Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
bdamico

Default Blue Saber Cabinet Install / Review

There appears to be little or no information in this forum about Saber Cabinets. In this thread, I will walk you through my install of a wall of Saber's new blue line of steel cabinets. Saber calls the blue Traffic Blue. It is a bit darker than Lista and much lighter than Kobalt cabinets.

While I am not done installing them, my initial thoughts are they are very well built and thought out. The steel is around 19 gauge and the cabinets are overall well designed and provide a ton of storage. I don't think you can get much better in the price range.

I purchased (2) 48" x 81" x 24 storage cabinets, (1) 30" x 81 x 24" storage cabinet, (2) 6 drawer base cabinets, (1) 90" stainless steel workbench, and (3) upper cabinets.

Update***

This is what it looks like now. As you will see below, I think Saber cabinets are the best deal out there in this price range. Tons of space, well built, well designed, sharp looking, and a great company to deal with.

soffit build here
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ghlight=soffit

Last edited by bdamico; 03-29-2013 at 10:43 AM.
bdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
bdamico

Default Re: Blue Saber Cabinet Install / Review

I am putting the cabinets along the back wall. I already did my porcelain tile install this summer. Note the step on the right side into the house. The first cabinet is going to clear that step.

The first thing I want to say is don't follow the instructions. They tell you to build the cabinet first and then attach it to the wall. I did some like this and wish I hadn't. I say building them all from the bottom up if you use legs. Or if you just hang them, Start from the back panel and build the cabinet on the wall. You'll see as I write this thread.

Saber cabinets are meant to be hung. I probably should have listened and just anchored the hell out of them but I went ahead and ordered legs. Of course the legs I ordered didn't match the predrilled holes on the bottom so I had to make some more.

In any event, the bottom panel is like a tray. I thought it was a little wimpy for the legs so I added 1x10 pine boards in the tray (it gets hidden as you'll see) and bolted the legs through the wood and the bottom.

So here's the first 48 inch storage cabinet going in over the step to the house.

So after I got the bottom nice and level, I built the back panel. It is made from two pieces that bolt together. I ended up attaching it to the wall with toggler alligator anchors (I have hollow block walls).

Then I attached the side panels. Notice the double walled construction. Really nice.

Then the top, which is a tray construction, which rests on top of the back and sides and bolts in.

Then there is another panel that goes over the bottom tray and covers it. It is really strong and has a channel support.

Then the doors. BTW -- this was one of my first mistakes -- DON'T PUT ON DOORS until you're done with all the cabinets, because it makes them harder to line up and bolt together when you have a bunch in a row.

Door construction is really good and strong. The tall cabinets doors are each attached via 4 euro hinges.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
bdamico

Then I lined up my second storage cabinet and repeated. I'll go back later and take some detail shots of the door handles (which are long chunks of metal) and the locking mechanism and shelves.

I note that the cabinets are predrilled along to top and bottom of the sides, so that you can bolt multiple cabinets together. This really helps keep things level.

The next cabinet I put up was the six drawer base unit. Note that I made it shorter than the storage cabinets (which had to be high to clear the step). It was just too tall especially with the work top, so I made the base cabinets shorter.

It comes prebuilt--the only thing you have to do is attach the handles and legs if applicable.

The construction on these is really nice. All the drawers have liners (not the greatest but better than nada)

Uner the liner you find thoughtful design to make the drawer strong.

Full extension drawers with ball bearings. I rate the slide mechanisms a 7. Not the best but probably about right for this price point. 2 slides on the bigger bottom drawers

Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
bdamico

Now for the uppers. Essentially same construction as the tall storage cabinets. I lined three across the top.

A nice detail is that these have trays on the underside to put lights. I'll get to that later. And this is essentially where I am now. I still have another cabinet to build, backsplash and electrical. Unfortunately, work and everything else is getting in the way but this will hopefully be done soon. Then soffit cabinets above, minisplit, and sink (where the water heater is)...

Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
jwhcars

I like the look.
jwhcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
teamacacia

bdamico, in your last pic is that above the garage door wire grating for storage? If so, where did you find it?
teamacacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
c7fx

looks good
c7fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamacacia View Post
bdamico, in your last pic is that above the garage door wire grating for storage? If so, where did you find it?
Yeah. I hate it. Wish I never did it. Going to tear it down and build a soffit above my new cabinets. You can do a search for overhead garage storage. There's like one or two companies that sell these under different names. Or you can just build it yourself all it is a boltless industrial shelf unit bolted to the ceiling that they charge you tripple for. So go search for boltless shelf components and build one yourself.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Bostonbmw

I do not see them on the website. What is the pricing like ?
Bostonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
sublimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbmw View Post
I do not see them on the website. What is the pricing like ?
http://sabercabinets.com/b_Saber-Magnum.html
sublimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
Bostonbmw

Thanks for taking the time to post some photos they look great!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
teamacacia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimate View Post
Thanks for the link. Their website is interesting.
teamacacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
cdd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamacacia View Post
Thanks for the link. Their website is interesting.
Agreed. They have an interesting comparison that should be helpful for those in the market for cabinets.

http://sabercabinets.com/a_Brand-comparison.html

I have the 18 gauge New Age and am generally pleased with them.
cdd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Bostonbmw

cdd1 which New Age cabinets did you get, do you have any photos?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdd1 View Post
Agreed. They have an interesting comparison that should be helpful for those in the market for cabinets.

http://sabercabinets.com/a_Brand-comparison.html

I have the 18 gauge New Age and am generally pleased with them.
I will say that I very actively looked at all other options in the market in this relative price range--especially because Saber's new product line was delayed for quite some time. I considered Redline, Hercke, and New Age (and a bunch of others I can't recall right now). In the end, I went with Saber because of the pricing, look, and the huge capacity of Saber cabinets. I really don't think there's much competition in this price range.

I also have noted that a lot of people on this forum will say that anything not welded (New Age is) is automatically crap. I couldn't disagree more. This stuff is really strong and like a rock especially when bolted to the wall. For most people, there is little need to have anything stronger or heavier.

Last edited by bdamico; 10-16-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
c7fx

They look great so far any finished pictures? I'm still trying to figure out what I want to get but these are in the running for sure
c7fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7fx View Post
They look great so far any finished pictures? I'm still trying to figure out what I want to get but these are in the running for sure
probably not for a week or two as work got in the way
Old 10-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
cdd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbmw View Post
cdd1 which New Age cabinets did you get, do you have any photos?
I got the 18 gauge Pro Series--they were on sale at Costco, 1499 for six cabinets, I bought 2 sets. Here's the only photo I have with me at work--this was the first day they came in and I hadn't hung the wall cabinets yet. I can take some additional shots (fully installed) when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdamico View Post
I will say that I very actively looked at all other options in the market in this relative price range--especially because Saber's new product line was delayed for quite some time. I considered Redline, Hercke, and New Age (and a bunch of others I can't recall right now). In the end, I went with Saber because of the pricing, look, and the huge capacity of Saber cabinets. I really don't think there's much competition in this price range.

I also have noted that a lot of people on this forum will say that anything not welded (like New Age) is automatically crap. I couldn't disagree more. This stuff is really strong and like a rock especially when bolted to the wall. For most people, there is little need to have anything stronger or heavier.
Just a quick FYI, the New Age cabinets are welded. IIRC, only the RTA series is not (probably obviously).
cdd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
jesse72

Looking good!
jesse72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
lowheat

I like those, looks great.
lowheat is offline   Reply With Quote