Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Sureshot

Default Duramax starting issue

My 05 2500HD with Duramax has an intermittent issue with starting or the starter "sensor". It cranks but kicks out like it thinks it started. It has done it off and on but in the last day or two has gotten worse and I would like to get it fixed. I am thinking they must have a sensor or something detecting ??? to keep from engaging the starter while running.

I made a short audio file of a few attempts then it starting.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56347875/Dmax%20Starting.m4a

Can't remember for sure but around 230k miles on it never touched.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
atomicsaladbowl

Default Re: Duramax starting issue

Can you possibly just bypass the sensor? I would imagine if you could figure out where it is and just bypassing it or replacing it wouldn't be that bad.

I have a chevy cavalier that has that sensor that won't allow the starter to engage while the car is running, but never owned anything else with that, or maybe I did, most vehicles I had were too loud to not be able to tell they were running haha!

I would think the sensor just went bad, or maybe there is a short to ground for the wiring that goes to this sensor? just a thought, good luck!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Sureshot

I did a little google search and seems it may be the starter. It acted worse today and I thought I had pushed my luck too far. Spins with no engagement. Ever since new it has "ground" on engagement once in a blue moon but never enough to get me too concerned. If I can get through the next couple days I will have time to swap it out. I hate to drive my "nice" truck for work.
Sounds like some have had trouble with the reman starters as well. Anyone with experience?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
pop pop

I know absolutely nothing about a diesel, but you have the classic symptoms of a failing starter "bendix" which is an overrun clutch on the end of the starter motor.
pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
pl_silverado

Common problem. Replace the starter and be done with it. I've had a few duramaxs over the years, and remember doing starters on two of them.
pl_silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
chickenhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop pop View Post
...you have the classic symptoms of a failing starter "bendix" which is an overrun clutch on the end of the starter motor.
^^^^
chickenhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
aussiek2000

Sound like the starter (not everything is because of a sensor). Have fun changing it though. Downpipe has to come off.
aussiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
oilslick

I would get a acdelco and yes it doe suck cuz of downpipe.
oilslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Sureshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiek2000 View Post
Sound like the starter (not everything is because of a sensor). Have fun changing it though. Downpipe has to come off.
I am well aware. I was trying to get some input as to the sensor's role in why you can't engage the starter when the truck is running. The way the problem started and has been very intermittent but consistent in the cut out just as the truck would normally fire lead me to think other than the starter. The way it is acting today I think it is the starter.

I have had three Duramax trucks but never took one this far for mileage. It acted up with the grinding noise once in a blue moon since new so I guess it should be no surprise. As usual it is at a most busy time. I wonder if I show up at 8am and wine if I can get it in tomorrow ahead of everyone else.

Last edited by Sureshot; 10-24-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
pl_silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiek2000 View Post
You can finagle it in and leave the downpipe in place....well at least i have never pulled it off...
pl_silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

is it cranking over fast enough ?
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Lotek

There is no "starter sensor", the ecm reads the crank sensor, if it's spinning faster than starter speed, the ecm disengages the starter...that being said, your starter motor is bad. Stick with Delco, aftermarket reman starters are hit or miss, mostly miss.

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
pop pop

If it were my repair my first choice would be a new starter from the mfg. - Still Delco?
Second choice would be a new (Delco) bendix on the old starter - replace brushes while it's out.
I would not buy a rebuild starter - ever.
pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote