Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Tscott

Default Nut and bolt assortments. Worth it?

Anyone ever buy one of the assortment sets? I am tired of having to go bolt shopping every time I work on something. I'd like to get a good selection of nuts and bolts in the garage and then focus on keeping it stocked instead of buying bolts every few days for a project. Is it better to get an assortment prepackaged from a vendor or is it better to build your own assortment from a list of commonly used sizes and lengths? I'm currently rebuilding a Triumph Spitfire, so I need a bunch of fine thread SAE grade 8 bolts to get the Chassis back together. Most of the bigger kits come with a parts bin and run from $400 and up depending on quantities. Eventually I think it would be great to have standard and fine thread selections in both metric and SAE sizes, but that would be a few thousand dollars just in hardware. What do you guys do for bolts in your shop? Does anyone have a checklist of commonly used lengths and sizes they use to build their own assortment?

Tom
Tscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
MoparTrucks

Default Re: Nut and bolt assortments. Worth it?

No checklist or anything here but I buy a lot of bolts, nuts and washers at farm auctions and yard sales and mine any piece of junk I can get for spare parts and fasteners and keep quite a stock (we live in the sticks). My current problem is keeping them sorted and organized and I am looking for something with bins to get squared away. Its 22 miles to the closest place for me to buy a bolt so it pays to have a stock on hand.
MoparTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
APEowner

I bought boxes of course and fine thread SAE size nuts from #4 - 7/8 in grade 8 so that I don't have to scrounge for those. For bolts I buy a box whenever I need 1. I sprang for a wall slat box bin system for storage.
APEowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
BD1

Is there a place you can buy by the pound ? Farm and Fleet sells hardware like this. I would buy in bulk what you normally need . Actually, I think Amazon.com just started selling hardware.
BD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
signcrafter

When I need a bolt I will usually buy a few different sizes and lengths. Over the years I have gathered a pretty nice collection of hardware. Same thing goes for fittings and what not. If I need an air fitting I will buy a handful of different ones. Need a black pipe 3/4" 90, I will buy a couple of them and also 1/2" and an assortment of other fittings. Need an 8-32x1 1/2" bolt, I buy a box and then buy a box of 1" and 2" also, then buy a box of 6-32x1,1 1/2, and 2". So my one bolt turns into 6 or more boxes(100 pack) of screws. Gets a little expensive at first but the next time you need a bolt you should have it which means the bolt is "free" and you save a trip to the hardware store. The main thing is to keep things organized, I use plastic bins with dividers and I made a plywood shelf to hold them all.
signcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Tscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
Is there a place you can buy by the pound ? Farm and Fleet sells hardware like this. I would buy in bulk what you normally need . Actually, I think Amazon.com just started selling hardware.
By the pound? Nope, not anywhere around me. Local hardware store sells by the box but that's about it. I looked at Amazon supply and that may be an option, since my mother in law has Amazon prime, shipping may be free. If I have to buy individual sizes, I need to figure out what the common sizes are, but to be honest I've never really kept track of what I use. I typically buy what I need and then forget about it. I've looked for a typical bolt inventory list but come up empty. I guess I could make one and just ball park it by buying the middle 50% or so of available bolt sizes in common lengths if I had to.

Tom
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

When I built my fastener storage, I started buying bolt buy the pound. Every trip to twon I would stop at TSC and buy a lb or two of what was on my list. Now all I have to do is keep it stocked when it runs low.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
kyles974

i went to tractor supply and bought by pound...have lasted me years,,,,almost got to go soon and its been ten tears
kyles974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
WILD-BILL

I'm in the process of putting something together and so far the best deals I've seen were from a seller called rivercityindustrialsupply on Ebay.

I was looking hard a the their 1255 price kit but it has some things I don't need and is missing some I do want.

I'm currently waiting on a reply for a quote on a custom assortment.

They seem reasonable as far as prices and shipping.

Last edited by WILD-BILL; 10-22-2012 at 10:03 AM.
WILD-BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Lippyp

Their used to be a company over here that did complete sets of nuts and bolts for a spitfire rebuild in both mild or stainless steel.

These guys do mark 1/2/3 sets

http://www.aseriesspares.co.uk/class...s/cat_203.html

Lover and hoarder of scruffy old tat

My garage build thread. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=131797
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
OctoMan

A lot of those assortment kits are usually from some mickey mouse country of origin. If what you're using them for is not critical then go for it. Buy by the pound if you can and try to get good US made stuff. Use only original (If possible) hardware on the Spit or good US made nuts, bolts, washers. I have a lot of mil-spec grade stuff on the MG.

Make sure you organize it all. I'm rebuilding a MGB and for months had to sort through washers and such to find what I needed. One night I just took a few hours and sorted all the hardware and a few beers later I had everything sorted. Most of what you'll need for the Triumph is under 11/16". Good luck on the Spit!
OctoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Vegaman_Dan

A large assortment will cost you a bunch of money, but will have most of what you want...not necessarily what you *need* though.

My philosophy is to buy extra when you buy any bolts. If I need 8-10 bolts of a certain size, then for a couple of dollars more it's usually worth buying a box instead. Do I need that many? No, but now I have stock for next time. I weigh the decision to buy a few extra on any project versus my time and fuel to go back to the store go get ONE bolt that I'm missing. Am I willing to pay $3-4 now to make sure I don't have to make that project-stopping trip next time?

