stool box underneath. I'll consider that. Though I have plenty of milk crates around which can be readily grabbed too, so it has not been a problem yet.

Haven't near sorted bits into it yet, maybe this week.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #28
alpinewhite

I vote for two anchor bolts for the top box. That should prevent 99.9% of future problems of collapsing.
alpinewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #29
albaran

I just put a 3 in 1 mill/drill/lathe on top of my HF 44" which I estimate weighs around 400 lbs. The top section did bow in very slightly but the sides show no sign of any deflection. I could have put a board under it but its too late now. My point is that this cabinet is very sturdy and should handle heavy loads.
albaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #30
PT Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by albaran View Post
I just put a 3 in 1 mill/drill/lathe on top of my HF 44" which I estimate weighs around 400 lbs. The top section did bow in very slightly but the sides show no sign of any deflection. I could have put a board under it but its too late now. My point is that this cabinet is very sturdy and should handle heavy loads.
If it has already bowed would it be safe to assume this load will continue to strain the metal? Just because it bowed slightly doesn't mean that you have reached max material strain, does it?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #31
rsanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albaran View Post
Put a board under it, the vibrations from the machine and time will cause the metal to 'creep' which means it will continue to bow over time

I have my lathe mounted on mine and installed a Formica covered board. It holds it will but you can't move the thing very fast because you can feel the weight sitting on the top. But it has Been that way for a couple years now with no troubles

Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
WhiteTrash

Quote:
The "neat" part would have been to flip the top one over so they were "top to top" for the big drawers in the middle.
While it would be neat to have both of the the full length drawers in the middle, flipping the top one over would put the half drawers on the left on the top and the right on the bottom.

I do like the idea of stacking them though. And if I ever get around to getting me some, I will likely do the same. But I would move the deeper drawers to the bottom. Of course, I would get them both at the same time and wouldn't have to worry about 2 different finishes.
WhiteTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #33
cheechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanter View Post
Put a board under it, the vibrations from the machine and time will cause the metal to 'creep' which means it will continue to bow over time

I have my lathe mounted on mine and installed a Formica covered board. It holds it will but you can't move the thing very fast because you can feel the weight sitting on the top. But it has Been that way for a couple years now with no troubles

Bob
on the HF 44" if you have room, buy two of the sides, extend your board from end to end and put really good supports under it to spread the load out. Ultimately the casters will still be carrying the weight, but the best way I can say it is it's not as much strain on the box's metal as you spread it out to the sides. Even better if you can take the casters off & put it in something fixed. Several examples in pictures on the boards here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
you can fabricate your own "fun" bits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Len View Post
when I was younger I got a lot of experience with the "flex shaft"
cheechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #34
santagary

I'd put my sawedoff shotgun and a pistol in the top drawer where I couldn't see it but could feel it and grab it quickly for quick protection and storage out of harms' way and hidden from kids.
santagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #35
3xpendable

Quote:
Originally Posted by santagary View Post
I'd put my sawedoff shotgun and a pistol in the top drawer where I couldn't see it but could feel it and grab it quickly for quick protection and storage out of harms' way and hidden from kids.

I like the way you think
Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #36
rick carpenter

Flip the top box and put the casters back on in case you move to Australia.
rick carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #37
onething

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick carpenter View Post
Flip the top box and put the casters back on in case you move to Australia.
onething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #38
skulldrinker

Send a message via Skype™ to skulldrinker

Have you thought of stacking side cabinets?
skulldrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #39
melliott28

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulldrinker View Post
Have you thought of stacking side cabinets?
I was thinking of doing the same thing and using it for hardware storage. Has anyone done this?
melliott28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #40
skulldrinker

Send a message via Skype™ to skulldrinker

I was being sarcastic.
skulldrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #41
alpinewhite

Any pics of this setup in action? What does it look like now?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #42
IONH

Looks like the last picture right down to the messy garage.

I only have random install manuals in the top shelf, so it is not overloaded. This is not intentional, just where those happened to end up. The rest have ratches, sockets, utility knives, etc in them. Working just fine for me.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #43
plow

Wish I had enough tools to fill all that.
plow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #44
IONH

Funny you say that. I also have a 52" Husky box that I got as a great deal on close-out. I really need to spend more time and organize these a lot better because I get a few drawers done but then others sit with random crap in them.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #45
alpinewhite

I hope that you've bolted/chained the top half to the wall. I would hate to hear that your toolbox had fallen on someone.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #46
Larey

So with the mentioning of flipping the top box over and mounting the drawers to what would be considered upside down, has anyone done this? I already have one of the boxes and was considering the upper box to be purchased soon. Recently came across a lower box in slightly used condition for 200 bucks. I am in a single car garage and have a lot of storage issues considering my mother in law lives with me.
Larey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #47
MackMan

Flip both boxes upside-down, bolt to the wall. Leave the bottom (wide, originally top) drawer upside down. Built in slide-out step.

Or flip drawer right-side up, put a "cover" on it and have step with storage.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #48
nolimits76

Mobile step....add blocking as needed for extra height.

nolimits76 is offline   Reply With Quote