Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #21
rwhite692

Default Re: BendPak Lifts vs. Backyard Buddy (BYB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlover View Post
BendPak's literature? Are you sure? I don't see this posted anywhere on their site...
The link to Bend-Pak's Literature (in which they go after BYB tit-for-tat) is included in revlover's original post (first post in this thread...that's what started this whole discussion)...Looks like it is a document created by Bend-Pak, and posted on metro lift's site...

http://www.metro-lifts.com/backyardb...ak_compare.pdf

Last edited by rwhite692; 04-10-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add link
rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #22
32roadster

yep...BYB must be kickin' their little arses and this is a defense mechanism.
32roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #23
SILVERPLATE

There is a lot of issues to look at and compare when considering lifts, I am leaning towards the purchase of a a SuperLift 4 post. www.superlifts.com

Very nice people to talk with and answer questions clearly.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
Junkman

Nothing new where one company picks on another companies weakness, and exploits it. GM, Ford, Chrysler, and all the rest of the automobile companies have been doing it for as long as I can remember, and that is more that 60 years. The difference between Bend Pak and Backyard Buddy going at each others product is that Backyard Buddy hasn't fought back, since they can't find fault with the Bend Pak unit. Certainly there is enough customers for each of them to survive, but each wants to get to be top dog in the industry. You don't become top dog unless you point out your strengths and the competitions weakness. Backyard Buddy seems to be taking all this criticism lying down, and we all know what happens when a company doesn't respond. They loose in the end.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #25
shocksystems

Send a message via MSN to shocksystems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERPLATE View Post
There is a lot of issues to look at and compare when considering lifts, I am leaning towards the purchase of a a SuperLift 4 post. www.superlifts.com

Very nice people to talk with and answer questions clearly.
Their 4 post lift seems to be only 7K pound capacity though. Might be a bit undersized for an SUV or similar.

Cheers!

Jim
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #26
JSK

Gotta love this site - what a huge resource for lift buyers. Sorry for not posting a reply earlier.

One thing for sure, motorheads sure have got a lot of free time on their hands!

I'm amazed at the lengthy posts some of the BendPak fans out there have written. Thank you does not express my sincere appreciation for all your kind words – REVLOVER, ovilla, Junkman, tubeman,

It is not a BendPak sales strategy to “attack’ the competition – it is simply not necessary, our products sell themselves.

However, if there was ever a company that needed a little political correctness adjustment, it was the crew at Backyard Buddy. Do a search on Backyard Buddy in any auto forum and read how many strings contain words similar to this…..”I was all ready to purchase a Backyard Buddy until I met them at the _______ show. Their salesman was a complete ______ and it turned me off completely. All they did was attack the competition and did a lot of trash talking”.

Auto enthusiasts hear their drivel and get turned off – I hear their bantering and get pissed. If you want to draw swords you better get ready to back your poop up.

For those who may be misguided into believing that Backyard Buddy is taking market share from BendPak, let’s check in with each other in about 24-months. AutoLifters was at one time considered a “competitor”; their business model very similar. Both fine producers of lifts, but faced with fierce adversaries with much deeper pockets - domestic hobby vs. global commercial.

I have too read the BYB vs. BendPak piece and to be quite honest, like it very much. It was written by another wrencher that was given an opportunity. His non-bias article truly seems to have helped quench the flame from the mouths of the fire breathers at Backyard Buddy - maybe they’ll eventually learn a lesson in humility.

The “opportunity” given to the wrencher, is now officially being passed on to others on this site; those of you who own or can write a detailed report comparing the BendPak HD-9 series lift(s) to these other brands. (Similar in style to the BYB vs. BendPak piece). Only two reports per brand will be considered, so first-come-first-serve.

• ProPark
• Super Lifts

BendPak will ship one of our HD-9 models to your location at 50% normal street price. The savings would exceed $1000.00.

For that, BendPak would expect a multi-page, detailed comparison similar to the BYB piece mentioned previously. The report should contain illustrations, photos or other information that would help a prospective lift buyer make qualified comparisons. The report should be truthful and non-bias.

BendPak would be willing to supply “authors” with ASM Solid Works files for any detailed illustrations you require. You will be responsible for providing detailed illustrations for the competitive brands. ASM files can be viewed using E-Drawings Viewer that can be downloaded free off the internet.

BendPak does not condone trash talking and would not endorse any works from authors written with hostile tones. Reports should be factual and focus on structural design, durability, safety, ease of use, aesthetics etc.

For further details, please send email to ... sales@bendpak.com and mention this opportunity as posted on Garage Journal.com.

Competitively yours,

Jeff Kritzer
SR. VP.
BendPak Inc.
JSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #27
revlover

Heck I'd go for that, but I have no more room in my garage for another BendPak lift...

Maybe I should just build another garage
revlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #28
e-tek

OK - so after reading all this HOT air....which one should I buy?? That's all I want to know!!
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #29
Aahz

By a Revolution Lift by Rotary. (The product puts BOTH company's products to shame...)
Aahz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #30
e-tek

OMG - figures the only one offered up as a "must buy" is the one with the lowest lift height (63" on the Standard Lift), a"non-slip" surface (vs. checker-plating), a host of "Revolution Exclusives" - which aren't (Locking Ladder System, etc) and a price that's not very competitive.

After looking at ALL the lifts and deciding based on the best buy for my needs and money, I'm going with the DIRECT Lift from an actual Lift COMPANY (ADG Forward). They have the most features (not every feature), an industry standard locking and lift system (no trashing the competition), the highest lift (80" on the 8 PLUS!!) AND the BEST PRICE (including casrters, drip trays and jack tray)***********AND I DON'T SELL LIFTS!!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #31
revlover

Has anyone gone for JSK's deal?

