Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
cowboy73

Default Repointing mortar joints concrete block?

The wife seen a mouse in the kitchen last night So after setting traps, I started looking around the outside of the house for possible entry points. I have a few spots in the concrete block foundation where the mortar is gone or loose. The house was built in the early 1920s. Would you guys just use regular mortar mix? I know I should dampen the blocks to keep the mortar from drying out too fast. Would you use a concrete binding agent to improve the mortar sticking? Would hydraulic cement be a better option since it expands slightly? Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom
cowboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
rlitman

Default Re: Repointing mortar joints concrete block?

You want the mortar to be softer than the brick, or it can cause the brick to crack.
So, NO to concrete, and NO to hydraulic cement.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
cowboy73

Thanks. I was wondering about that. Is the premix stuff in a bag okay for the patch job?
cowboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
geologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy73 View Post
Thanks. I was wondering about that. Is the premix stuff in a bag okay for the patch job?
I've used it without any troubles on my grandmother's house a couple of years ago. Seems to have held up pretty well. Just be careful when you mix it so that you get it wet enough.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
rlitman

The premix mortar in the bag will have a letter code.
The code designates the strength of the mortar, with N being in the middle of the range, and that is probably what you want (unless you have really old and soft bricks).
Usually N is the regular stuff, so yeah, that's what you probably want.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
geologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
The premix mortar in the bag will have a letter code.
The code designates the strength of the mortar, with N being in the middle of the range, and that is probably what you want (unless you have really old and soft bricks).
Usually N is the regular stuff, so yeah, that's what you probably want.
I think the old timers used more of a lime base for their mortar. I looked at a house from the 1820s that had been partly repointed with modern mortar, and it's basically ruined about 1/3rd of the bricks. If your house was built after 1900, you should be fine.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
STINEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by geologist View Post
. I looked at a house from the 1820s that had been partly repointed with modern mortar, and it's basically ruined about 1/3rd of the bricks. .
I will be repointing my 1850's house brick foundation in the near future...... what sort of damage did you observe? My bricks are definitely the softer variety.
STINEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
bczygan

The mortar gets it's waterproof qualities, not by it's hardness, but rather, by compression of the mortar surface by striking off the joints with a jointing tool. Start by removing loose mortar by mechanical means including sawing as necessary. Choose a local sand to try to match the existing mortar color and recipe.
bczygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
JF5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINEY View Post
I will be repointing my 1850's house brick foundation in the near future...... what sort of damage did you observe? My bricks are definitely the softer variety.
Yeah STINEY, I would do some serious research before making a move. Dang 1/3 of the bricks destroyed! That sucks.

"Why, Johnny Ringo! You look like somebody just walked over your grave."

All American
JF5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
TAMPAGT07

Did you catch the mouse?
This posting is copyrighted by TAMPAGT07 for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this posting or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the posting without TAMPAGT07's consent is prohibited. (This mesage was bought to you by TAMPAGT07''s legal team, the three Robinowitz's)
TAMPAGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
geologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINEY View Post
Between the end of the Civil War and roughly 1900, brick "technology" advanaced, so that they were relatively hard throughout. Before this time, the face or "outer crust" (if you will) was hard, but the interior wasn't nearly as strong, so if you chipped the face, it would start to degrade the brick.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and heartbreak, and read this:

http://www.nps.gov/hps/tps/briefs/brief02.htm

So, what happens is that water gets into the brick, and the clays expand and crack it worse, and then once you loose that protective outer shell, the brick more or less begins to disintegrate. Using modern mortar can speed this process up, so generally when you're restoring an old brick home, it's best to use a lime mix (still obtainable). Otherwise, you get this:

Last edited by geologist; 11-28-2012 at 01:36 PM.
geologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
kartracer23

While I agree that that mortar is important on brick, I don't know that it's super important (or as important) on concrete block. I think everyone missed that that was the OP's question. Concrete block vs. brick is a totally different animal.

I just did a basement foundation wall with hydraulic cement and am not concerned at all about it damaging the block.

I'm on our local historic commission & we bring in experts at times to test the mortar to make sure we're using the right mortar for the old bricks in different buildings. A lot of masons will just slap whatever they have in the truck in there, not realizing how much damage they cause.
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
STINEY

Eeww.

Unfortunately, it would appear mine are in the early stages of that state of demise. Not quite that bad, but in the same ballpark.

Thanks for the info!
STINEY is offline   Reply With Quote