Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Sureshot

Default Cutting Concrete

I have an old cement patio that a large tree has wrecked over the years. I built a new two level deck and used one end of the concrete to set the deck on. I recently had a skid steer in for some other work and got them to take some of the broken slab. I am left with a piece I would like to cut flush with the new deck.

I have considered drilling it for weak points or scoring it with my 7" Makita grinder and a ???? blade and breaking it there with a front end loader. It has no rebar in it and the wire mesh or whatever was in it is corroded and gone. Or should I spring for the rental saw and do it right?

Anyone with experience cutting and breaking concrete?
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
LvDemKings

Default Re: Cutting Concrete

I just rented a concrete saw this past weekend to make a clean cut on my backyard patio. It is definitely worth it (roughly $100). I also just finished breaking about 6 tons with a jackhammer and bobcat. It makes a really clean cut, but now I'm looking to see if there is such a thing as a concrete router to create a rounded edge.
LvDemKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Garage5.9

Go rent a target saw with a diamond blade or you can use regular abbrasive blades but they burn up fast and get costly. Make sure to use lots of water and wear a respirator you dont want to be breathing diamond dust and cement dust.

Garage5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Craddosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage5.9 View Post
Go rent a target saw with a diamond blade or you can use regular abbrasive blades but they burn up fast and get costly. Make sure to use lots of water and wear a respirator you dont want to be breathing diamond dust and cement dust.

This is exactly what to do. I cut concrete for two years while in school. The respirator is a must (use the kind with a disposal filter) due to the silica in concrete. Not the best stuff to breath in. Proper eye protection, steel toe boots, and long pants are also big on the safety stuff. When your done cutting, it's usually easiest to strip, wash the cloths and have a shower. That dust will get everywhere...

Also, ensure that the blade on the saw can do to a proper depth for your concrete (check the radius minus the flange). Using a hand saw is very effective, albeit time consuming. For straight cuts, mark it out with a chalk line then plunge cut your way along it.

Last edited by Craddosk; 10-16-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Craddosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
MadMechMaster

A gas saw with water will keep the dust down. I recently rented a 14" from Home Depot for $44- 4 hours. I only needed 1 1/2 hours for a 20' long cut.
MadMechMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
GarageEnvy

I tried the hole approach without any success. I had already used a concrete saw along the edge of this cut but it failed to go all the way through the slab. The holes were to hopefully prevent the bobcat from lifting the foundation under the wall. In the end I found that the footing was wide to the garage side of the wall and had to be torn out anyway so this whole cutting/drilling experience was a waste. The gray line about shoulder height on my wife is the muck from the concrete saw. As others have said, wear the right clothing and gear and prepare to be tired and messy.

Photobucket
GarageEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Sureshot

I rented the Stihl 420 with a "cart" and it worked awesome. It had the water hook up and not a bit of dust. Cut up the rest of the slab into manageable pieces as well. That cart was well worth the extra rent.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
MadMechMaster

I think that for my project also, cutting the slab up went easier that renting a breaker hammer too.

I strapped my slab sections to a hand truck to move them around. A neighbor ended up taking them to extend his patio.
MadMechMaster is offline   Reply With Quote