Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The Tool Board

I've always used tool boxes for storage, but I've never really given any other means much thought. Lately, however, I've been thinking about tool boards and how handy th...
To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Cameronl

Default Re: The Tool Board

I've always assumed those tool boards were for store display.
Cameronl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
striper

Using tool boxes drives me crazy. I have used a board for many years for the reasons you have said. Strangely my 7/16 ring / open end spanner has been missing for a while.

My board is not as nice as this one. Just a sheet of MDF with hand drawn outlines but it works. I'm going to take the next step soon and make a new one on wheels. I'm looking forward to GenII.

Pete
striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Woogeroo

I've worked in a pal's garage with a tool board... makes things go a lot quicker when projects are happening fast.

Easier to put things up as well.

For me, I'm still with a tool box until I get a garage.

-W
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
larry_g

I have always been a toolbox guy. Working out of a tool box I know what is in each drawer and can grab it as fast as one can off the wall. I can see a tool board for one who works casually or if many work from the same set of tools. I don't think that having a tool board will help you keep track of tools any better than a box if you do not have the personality to put things away. If your tools are scattered now, what makes you think you'll change your ways just because you have tools on display? How many shops have you been in with peg/tool boards that are 1/2 empty or filled with anything but tools?

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
chief ben

I think you will like a tool board, I love both of mine, the one in the welding shop is on wheels so I can move it where I need it at,
and the one in the small machine shop is built on the wall over the work bench,

Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
burleyfarm

Chief Ben
I like your "theft deterrent" and alarm system.
burleyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
LutzTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by burleyfarm View Post
Chief Ben
I like your "theft deterrent" and alarm system.
too funny, I was going to say the same thing. One man shop, tool board is the balls, multiple man shop, you gotta lock your stuff in a box. I like the boards much better than a box, I can see from across the room if a tool is not put away
Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Brad54

I've got a combination of the two.
I have pegboard above the tool box and work bench.
All my sockets are on Craftsman rails (the ones with the square pegs and detent balls), so I know when I'm missing sockets.
My wrenches are in racks in my box, so I know when I'm missing them.

Pliers and screwdrivers are thrown in a drawer, and I don't know they're missing until I reach for one and it isn't there.

Hammers are on my hammer stand.

Body tools, chassis tools, service tools (like radiator fin pliers, wiper arm pliers, door panel clip tools, etc. etc.) are in the rest of the drawers.

Pegboard holds a full assortment of wrenches from 3/8 to 1 1/4, at least two of every size--and about 6 or 8 of 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16... so I'm not always wondering where the hell my 7/16 got off to! When I reach for the last one of those, it's time to stop and clean up all the tools.

Other pegboard and lay-out tools, a set of adjustable wrenches (small to huge), squares, my huge honkin channel locks, etc.

-Brad

Parting out Reed and Columbia vises
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139072
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Exceller8
Alliance Member

I'd like to have a vintage tool board in my shop to display some of my older tools. I don't think I would like that setup for any real practical use.

John

My feedback thread:
Exceller8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Laundrew

[QUOTE=chief ben;2577857]I think you will like a tool board, I love both of mine, the one in the welding shop is on wheels so I can move it where I need it at,
and the one in the small machine shop is built on the wall over the work bench,

What a sweetie

Now this is what is meant as "tool control."

Be well...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
neel2008

If i get to the point I would like to be at one day where my 2 car garage is just for storing cars and the occasional small household repair or project, Id put a board up and have it all nice and neat with basic tools....but the future pole barn shop will always have a tool chest....
neel2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
mendoza727

Tool boards or pegboards are must for me. To some it may come across as anal retentive or perhaps as a clean freak, but maybe it's just neat pride.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
bugnout

I think shadow boards and toolbox foam cutouts definitely have a place.

When I was in the USAF, all toolboxes had to be inventoried before they could be taken on or off an aircraft. In the shop, all tools went back on the shadow board before anyone could go home. Leaving a tool unsecured could have a catastrophic result.

Great method of enforcing tool discipline, especially if your work tasks rarely change, and your needs are consistent day to day.

Much harder to do when you are constantly adding tools to your arsenal or you don't know what you'll need.
bugnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Laundrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugnout View Post
I think shadow boards and toolbox foam cutouts definitely have a place.

When I was in the USAF, all toolboxes had to be inventoried before they could be taken on or off an aircraft. In the shop, all tools went back on the shadow board before anyone could go home. Leaving a tool unsecured could have a catastrophic result.

Great method of enforcing tool discipline, especially if your work tasks rarely change, and your needs are consistent day to day.

Much harder to do when you are constantly adding tools to your arsenal or you don't know what you'll need.
A great system for flight safety, but unfortunately, from time to time, we had individuals closing and certifying an incomplete tool box and we are talking about two independent signatures. 99.999% of the time - the tool crib coordinator would notice this and the other .001% of the time, a tool would wind up left in an intake. 99 times out of 100 the tool would be noticed on a DI, B check or the pilots walk around. I don't even want to think about the tools that were left behind a closed panel.

Be well...
Old 09-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
RCStocker

You will not like what I think about tool boards. LOL They are a huge pain in the box! LOL
I am sorry if anyone is not bright enough to remember which drawer your tools are in. I don't fumble and I have 9 roll around boxes in 3 locations. If you can't remember where your tools are how do you remember how to fix what you are working on?

Tool boards get dirty and are harder to clean.
They look like cluttered and I hate the cluttered look
I hate reaching across the bench to grab a tool. I am 6-1 and have long arms and I still don't like it.
I hate having even the good hooks come out of the board.
I don't want to walk across my shop to get a tool.
I was a tool and die maker and working swing shift while I ran my construction company days. As an architect I like to keep things simple. I hate working in a mess like I see in so many shops. If I walk into a garage or shop when needing work done I walk out if it is dirty and cluttered. IT is rare that I need work done. I can do 99.9 percent of it myself. If you can't keep a clean shop I don't need to hire you. If you are sloppy you will do a sloppy job. If you spend more time walking over and looking for things in a cluttered work space than you will spend more time serching than doing the job.

