Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
twincam00

Default How can I extract a exploded battery from a flashlight?

I have a 2D Maglite that sat out in the garage for years, needed to replace the batteries today and found one of the batteries exploded and is now stuck inside the flashlight. Its the one closer to the switch. Any ideas on how I can get this out of here?

heres a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9301450.jpg (44.0 KB, 129 views)
twincam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Worsedog

Default Re: How can I extract a exploded battery from a flashlight?

If you are certain that both batteries in it were the same kind hit up their website for what to do about battery damaged equipment.

I hit Energizer up for a new borescope after their batteries crapped inside mine. They sent me a check for $125.

They might send you a few bucks or a new flashlight. Other than that you'd be way ahead just binning it.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
PA-Buckeye

Maglite has assembly/disassembly instructions on their website in pdf. format. I had to do the same thing about 2 months ago, but mine also has a bad switch that needs replaced.
PA-Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Gareth68

Quote:
I can’t remove the tailcap from my Mag® flashlight. I have even put pliers on it and tried to twist it off, but it's absolutely frozen or stuck. Is this problem covered by my warranty?
When you cannot remove the tailcap to change the batteries, it almost certainly indicates that the batteries have leaked and sealed everything inside the flashlight. Unfortunately, Mag does not warrant against battery leakage, however, we do have agreements with Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. If one of these brands of batteries has leaked in your flashlight, send the flashlight to us and we will repair or replace it at no charge to you. We recommend that you ship the flashlight UPS or Postal Insured for tracking purposes. Please send to; Mag Instrument, Inc., Attn; Warranty Dept., 1721 E. Locust St., Ontario, Ca. 91761-7769. You pay the freight to us and we pay it going back. Please also include a letter with your name, address, phone number and description of the problem. Don’t forget to indicate what brand of battery is inside if you know. Once we verify it is Duracell, Eveready or Ray-O-Vac, we will send you a new flashlight at no charge. Occasionally we open the flashlight and we find it contains leaking batteries that are not Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. In cases of "off-brand" battery leakage, we can replace your flashlight for a charge of -- $12.00 plus your state's sales tax for a ‘C’ or ‘D’ Mag-Lite® flashlight, or $8.00 plus tax for a Mini-Maglite® flashlight. If you are not sure, send the flashlight to us, with the batteries inside, and we will check to determine the brand. If we find that they are "off-brand" batteries, we will contact you and arrange for payment before sending you the replacement flashlight.
http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=D
Gareth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
EvilWelder

I sprayed Kroil down the barrel, let it sit for a few days, and they came out with a little tap, tap on a wood block. Baking soda and water with a piece of scotch brite to clean out the rest.
EvilWelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
twincam00

thanks guys! Think I'll send it in since I used Eveready batteries
twincam00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exploded battery