Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
glt29824

Default New Pole Barn - inside grade vs. outside grade + rat guard question

Hi all. New guy here. Proud new owner of my "hobby place".... 30x40x10 - yes only 10. We have a farm 15 miles away that we keep big stuff at that are 12' and 14' heights.

Getting right to it, I have a question in regards to the inside grade vs. the outside with the rat-guard that was used. As you can see by the pictures below, the inside will be considerably higher than the out. The outside piece TOP is under the rat guard trim. I would like to try and not cover any of the metal, but am wondering what options I have at the moment. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input. All is welcome at this point.

Take care................Greg
glt29824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
trbomax

Default Re: New Pole Barn - inside grade vs. outside grade + rat guard question

There should have been 2 - 2 x 6 t&g treated skirt boards around the bottom . This would be a minimum IMO. I have 4 on mine,one below grade and 3 above grade. The outside sideing should be at least 6" above final grade ,again IMO. It looks like I can see right thru and under the skirt boards on the back and side. You cant pour concrete up against the exterior sideing (well,its your building,so I guess you can, but you shouldnt). I think what you have here is a giant CF due to improper planning. Nothing personal.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
glt29824

Thanks - figured those things but too late - was just excited I was getting it so quick...

Biggest problem with a CF however is that nobody ultimately wants to stand behind it and regardless if it was planned or not, that's where this ended today.

So the minimum fix is going to be to add the extra 2X6 under and on the outside just as the originial with a 2X4 1" over the seam to screed from inside. Excavate the exterior pads and there will be only a 1" height difference from interior to exterior that will blend well and reside under the rat-guard. That creates the problem of the overhead doors height so I've got a couple of good full sheets and will un-sheet the front, take out the corner reliefs, lower the top height accordingly, add to the sides with PT accordingly and then salvage what I can of the metal on it now, cutting new pieces to close it back in once done.

Final grade on the exterior was going to be taken down on the west end so that takes care of that.

Plan is 4000 psi with fiber, 2 inches of gravel compacted, termite treatment, 6ml vapor barrier and wire mesh on 2" chairs, metal key ways, wet cured for 7 days and then sealed with no traffic for a few weeks. That's it for now with Christmas coming on fast.

Take care.....Greg

Last edited by glt29824; 10-25-2012 at 12:30 PM.
glt29824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
trbomax

That sounds like a good plan. No one will ever notice the difference in the front and if they do just tell themthey are looking too hard. Good luck with all that. I didnt mean to sound harsh,I just usually tell it like I see it! Post up your progress.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
glt29824

No worries brother. I'm ex-law enforcement and as blunt as they come... Will post as I work.