If you have a good tool cart that is has everthing at your finger tips when working fast you will be better off than tools on a board.

With all that said I have 3 shops. One in the end of my huge tractor pole barn. A shop in the back of the house and one in a second 2 car garage in California.

I have a full cabinet shop with a 12 inch jointer, 2 unisaws 20 inch band saw, Hitachi resaws. I have 5 band saws 5 different drill presses and 11 ginders and buffers. All in all I have 81 machines. I have lateral files full of power tools and air guns. They are all marked on the front of the drawers. I use the old bank check files that are 42 inches wide with double drawers. I have them full of clamps special tools etc. I have over 500 clamps. Others are full of sorted nuts and bolts. I have thousands of nuts and bolts, screws and fastners. I have 14 files full of tools and I have cabinets built in all the shops that are full of tools. I know when there is a tool missing because my family does not put things back. I have hundreds of carving tools, hundreds of hand planes, braces and woodworking tools. I really have it all. I have been collecting tools sense 1955. I have 57 set of wrenches. I had to get an inventory for insurance. It took me 6 months of my spare time to list it all.

I am sorry I am so anil. I never loose a tool. When I am done with a job I wipe them down with a rag that has light oil and then wipe them off with a clean rag and put them back.
I don't waste time looking for things. I know where everything is because everthing has its place. Some tools have been in the same drawers for 45 years.

I see so much put up forsale that is full of rust and dirt. If you are gong to put something up forsale at least clean the rust off and make it look good. My tools do not rust, by cabinets don't rust. I put a dehumidifyer in every shop. The shops are kept at 50 degrees in the winter when not in use.

I even oil my shovels and garden tools when I am done. It only takes a few seconds to oil the shovel and hang it up in the garden shed.

I have a full cabinet shop. A full machine shop that has all the sheet metal equipment and wellders. I have all the different welders. I have a hoist and pit.

My shops are not fancy but when you walk in everything is in its place and there is no clutter. File cabinets make great tool boxes for power tools, coards and hoses.

Every time I see something haning on the wall I get the feeling that I should hang myself. Haning tools and items is not handy. If you think so then you are not an organized person. I have cabinets I built on all my walls. I don't have a place to hang things. I have all my bottles, cans and things in vertical metal cabinets. I even have all my cases of oil in cabinets. I don't put things under the work benches. I don't leave anything on the floor that dos not belong there.

Talk about a fast clean up. I even wash down the tool boxes if the get dust on them.

Bottom line. I hate peg and tool board with a passion. They are uggly, usless and dust collectors. You always end up haning something over what is on the board. Then it really becomes a pain in the box. I have been there done that, lived with it and then ripped them down and put them on the burn pile 30 years ago. LOL Funny thing how all my cheap craftsman hand tools made me a good living. I have the Sanp-on and all the other brands becasue I buy estates and lots at auction. I still have the C mans tools from the 60's. The only socket I broke was used with a 2 foot cheater pipe. If you use the right tool for the job you will not break your tools. If you break your tools or damage them then you don't know the propper way to break things loose or are cutting something with too small of cutting tool. Enough said. Hang yourself not your tools. I have thousands of tools and none are in site.

Do you want to know what I really think? LOL LOL This post should stir the pot. LOL
RCStocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
-Brent-

I think they are nice looking when done well but I don't like advertising what I've got. Having a wall full of tool boxes is advertising enough.
-Brent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
Outlawmws

I don't like tool boards in practice for two main reasons: Wall space is too valuable a commodity in my cramped garage, and even if I had the walls completely empty, I could not begin to get them all hung.

I like the concept OK, but only in concept for limited and defined use. I can and have seen where its effective for some, but as was mentioned, for a casual user of tools; (my brother would be better off with a tool board and a small plastic carry box for getting them to the few jobs he actually does with his hands...)

If one only does wood working I can see that being feasible. I do just about every type of work and have the tools for it, from auto mechanics, to wood working, plumbing electrical, electronics (they are different...) metal fabrication, welding, machine tools, sheet-metal, leather...

There is no way I could get even a commonly used portion of my tools on boards. Again the walls are covered. shelves, parts bins pic-a-Nut selectors, yeah there is one rack for pipe clamps; the pipe clamps nicely frame in my shop phone... The back wall is boxed storage from about 4' off the ground to the peak of the ceiling, under that are storage cabinets, milk crates of parts, and an engine on a stand with another block under that engine...

About a year ago I made a sign and framed it that said "= NOTICE = Some tools in this workshop may have been built before modern guards and safety devices were included as standard design practice. PAY COMPLETE ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND KEEP YOUR BODY PARTS OUT OF THE PATH OF THE DANGEROUS BITS!"

I couldn't find an 8 X 10 spot on the wall sin there to hang it...

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
magnusk750

I'm pro tool board for the often used tools, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers etc. Easy and fast to grab, easy to see when a tool is missing and as they are used all the time they dont get dirty. Tool box for the rest of the tools. Takes too much wall space to put them all on the wall and they'd get dirty.

Facebook: facebook.com/OyMagnusHenriksson
magnusk750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
ctb

Works for some but not for me. Like the aspect of instantly seeing if something is missing but I don't like having all my tools on display on the wall.
I like rummaging through my toolbox to find the tool I want and if I have to take two or three out of the way to get to the one I want that's just fine - lets me get re-acquainted with my lessor used tools. I don't wrench for a living.
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote