Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
buildmyown

Default Garages with apartments looking for ideas and pictures

Im in the very early planning stages for a garage with an apartment over it. Looking at doing a 2 or 3 bay garage and a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment with a full bath eat in kitchen and living room. So people give me some ideas do's and dont's. For now it would be for my girlfriend and her son and myself with the idea of using it as a rental income down the road.
buildmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
neel2008

Default Re: Garages with apartments looking for ideas and pictures

look at some of the Menards kits if you have a menards around in your neck of the woods....they have a couple kits I like, like a 2 car garage with apartment above it for around 15k.....I believe the inside floor plan and lay out is all open and not included....So its up to you to cut things to fit, assemble and finish the inside......but it comes with the blueprints, All exterior parts, 30 year roof, and hardware....don't remember it saying anything about plumbing and electric....believe that is also up to you....still pretty neat I thought....
neel2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
djkeev

To make it more live able, I'd make it the garage space you need plus another 16 feet on the ground for the Apartment. Make this ground level area an eat in kitchen and living room. There's something nice about being able to go outside without a flight of stairs being needed. Also groceries lugged up to level two sucks! Upstairs is sleeping, laundry, game room, whatever.

Dave
djkeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
neel2008

I like the idea of a garage on the basement level like my friends house is and first story of house at ground level....(house built into a hill) his garage stays so warm by itself and it is very handy if we want to move like a couch from the basement to the upstairs....load into truck in garage and drive up the yard to the front door. lol you get it upstairs without going "upstairs"
neel2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
buildmyown

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel2008 View Post
look at some of the Menards kits if you have a menards around in your neck of the woods....they have a couple kits I like, like a 2 car garage with apartment above it for around 15k.....I believe the inside floor plan and lay out is all open and not included....So its up to you to cut things to fit, assemble and finish the inside......but it comes with the blueprints, All exterior parts, 30 year roof, and hardware....don't remember it saying anything about plumbing and electric....believe that is also up to you....still pretty neat I thought....
We dont have any of those stores around here but there is a good modular home builder in the area with a very good reputation. When the time gets closer im going to look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkeev View Post
To make it more live able, I'd make it the garage space you need plus another 16 feet on the ground for the Apartment. Make this ground level area an eat in kitchen and living room. There's something nice about being able to go outside without a flight of stairs being needed. Also groceries lugged up to level two sucks! Upstairs is sleeping, laundry, game room, whatever.

Dave
I agree but not sure if that would work i have to deal with an existing house on the property and the layout of the land might not allow for that. I want this to blend in and match the house so it looks like its always been there.
buildmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
donnie

A few to look at here, no floor plan though.
http://menards.com/main/building-mat...492-c-5797.htm
donnie is offline   Reply With Quote