Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
kngelv

Default Oscillating tool question. Fein vs. Bosch vs. Porter-Cable

I have never used an oscillating tool. I'm planning on remodeling two bathrooms and a kitchen in my house over the next few years. I think one would be useful for this endeavor. If anyone can offer any guidance for my situation I would appreciate it. At the end of the day does the convenience of the keyless tool change make the Fein the better choice over the Bosch? What about the PC. Thanks.

James
kngelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Andybull

Default Re: Oscillating tool question. Fein vs. Bosch vs. Porter-Cable

I have two Feins, they are both the professional models which require a hex wrench. They are the best, the accessories are expensive though. You may be able to use the cheaper blades from others by purchasing an adapter available from others.
Andybull is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
shoturtle

feins make a excellent oscillating tool, and they are pretty easy to find at sears. They are pricey. If you do not mind spending the extra money the feins would be the better tool. The bosch is a good tool, not as nice as the feins. But there is a bosch ois adapter that allows you to used other lower price brands blades as well. If it is a tool you will used allot I say go with the feins. The bosch is a pro level as well but with less bell and whistle.

PC are lower priced, think their quality have slipped recently. But is you are not going to be using the tools a whole lot, just for this project. It might be cost effective to get the lower priced PC.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
skruft

I have a keyless Fein and did have a Bosch. I think they are both excellent tools but that the Fein (like other Fein tools) is not worth the very high premium over all the other brands. At least not for a hobbyist like me. Check the reviews.
skruft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Addrock

Buy anything but Fein they do business as if they still have patent protection. Case in point is tooling costs $15 for 1 or plunge cut not good econ 101. Bosch and Rigid make tooling at LEAST as good for less. I use these tools every nearly day, Makita is also on my list of maybe just in case I NEED 18 volt cordless.

States I've visited
Addrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Flyboy101

I bought the porter cable and love it. No history with the Fein, sorry.

Think the PC is cheaper. Does everything they say it can do.
Flyboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
coolreed

I have used Fein and it is the standard. But I do not use one all that much so I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight. It really works good.

But if I was intending to use one alot I would go with Fein. They have reduced their prices about half due to competition.
coolreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
bimmerZ5

i have the single speed corded Harbor Freight version of this tool from about 2-3 yrs ago. i've used it heavily, cutting into wood, nails, laminate flooring, steel plates, plastics, drywall, sanding, scraping, etc. i got it for $20, so I didn't take care of it at first figuring it would die anyway and I'd get my $20 worth if it lasted a few times. well, it's lasted several years now and has gone through a lot of abuse... i finally realized this little $20 tool was one of my best and most reliable tools... so I actually went back and disassembled it and cleaned it inside and out and now take care of it much like my other highly regarded tools. I still have the extra set of motor brushes that came with it and have never used it. I even got a bag dedicated to this tool and so I can store all the blades and the tool in one place. I also bought several more as gifts to various relatives that use tools because I liked mine so much.

if i had to pick a problem with the HFT version, it is that it is loud and if I plan to use it for a continuous long period, I'll wear ear plugs or one of those noise cancelling head sets.

as for blades, the HFT blades aren't too bad. i really like bosch blades, but they are more expensive. certain materials are just going to be hard to cut, like when i cut laminate flooring, it wore down my bosch blades really fast.
bimmerZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
3xpendable

I too have the HF tool and used it everyday for around 5 years. I LOVE IT! Still going strong. But if you hit a nail with the plunge cut its all over but the crying. It eats the dremel's lunch way more power. It is great at undercutting door frames for tile.

(X)
3xpendable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
shoturtle

The dremel is meant for a different purpose. Not for the larger jobs, but for more refine stuff. They cater to people looking to do very fine work. The big corder oscillating tools are for more robust work.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
kngelv

Thanks for the replies. I'd really like to stay away from the HF. I mentioned the PC as an aside. I'm more interested in the Fein or Bosch. I should mention that I'm a journeyman electrician, so I can see this helping out occasionally on side work. Are there adapters that let you use Bosch blades on the Fein? I understand the Bosch blades are much cheaper but pretty close in quality.

James
kngelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
Greatwhitewing

I have a couple Bosch tools and think they are very well made tools. I wouldn't hesitate buying just about anything they make..
Greatwhitewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
JASTECH

I bought the Rigid and my Dad bought the cordless Milky, I took Rigid back. My Dad's Milky cam with an adapter to use Bosch and others on it. He used it resealing a entire shed, that Milky is still going strong and he likes being able to use other Mfg's blades and such on it.
JASTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
theoldwizard1

I bought a refurb Craftsman corded (skip the cordless) for less than $50 on eBay. Works great, even with the hex screw to change blades.

IMHO, as a homeowner, who is only going to get occasional usage, I would not spend more than $100 for this type of tool.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
RKA

I've used the HF once and hated it. The blades were horrible and they kept coming loose. It produces a bit more noise as well, but that is splitting hairs. For the price though, it's hard to argue the value.

I have a Fein that gets used about once every other month (DIY) and I'm happy with it, but the price (even today) is a bit steep. If I was buying today, I'd have a hard look at the others on the market. Case in point is the Porter Cable PCE605K. $118 on Amazon, 3 amp motor, and 2.8 degree oscillation angle outguns the Fein on paper. They also advertise tool-less blade change. I haven't used it, but at 60% of the cost, I would bet it would do everything I ask of it.

I would recommend the tool-less blade change. I'm constantly repositioning the blades so I can hold the tool at a good angle to have the most control (to get a clean cut). The one time I used an HF, I wasted more time fiddling with the blade than I did actually cutting, and when the bolt backed itself out, that just pissed me off.

To answer your other question, Bosch sells an adaptor called "OIS" which will adapt their blades to several other major brands of oscillating tools (Fein is among them). I love this since it allows me to run down to my local big box and grab a Bosch blade at the last minute (this was before Sears started hawking Fein). I don't think this adaptor will work with the PC tool though. I don't have any experience with PC's blades so I can't speak to their quality. I believe they are made in China, where many of the Bosch blades are Swiss.

Another option is the 18V Makita, which has a 4 degree oscillating angle (equivalent to the professional Fein models). If you're not using the tool continuously, perhaps cordless might be an option? I've been using their 18V system (not an oscillating tool though) for 6+ years now and I've been very pleased with the durability of their batteries. But, as I said, if you plan to use the tool continuously for more than 5 mins at a clip, cordless may not be the best solution. I'm also not sure about blade compatibility with this tool, so that's something to look into.
RKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Den69rs96

I have the Bosch multi tool. Comes with an adaptor to use other brands blades. Definitely well built. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Bosch owns dremel, so the dremel is a step below Bosch, but still a good tool for the hobbist. Fein is a great tool, but there are great alternatives out on the market now so I wouldn't pay the high price.
Den69rs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Mr Ratchet

I had a Dremel that worked fine. I did get pretty hot with extended use though. I ended up giving it to my brother. I considered a few other as a replacement with the Fein as the one I would go with if I could not find anything else. I've used the tool less Fein a couple of times and liked it quite well. I also like the tool less feature on most types of power tools.
I looked at the newer and bigger Dremel, Rockwell, Porter cable, and Bosch. I narrowed it down between the PC and Bosch. I ended up going with the Bosch because I considered it to have the better quality and I liked the tool less lever less on the PC than the Bosch. The Bosch has a tool less change as well, at least on the model I ended up with. I will say the case for blade storage inside sucks. The Dremel was far better in that case.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...EK-33#benefits
Mr Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
danski0224

Fein.

Buy variable speed and quick change. Slowing the tool down helps blade life. Quick change saves time.

Buying blades in 10 packs brings the price per blade down a lot, almost on par with the knockoffs.
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
03protege

I've only had the opportunity to use one of these tools once, and at least for what I was doing it really didn't seem to have to many useful applications. That is until you absolutely needed and it was literally the only tool for the job.
03protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
RCStocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerZ5 View Post
i have the single speed corded Harbor Freight version of this tool from about 2-3 yrs ago. i've used it heavily, cutting into wood, nails, laminate flooring, steel plates, plastics, drywall, sanding, scraping, etc. i got it for $20, so I didn't take care of it at first figuring it would die anyway and I'd get my $20 worth if it lasted a few times. well, it's lasted several years now and has gone through a lot of abuse... i finally realized this little $20 tool was one of my best and most reliable tools... so I actually went back and disassembled it and cleaned it inside and out and now take care of it much like my other highly regarded tools. I still have the extra set of motor brushes that came with it and have never used it. I even got a bag dedicated to this tool and so I can store all the blades and the tool in one place. I also bought several more as gifts to various relatives that use tools because I liked mine so much.

if i had to pick a problem with the HFT version, it is that it is loud and if I plan to use it for a continuous long period, I'll wear ear plugs or one of those noise cancelling head sets.

as for blades, the HFT blades aren't too bad. i really like bosch blades, but they are more expensive. certain materials are just going to be hard to cut, like when i cut laminate flooring, it wore down my bosch blades really fast.
HF power tools are all crap and not worth the box they come in. If you you really use your tools you would know.
Prter cable was good but there is better. I hate Dewalt but their vibrating sandors cut much faster then the rest. I have PC, and others Mikita belt sanders are great. They are light and well ballanced and I like them the best.
Their quarter sheet sander is crap. Bosch makes fantastic tools. I don't think they make a bad one.
RCStocker is offline   Reply With Quote