What happened?
revlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #32
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692 View Post
Bend-Pak's literature really goes after (attacks, really) Backyard Buddy directly and by name and is is quite maliciously written in tone as well. .
I also haven't seen BendPak go after any other lifts. I have however seen ads by BYB comparing thier lifts (esp. lock system) to others. They also have an add showing other lifts collapsing.
I spoke to BendPak yesterday and they certainly weren't talking trash. It is however a VERY competitive business - obviously many people are in it to import some junk and some cash - so the first thing I lok for is longevity.
Caveat Emptor!!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #33
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlover View Post
Has anyone gone for JSK's deal?

What happened?
It's not that I'm going for the "deal", but at first I wrote I was going with aDirectLift by ADGForward and now, after more research and speaking to BOTH companies, I'm leaning back to BendPak. They are a nationally and internationally recognized company, have many satisfied customers, all the goods (lock systems, etc) and answered all my questions. They also have the high lift (81"), low profile ramps, etc.

Regardless of where I end up, I'll post my exploits here and on other sites for all to see.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #34
GCalo

So e-Tek, which lift did you buy?

It's a dilemma finding a lift.

It's like trying to find the right woman!
GCalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #35
e-tek

This is a VERY old thread!! I bought a BendPak HD9-XTW (xtra Tall and Wide) and love it!!! I posted a Lift Thread putting it together and you can see it in many of my shop threads. I like the extra locking system, the wide ramps, the customer service. I just ordered a scissor-jack for it so I can get wheels off cars more easily. It has huge wheels on it's caster set, soemthing I've seen much smaller on others.
BTW - I'm not affiliated with BP, just a happy customer. Good luck in your search, you'll LOVE having a lift - as much as you'll love finding the right woman!!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #36
BendPak

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-tek View Post
This is a VERY old thread!! I bought a BendPak HD9-XTW (xtra Tall and Wide) and love it!!! I posted a Lift Thread putting it together and you can see it in many of my shop threads. I like the extra locking system, the wide ramps, the customer service. I just ordered a scissor-jack for it so I can get wheels off cars more easily. It has huge wheels on it's caster set, soemthing I've seen much smaller on others.
BTW - I'm not affiliated with BP, just a happy customer. Good luck in your search, you'll LOVE having a lift - as much as you'll love finding the right woman!!
Thanks everyone! And special thanks to e-tek for helping us with our testimonials page. Check it out!
BendPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #37
TagMan

FWIW, I bought my BYB 16-years ago. It's been used on an average of 4-5 times per week over that time and I've never had a problem with it and have felt safe & secure working under it.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #38
Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
FWIW, I bought my BYB 16-years ago. It's been used on an average of 4-5 times per week over that time and I've never had a problem with it and have felt safe & secure working under it.
Funny that you should make this post today, and that I found it by clicking on "New Posts". I felt the same way using my old cable operated Walker 4 post lift that was manufactured back in the 1950's, until one day when I noticed that one of the cables had frayed.. I felt that it would be a good lift for the rest of my life, until I realized that if that cable were to snap with me under it, that the rest of my life would be over on that day. I didn't sell that lift, but I did cut it up with a torch so no one would ever use it again, and possibly be injured or killed. I purchased a Bend Pak HD 9, and realized how much 4 post lifts have evolved over the years. I liked the safety features that are now incorporated into the lifts, the convenience of having a lift that can be moved around the garage, or even taken outside. I like the rolling jack that my new lift has, vs. the old method of using a bottle jack to lift the car. Times have changed, and sometimes, you need to reevaluate the old tried and true equipment to see how antiquated it really is. I have seen the BYB lifts almost every year for the past 15 years or so being demonstrated at car shows. The one thing that I can say is that they haven't changed much at all. I remember fondly the awe that I had in my mind those many years ago, when I first saw the BYB thinking that one day when my old Walker were to die, I would buy a BYB. When it came time to purchase a new lift, I started to evaluate the many choices available to me at a reasonable cost. I chose the Bend Pak over the BYB and many others based on quality, safety, and cost. The BYB was more expensive and couldn't come close to the safety factor of the Bend Pak. Today, when I see a BYB lift being demonstrated at a car show, I wonder why they still have never updated their lifts with more modern technology for safety sake. Then I think of how BYB so closely resembles an old Model T.. Henry Ford never wanted to change the design for fear of loosing sales, until he was forced to. Then he made the leap to the Model A, which like the Model T had a long and successful run of years, but eventually, like the Model T, became outdated. BYB is the modern day equivalent of Henry's Model T. Bend Pak is a successful manufacturer in the 4 post lift market that is constantly improving the product, and always reassessing how to make it safer and better. If you feel safe under your BYB, great... I hope for your sake that it never fails you.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #39
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostory View Post
I recently bought a Greg Smith 4 post lift. My lift has a similar "slack cable" safety lock. So BendPak is not the only lift with this system.

While the "slack cable" lock is nice, the lift will fall up to 4 inches before the latch has a chance to catch. I do not know if it would really work, it might just fly by and not catch in the square hole.

I am not really worried about a cable break. The cables are very big and I may run the lift up & down once a week. So how much wear & tear will I really put on this lift? This is the main reason I went with a cheaper lift, it meets my needs without breaking the bank. If I were a shop that used the lift every day, I would have spent more money and gotten a more "heavy duty" lift.
I don't really understand the above rant...when I put a car on my (BP!) lift, I lower it down until the static AND safety locks are engaged. That way the cables are not holding the weight alone. Why would you rest a load on the cables alone? That seems to be poor SOP.

From the online manual: "ALWAYS INSURE that the safeties are engaged and lowered on to the safety ladders before any attempt is made to work
on or near vehicle."