I bought a set of used metal bolt cabinets with slide out removable drawer sections. Each one has about 20 bins inside. For years I've been buying hardware and keeping it all in a variety of locations in bags, boxes, cans, etc. Finally getting someplace to put all of it in one place has been very handy. Some things I go through a lot, like 3/8" coarse thread in 1" to 3" sizes. Plus lots of nuts, washers, and split rings.

Triumph Spitfires are hungry thing for metal. You'll need a lot of hardware. That British iron was pretty weak to start with, and a lot of suspension bolts I dealt with during my frame off work needed replacement.

Oh, you'll also need lots of oil. And light bulbs. It *is* a Triumph, after all. I've had plenty of experience with my '68 Mk III.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
Tscott

The Triumph is a Mk4 and belong to my father in law. I bagged and tagged everything, but I'm a fan of changing all bolts for new instead of cleaning up the old. Just a little extra security. At this point I am looking at just buying a parts bin set up that mounts to the wall and starting as many of you have suggested. Buying in bulk in the common sizes I will need. I was unaware that TSC sold by the pound, I have to swing by tomorrow and see what selection they have and perhaps just grab a few bags. I have seen the ebay seller mentioned above and they do seem to have a lot of sets so I may look into that, but it's a little tough shelling out that much cash for hardware I don't need yet.

Tom
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
EOC_Jason

I've got a bazillion bins and such with nuts and bolts that have just built up over the years. Sometimes I can find an exact replacement, sometimes I can find one close-enough, sometimes I have no choice but to go down to the local sears and get what I need...

If it's a project where I'm planning all my materials and such or a repair where I've completely disassembled something, I'll usually go buy the exact bolts (or better) to replace before I put things back together. Otherwise I would spend half my day trying to find half a dozen nuts & bolts exactly the same in my bins of randomness...

Unfortunately also I find that a lot of things end up being metric and/or fine-thread, both of which are also instant trips to the Sears Hardware...

If the Sears ever goes out of business, I'm sooooo buying their isle of nuts & bolts... I will add-on to my shop just to have that!
EOC_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Vegaman_Dan

Sears sells bolts? Sears in my area are largely clothing / home stores with a token tool area. I've never seen a hardware section with bolts/consummables before.

Another place I am keeping an eye out on is Radio Shack. Since they stopped selling radios years ago in favor of cell phone accessories, they are converting to mall outlets only. Sears (their owner) plans to discontinue the tools and parts entirely. The parts bins they have in each store for all the switches, knobs, misc parts will be ideal for our usage and will be surplus at some point.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
Falcon67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles974 View Post
i went to tractor supply and bought by pound...have lasted me years,,,,almost got to go soon and its been ten tears
This. I use this
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-versatrack-trackwall/p-00910124000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

And these
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959412000P

And keep bins of short (under 3"), long, flat/split/star washers, nuts for all sizes 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2". Grade 3, 5 and 8. I did spend some bucks at a local fastener house for 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 flange nuts because buying them at Lowes/HD is crazy high based on the price for onesy-twosy.

And yes - about 20% of the time I don't have the damn bolt I need in length X

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread

Last edited by Falcon67; 10-22-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
EOC_Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaman_Dan View Post
Sears sells bolts? Sears in my area are largely clothing / home stores with a token tool area. I've never seen a hardware section with bolts/consummables before.
"Sears Hardware" does...

There is:

Sears - Usually @ malls... sells clothing, appliances, etc...
Sears Hardware - Stand alone store... Kind of like a small HD/Lowes
Sears Outlet - Sells appliances and some tools...
EOC_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
jimindm

I have seen plenty of sae sold by the pound at several places, but anything metric not so much. Find a bolt supply company close to you. My brother happens to work for one. They will ussually have a bin that is taking up room that they want to move. Also they can and will make you a deal on an assortment, to try to get your business. If they are the manufacturer of the stuff, their cost is mere peanuts, so they can make you a good deal. Some even have a larger catalog that they sell from.

My brother sponsers several race cars, from people actually asking him for product instead of cash. Every year he gets hit up by many for cash, but just a few for product. One is a freind of the family, and his sponsership costs by brother very little, but he got very, very well stocked bins the first year. Now they stay completely full, and he is using their chemicals.
jimindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
BDT/NWMN

If you are close to a good supplier that is reasonably priced; I would tend to keep only a modest hardware selection in my shop...

Being that I am out in the stix; I attempt to keep an ample supply on hand, and prefer to do bolt shopping by the pound.. Four, six, or ten of each common size usually cover most needs... Much used Sizes such as 3/8" nuts are bought in larger amounts... This system works for me.

Fine thread metric bolts are less common locally, so I recently bought a assortment which came in a 16 compartment Durham drawer with lid.. Neat storage solution that is portable.. Downside being it has 25 of each bolt, which is a bit overkill for my needs..
BDT/NWMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
Spudland_Dave

One word...Fastenal.
Started doing business there and have loved it ever since...I get pretty much everything there. Nuts & Bolts are no exception...when I buy, I buy a bag quantity and have leftover.
Alot of times I see the bolt assortments on sale and you get a "Free" Durham steel bolt bin...only reason I dont have one yet is I never had space before this year. My bolt assortments are in Kitty Litter pails...4 seperate pails for less then 1/2", bigger then 1/2", larger then 1" and Metric.
I only use TSC when its last minute/weekend project.
Spudland_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote