Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
pmilin

Default Epoxy floor using Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad

Hi all,

I am getting ready to coat my garage floor with Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad HS product. I thought I would chronicle my experience in case someone else is thinking about using this product. They have lots of color choices. I chose Rhombus.

Last edited by pmilin; 10-23-2012 at 10:57 PM.
pmilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
pmilin

Default Re: Epoxy floor using Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad

I choose to acid etch the floor. I have done this before with good results. I mixed 1 1/2 pt muriatic acid with 1 gallon of water and applied it to the floor with a flower sprinkler can. Wet the floor first.

I let the solution fizz for a few minutes then I scrubbed it with a stiff brush. I rinsed the floor several times afterward and squeegeed it dry. I tried using a mop to dry it but fibers from the mop were sticking to the roughened concrete.

I will have to wait a few days for it to dry.

Last edited by pmilin; 10-23-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
pmilin

Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
pmilin

I finally got the floor epoxied. I did it a while back but was having trouble posting pictures at the time so I am posting the pics now.

I used a lint free roller from Sherwin Williams.

I mixed the two part solution in a bucket and let it sweat in from 45 minutes or so. Sweat in time is important as it helps reduce bubbles. I then spread it out with the 18" roller cutting in with a brush as I went along.

I had to give it two coats as some areas etched more than others. The areas that etched more didn't cover as well.

I went with a solid color and color no chips. Tile Clad doesn't require a clear coat so the process was pretty easy.

I am now getting ready to paint the walls and ceiling.

Last edited by pmilin; 12-27-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
HotrodHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilin View Post
I finally got the floor epoxied. I did it a while back but was having trouble posting pictures at the time so I am posting the pics now.

I used a lint free roller from Sherwin Williams.

I mixed the two part solution in a bucket and let it sweat in from 45 minutes or so. Sweat in time is important as it helps reduce bubbles. I then spread it out with the 18" roller cutting in with a brush as I went along.

I had to give it two coats as some areas etched more than others. The areas that etched more didn't cover as well.

I went with a solid color and color no chips. Tile Clad doesn't require a clear coat so the process was pretty easy.

I am now getting ready to paint the walls and ceiling.

Looks nice in pics... how about a close up. I guess it's too early to n]know how the finish will perform...

Costs and coverage info?
HotrodHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
SNOW JW

Did the same exact system in a 3bay car garage. Works well after 3 years it looks good.

Wished we would have done the chips though.
SNOW JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
bernialisha

Wow, it is looking very nice and great, i heard that epoxy and concrete flooring are working good and it lives more number of years. Thanks for sharing such an useful information with us.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
pmilin

As requested, here are a couple of close up pictures of the floor. It looks more orange peel than it really is. I chose to go with a smooth finish instead of the chips because I wanted a super smooth finish and because I thought the chips would make it hard to find dropped screws, etc. on the floor. Of course not having the chips doesn't hide the imperfections in the floor as well.

Some of the small imperfections and paint roller hairs will wear off.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
240zs30

Looks really nice. Can't wait to do something like this.
240zs30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
pmilin

So far the floor is holding up well. I have used this product before and it will dull down a bit with use, sunlight, and repeated cleaning, etc.

Coverage of this product is about 1 gallon of epoxy plus 1 gallon of hardener (2 gallons total) to cover approximately 500 sqft. It depends on how thick you want it.

When I did it I mixed more than needed so about a quart of the mix went to waste. To do the second coat I had to buy more product. I figured the second coat would cover more square footage so I adjusted the mix accordingly.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
4everRS

Thanks for documenting your story. I am casually shipping for an epoxy product and this one is on my list.

I will likely do chips and would like a clear coat. Will the SW product work well with a clear coat? And what is the general consensus on the best top coats?
4everRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
pmilin

I think you can use a top coat. Someone on here did that using this product. Do a search for tile clad or sherwin williams.

Here is a link about clear coating this product.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ight=tile+clad

Here is another guy who top coated his:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=73603
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
munkey

Here is another guy who top coated his:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=73603[/QUOTE]

That's mine. I have done 3 floors this way with no issues; Tile Clad base coats with a topcoat of ArmorSeal Rexthane (a moisture cure urethane). It is stinky stuff and takes some skill to apply, but is extremely durable. I definitely recommend this system after seeing it in action for several years now.
munkey is offline   Reply With Quote