Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
deepsea

Default enclosed carport as a shop

Any of you guys or gals had good bad or indifferent luck with using an 'enclosed carport' as a universal shop. The building will be multi purpose and can be built for around $16000 with a 4" concrete slab. 30 x 40 x 10 with 1 roll up 1 access and a pair of windows. Will metal carport style construction be sufficient for a general purpose workshop or should I be looking at heavier duty type construction. Suggestion for some of the suppliers that do it right the first time?
deepsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Crusty Nut

Default Re: enclosed carport as a shop

what is the difference between an enclosed car port and a garage? Any space with a roof is better than no space so do the best you can with what you've got and get your fab on.

707-599-2315

I am a tool user, not a tool polisher
Crusty Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
John in OH

Do some searching here on GJ. I recall someone taking one of the basic el-cheapo steel carports (about 20' x 20') and enclosing it and adding an overhead door to make a shop. IIRC, it was a build thread with lots of photos. It didn't turn out too bad at all.
John in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
deepsea

Difference is usung 2" x 2" posts vs I beams. 29 gauge steel vs something thicker. I know I wont be able to fit up a chain hoist to the ceiling or hang heavy shelves on the walls without reinforcement. Just cant afford to build it twice if those carports are built flimsy and the whole thing will come crashing down in 5 years or so. 'Built to last as long as its not abused' I guess is what Im going after. Probably I lot of weekend warriors that can see where Im coming from
Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Zeke

I get what you're saying. Around here, the local building dept has more to say about this than I do. I don't know a thing about Walker, LA. I'd guess weather would have something to do with it. You have a friend with anything like this for comparison?

I was in AL for 1 year and I know I'd rather be inside than outside no matter what was around me. Unless one of those 20 days a year occurred. Out here in CA, those 20 days stretch to about 300.

I work in an open carport.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
deepsea

Some of the suppliers Ive looked at are Eagle carports and TNT carports
Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
uniballer

This is what I was thinking of til I get more land next door. Glad I see others doing it, I wont feel like a redneck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geologist View Post
You don't mess with another man's box, truck, dog, tools, or woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Exactly that. I will show up ranting on his doorstep and throwing cats from my grocery cart and farting in his general direction.
uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
deepsea

Mueller is also an option. I need more opinions though
Old 10-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

What kind of record do those things have holding up against heavy winds like when it's hurricane season ?

Too me, 16 grand seems lilke a lot for a strcuture like that. (unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing)

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
John in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post
What kind of record do those things have holding up against heavy winds like when it's hurricane season ?

Too me, 16 grand seems lilke a lot for a strcuture like that. (unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing)
Yeah, $16k seemed like a lot to me too, but maybe he has a more robust carport in mind than what I was thinking. My mental picture was one of these el-cheapo steel units:

tnt-metal-carport.jpg

I'm not bashing these cheap carports ... I have several that I bought for cheap, quick, storage and they have worked out well for me. I got the ones with the fully enclosed sides, 6' sidewalls, and rear wall. Depending on the dimensions, height of side wall selected, and number of full-height walls the cost of these things erected is anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500 more or less. Ground prep or slab is, of course, additional.

A note for anyone considering one of these ... if you ever intend to add an overhead door, make sure you get a sidewall height that will accommodate a future header, door rails, rise of door, etc.
John in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
OccupantRJ

I had one of the cheap carports at my previous home to store a tractor under. When I bought this house, I poured a slab, disassembled the carport, and moved it here. To gain wall height and make use of a garage door I had on hand, I laid a row of blocks around the perimeter of the slab, added a pressure treated 2 X 4, then anchored the building to it. OSB and vinyl siding was added to the ends. It is used as a storage barn for my contingency materials, forklift, and power equipment. It has been well worth doing, and I have seen the time I would have loved to have one for a shop. You may want to consider doing something similar as a short term shop, then use it as a storage barn after building a full size structure. It sure keeps a lot of non-essential crap out of my workshop. The pics are before the trim was installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg building 004.jpg (93.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg building 005.jpg (108.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg storage barn 004.jpg (106.5 KB, 142 views)

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....

Last edited by OccupantRJ; 10-20-2012 at 09:09 AM.
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
fflintstone

the cheap carports are designed to suppoert themselves. if you have any amount of snow, plan on raking it off.
I have had two put up and am happy with the storage for the price paid.
I have the tin and metal studs to enclose the end wall on the second one. but I need a second person (male) to do that.

I saved a fair amount of money doing the sides myself.

I have a thread on them in the shop catagory.

number two

fflintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
J Persons

I bought a carport form Carolina Carports to store my trailer under. I think it was about $750 installed. I'm up in Natchitoches LA, just outside the city limits, and since it's not on a foundation there was no permitting required. It would be a simple project to enclose the sides and back, but I think a hinged barn door would work better for access than a roll up. The carport is secured to the ground using long steel rods that were driven through the bottom steel plate 2X2. Last year, we has a couple of tornados pass pretty close, probably within a mile or so, and I could detect no loosening of the steel hold down rods.

Last edited by J Persons; 10-20-2012 at 10:49 AM.
J Persons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
bczygan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea View Post
Any of you guys or gals had good bad or indifferent luck with using an 'enclosed carport' as a universal shop. The building will be multi purpose and can be built for around $16000 with a 4" concrete slab. 30 x 40 x 10 with 1 roll up 1 access and a pair of windows. Will metal carport style construction be sufficient for a general purpose workshop or should I be looking at heavier duty type construction. Suggestion for some of the suppliers that do it right the first time?
What kind of slab does that price include? What kind of structure? What kind of site prep and finish? What doors and windows? Insulation? Electrical? Etc...

Need all the details.
bczygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
dladcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupantRJ View Post
I had one of the cheap carports at my previous home to store a tractor under. When I bought this house, I poured a slab, disassembled the carport, and moved it here. To gain wall height and make use of a garage door I had on hand, I laid a row of blocks around the perimeter of the slab, added a pressure treated 2 X 4, then anchored the building to it. OSB and vinyl siding was added to the ends. It is used as a storage barn for my contingency materials, forklift, and power equipment. It has been well worth doing, and I have seen the time I would have loved to have one for a shop. You may want to consider doing something similar as a short term shop, then use it as a storage barn after building a full size structure. It sure keeps a lot of non-essential crap out of my workshop. The pics are before the trim was installed.

I've got the same deal. 6 Foot walls, on a slab. Houses the air compressor, wood boiler, Mig welder, lawn tools, drill press, belt sanders and table saw. I use it mainly as the "dirty shop" to keep crap off the old car.

A large pine tree fell on it a few years back, wiped out one corner, but amazingly it had more integrity than I gave it credit for. When we repaired the building, I spot welded all the connectors and posts at the joining points. It seems to be 10 times stronger than before.

I know a racer guy that rented for years. He Had a similar building with a wooden floor and a slab to park the race car on just outside the building. He eventually built a great house and shop, sold the building for what he had in it and left the 8x10 slab behind. I always thought he was pretty smart to maintain his hobby, semi-permanent, getting most of his investment back.

dla
dladcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
Schwinn68

I was looking into a similar structure to put my 5th wheel camper in. I wasn't wanting to put up a full blown pole barn as all it will be used for is storage. A pole barn would be over 20,000 plus site prep and foundation where the carport could be installed for under 5000. Good to hear reports of these withstanding some good wind and storms. My other concern would be a snow and ice load rating as I live in Illinois and its been know to snow here. Please keep this updated with what you find.
Schwinn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
B964

I have been debating this for a while. I keep coming back to do I want to spend money on a shelter or money on things to put in the shelter? I can get a 24x41x12 enclosed steel carport/garage with 2 roll up doors, two walk in doors and six windows for about $10,500 installed. 12 gauge, certified wind and snow load rated. A six inch thick slab, 12 inch around the edges with full rebar for about $4,500. $15, 000 complete. The same size pole barn quote was $20,000 plus concrete. The carport/garage samples they have at the lot seem very strong and they have been sitting out years in full wind and snow. I figure if I line the inside with 4x8 plywood it with stiffen it up even more. 10 grand savings with let me get a couple of lifts or other toys.
B964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
bczygan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B964 View Post
I have been debating this for a while. I keep coming back to do I want to spend money on a shelter or money on things to put in the shelter? I can get a 24x41x12 enclosed steel carport/garage with 2 roll up doors, two walk in doors and six windows for about $10,500 installed. 12 gauge, certified wind and snow load rated. A six inch thick slab, 12 inch around the edges with full rebar for about $4,500. $15, 000 complete. The same size pole barn quote was $20,000 plus concrete. The carport/garage samples they have at the lot seem very strong and they have been sitting out years in full wind and snow. I figure if I line the inside with 4x8 plywood it with stiffen it up even more. 10 grand savings with let me get a couple of lifts or other toys.
Something to think about.
Keeping your tools and projects safe and sound also involves conditioning the space. If you insulate and heat it will the structure support insulation, a ceiling of some sort and lighting? Is there a way to ventilate it? How will you heat it? Will the heater hang from the structure?
Are the doors insulated? Etc.
bczygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
B964

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczygan View Post
Something to think about.
Keeping your tools and projects safe and sound also involves conditioning the space. If you insulate and heat it will the structure support insulation, a ceiling of some sort and lighting? Is there a way to ventilate it? How will you heat it? Will the heater hang from the structure?
Are the doors insulated? Etc.
Spray foam, steel panel ceiling, wiring in exposed conduit and either radiant floor heat or radiant ceiling heat tubes. All all same cost that any other building would need.
B964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
Cougar67

OccupantRJ, Do you have any pictures of the framing you have holding up the garage door in post #11? It looks good!

edit: I guess I'm no good at quoting one picture.

Last edited by Cougar67; 10-20-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Cougar67 is offline   Reply With Quote