Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
mge_1

Send a message via AIM to mge_1 Send a message via Yahoo to mge_1 Send a message via Skype™ to mge_1
Default 7KW Generac 5837 Installation Costs?

Hello. I'm debating on buying the 7KW Generac 5837 standby generator system with 50amp transfer switch for $1861 at Home Depot.

Currently, I have a perfect spot for it where my old pool heater used to be. Gas line and electrical already in place. As well as the cement slab.

Does anyone know how much it would cost for installation? Not looking for opinions on how good/bad the brand is. Just looking for some ball park figure on electrical installations. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
mge_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
FJ 432

Default Re: 7KW Generac 5837 Installation Costs?

The distance from the generator to your house panel will be a big factor. Figure 1,500-2,000.

Sorry, just read your post again. So you want a cost to terminate electrical. 5-600.
FJ 432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Burtonrider10022

Contact your local utility companies, they might come hook it up for cheap. They like knowing it's done right.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
mge_1

Send a message via AIM to mge_1 Send a message via Yahoo to mge_1 Send a message via Skype™ to mge_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ 432 View Post
The distance from the generator to your house panel will be a big factor. Figure 1,500-2,000.

Sorry, just read your post again. So you want a cost to terminate electrical. 5-600.
Nice thanks for the info.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
mge_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022 View Post
Contact your local utility companies, they might come hook it up for cheap. They like knowing it's done right.
I'll call for sure. Didn't know they actually do installs. Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
themiller

let us know what the util. companies say please. Thanks!
themiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Speedy Petey

Quote:
A utility is NOT going to do a customer genset install.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Speedy Petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge_1 View Post
Hello. I'm debating on buying the 7KW Generac 5837 standby generator system with 50amp transfer switch for $1861 at Home Depot.

Currently, I have a perfect spot for it where my old pool heater used to be. Gas line and electrical already in place. As well as the cement slab.

Does anyone know how much it would cost for installation? Not looking for opinions on how good/bad the brand is. Just looking for some ball park figure on electrical installations. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Just so you know, you do NOT have the electric already in place. You need to run a separate conduit for the control wiring. The feed to the pool heater may be OK for the gen feed, if it was a heat pump, but it depends on the wiring they ran to it. Most heat pumps are only 240V so it is doubtful a neutral was run.
If I had to guess I'd say you need ALL the wiring done new for this install.

A WAG would be in the $1000-$2000 range depending on distance, your location, etc.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
deter

Where are you? That will have a big impact
Does generac require one of their "installers" for warranty?

you are going to need the following:
set & level unit
install and wire ATS/sub-panel
terminations
gas pressure regulator/test/bleed
ground rod & wire
testing/break-in/programming

EDIT: I agree with above, figure at least the cost of the unit for install
deter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #10
Burtonrider10022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
A utility is NOT going to do a customer genset install.
Strange... mine sent out a flyer stating otherwise. I guess I should call them and tell them they're wrong.

Also, when the Com-Ed guy came to my work a few weeks ago for the transfer switch installation, I guess he just came on his own time? In his own Com-Ed truck?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
yousesteers

Utility here does the Disconnect box for nothing if you purchase the box.
yousesteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Thruxton

Quote:
Just so you know, you do NOT have the electric already in place. You need to run a separate conduit for the control wiring.
Not so, at least not in all cases. My Generac 10K came with a 25 foot length of Flex prewired with power and control wires.

My 19 X 19 wood-metal-car shop redo - Major Milestones Update July '12!
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=92642

I want what I do to look like I did it on purpose.
Thruxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
mge_1

Quote:
Just so you know, you do NOT have the electric already in place. You need to run a separate conduit for the control wiring. The feed to the pool heater may be OK for the gen feed, if it was a heat pump, but it depends on the wiring they ran to it. Most heat pumps are only 240V so it is doubtful a neutral was run.
If I had to guess I'd say you need ALL the wiring done new for this install.

A WAG would be in the $1000-$2000 range depending on distance, your location, etc.
Im in NJ and thanks for the info. Trying to contact available electricians now for an exact quote.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Speedy Petey

Quote:
Strange... mine sent out a flyer stating otherwise. I guess I should call them and tell them they're wrong.

Also, when the Com-Ed guy came to my work a few weeks ago for the transfer switch installation, I guess he just came on his own time? In his own Com-Ed truck?
Never in all my years have I heard this. IMO this is NOT typical.
This is WAY outside the scope of their work.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Speedy Petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruxton View Post
Not so, at least not in all cases. My Generac 10K came with a 25 foot length of Flex prewired with power and control wires.
What I meat was that having the old pool heat line existing is not nearly enough, and may not even be usable.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
frankzlt1

What you need to install that generator is a conduit from the generator to your house preferably nearest your electric panel the min size that will work good is a 1". Your going to need 5 #14 thhn and 4 #10 thhn. That particular unit has to be 5' from any combustible materials. Im assuming its the core power little square unit. The average cost i would think no more than $1000 depending on the distance you have to go from generator to transfer switch. You dont have to have a dealer wire it but it would be best because they will know the unit well. If you get a good electrician that understands generators you should be good and it will not void your warranty.
frankzlt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
wyliesdiesels

Quote:
What I meat was that having the old pool heat line existing is not nearly enough, and may not even be usable.
He said he can use the electric AND gas line that was for his pool equipment. I'm assuming by this that his pool heater is gas, so the electrical feeding his pool equipment will DEFINITELY not work! Most pool pumps are 20a 240v. Also, his gas line might not be big enough to handle the demand of the genset. He would need to look up the BTU/h specs of the generator and then figure out what size the gas line is and how much it will flow. Calcing and installing gas lines is DEFINITELY not a DIYer project!
wyliesdiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
mge_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliesdiesels View Post
He said he can use the electric AND gas line that was for his pool equipment. I'm assuming by this that his pool heater is gas, so the electrical feeding his pool equipment will DEFINITELY not work! Most pool pumps are 20a 240v. Also, his gas line might not be big enough to handle the demand of the genset. He would need to look up the BTU/h specs of the generator and then figure out what size the gas line is and how much it will flow. Calcing and installing gas lines is DEFINITELY not a DIYer project!
Will not use the existing electrical lines. But the gas line I think we can use as it's already there and capped off. Thanks for the info and will sure do more research on the BTU specs and etc.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
wyliesdiesels

U can't use it if its too small! What size is it and how long is it from the meter or nearest junction with a large gas pipe? Also, what size is the burner for your pool? If u know the BTU/h ratings of the heater, u could compare them to ur genset ratings!
wyliesdiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
mge_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliesdiesels View Post
U can't use it if its too small! What size is it and how long is it from the meter or nearest junction with a large gas pipe? Also, what size is the burner for your pool? If u know the BTU/h ratings of the heater, u could compare them to ur genset ratings!
Will def check thanks.