Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
HorseHollow

Default Convert Home Depot's 2-story storage building for Cabin?

Has anyone looked at Home Depot's 2 story storage building and thought of building your own and use it as a cabin? I have some land in VA and thought of putting a Park Model on it but those things are $50,000+. I saw Home Depot's 2 story 16x18 storage building and thought a 16 x 24 would make a perfect little cabin. Then, again, I wondered if they are selling them for $7,200, how much would it cost to build it yourself?

Anyone tried?

Thanks!
HorseHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
RazrRebel

Default Re: Convert Home Depot's 2-story storage blding for Cabin?

Thought about it alot. If I had the money it would have done been done. You could build it yourself a little cheaper, but not by much. Remember when you buy it they will deliver it. You'll have to have the lumber delivered and build it onsite. This might work at home, but not at a weekend getaway. Some one might getaway with your lumber.
RazrRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
RazrRebel

Also I'm almost done with a 12 x 16 dried in for less than 2000.00 Colred metal roof and walls, 2x6 floor joists on 16" centers, 2x4 walls on 16" centers. All I need now is to insulate, wire, and finish the inside.
RazrRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
bczygan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHollow View Post
Has anyone looked at Home Depot's 2 story storage building and thought of building your own and use it as a cabin? I have some land in VA and thought of putting a Park Model on it but those things are $50,000+. I saw Home Depot's 2 story 16x18 storage building and thought a 16 x 24 would make a perfect little cabin. Then, again, I wondered if they are selling them for $7,200, how much would it cost to build it yourself?

Anyone tried?

Thanks!
16x24x2 stories = 768SF. Many jurisdictions have zoning that requires at least 800F minimum size for a residence. Also minimum sizes for bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen.

Check your zoning and zoning rules.
bczygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
theoldwizard1

In MI those are made by Tuff Shed. They have dozens and dozens of options, including cabins and garages.

I looked in to it a while ago. Here are some of the down sides

• Floor/foundation. Best bet is 4-6" slab with footing as required by local code. Pay the money and have radiant heat tubing installed in the concrete. A small wall mounted boiler (or water heater/boiler combination) would be perfect. (Even heat. No duct work). You can even hook it up to a wood burning stove.
  • If you don't want a concrete floor, you can build the floor on top of 4x4 PT posts (check local code). Use PT floor joist. You may even consider 5/4x6" PT deck boards for the floor. Insulating the floor and then covering that with something so that varmints don't tear up the insulation is a challenge. Building the floor a couple of feet off of the ground. Light and air will discourage varmints from taking up residency,
  • No insulation. Simplest thing to do is to pay someone to spray foam. Cover with plaster board or whatever.
  • Wiring and plumbing. I would run them the inside of the walls in a conduit/chase.
  • Bathroom. It would have to be really tiny.
  • Utility room. Add a back porch, enclose and insulate 1/2 of it
  • These things are really designed to be one room. No privacy.

Last edited by theoldwizard1; 12-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

16x24 and $7200 ? If you have any skills at all, I think you could build a very nice place for less and finished.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
joshmodelskidoo

if you bought all the materials i would think finished for 5 grand. scrounge craigslist for camper or mobil home parts. i would make one and run it on 12 volt. if you had a lot with running water i bet you could hook up a paddle wheel to a genirator
joshmodelskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
HorseHollow

Could you post a picture of your 12 x 16 building? You had some good points about Home Depot delivering the building .... but I just drove by today and looked at them again and that roof would have to be metal. On that hill I'm thinking about putting it, I would want something other than shingles. The hill is like a ridge top so there's wind most of the time.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
HorseHollow

good point ... but out in the country, in those hills, I'm not sure they would ever know the building exist ... but then there is google earth! Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
HorseHollow

I like your ideas and all of you have been so kind to give me such good feedback.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
clarkebd

I've thought of this a lot. I like the idea.

First I need to find some land in NC or VA though. I keep looking but just don't know where exactly I should concentrate my search.

Any know good land for sale sites (besides LandandFarm.com) ?
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
toymn6366

i have a friend that went from a $500,000 house to living in the 28x32 two story hd building after a divorce and loves it.he meet the hd contractor that builds the buildings and payed the guy in cash $6000 to dry it in,then him and his dad finished it.he was going to use it as shop to start with and live in his 5th wheel but before he started a guy wanted to buy the camper so he had building built to live in,it has a livingroom kicthen down and bedroom bath up the shower and sink are out in the room and toliet is in closet.
now he is working on his 40x36 shop
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
HorseHollow

toymn, just look for the 'local' realestate agencies for the counties you're interested in buying land.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
hdossett

I looked at the Lowes and HD out buildings and did not like the construction methods used. I did not look at the larger ones.

Last year I built and 12x16 on a concrete pad for about $12.25/ft^2. (Got 10% veterans discount @ Lowes on the materials),(the garage cost $33/ft^2 to have built).

I used standard construction methods and used my garage as a model. One small window, 24x24 skylight, 30 year architectural roof, and homemade trusses and doors. That included concrete for RV pads, side walk to the RV, a stoop pad for a future back door for the garage, and about a yard extra that a neighbor that had a use for it. Other than help with the concrete work, I did every thing myself.

As a matter of fact, I just painted it this week, before the weather turns cold.

Sig line for photos.

My shed and workbench build albums!
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/album.php?u=37018
hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
theoldwizard1

From TuffShed

Check their website to see if they are available in your area. They have an online configuration utility that will allow you to price out different sizes and options.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
HorseHollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
I looked at the Lowes and HD out buildings and did not like the construction methods used. I did not look at the larger ones.

Last year I built and 12x16 on a concrete pad for about $12.25/ft^2. (Got 10% veterans discount @ Lowes on the materials),(the garage cost $33/ft^2 to have built).

I used standard construction methods and used my garage as a model. One small window, 24x24 skylight, 30 year architectural roof, and homemade trusses and doors. That included concrete for RV pads, side walk to the RV, a stoop pad for a future back door for the garage, and about a yard extra that a neighbor that had a use for it. Other than help with the concrete work, I did every thing myself.

As a matter of fact, I just painted it this week, before the weather turns cold.

Sig line for photos.
Thanks for sharing ... I noticed the water tank. Is this costly? They are telling me it could cost $10,000 and $895 permit for a well in the hills of VA since sulfar water is a problem and rock. I thought about about a water tank and my family thought I was crazy. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
HorseHollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
From TuffShed

Check their website to see if they are available in your area. They have an online configuration utility that will allow you to price out different sizes and options.
Hey thanks ... I'll check it out.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
camarotoolman
Banned

I have thought about building my own park model on an old mobel home frame, at my leasure, in my back yard, them hire a home mover to take it out to the lake. Scroung materials and do all the labor myself shouldn't cost too much.
camarotoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
HorseHollow

Quote:
In MI those are made by Tuff Shed. They have dozens and dozens of options, including cabins and garages.

I looked in to it a while ago. Here are some of the down sides

• Floor/foundation. Best bet is 4-6" slab with footing as required by local code. Pay the money and have radiant heat tubing install in the concrete. A small wall mounted boiler (or water heater/boiler combination) woiuld be perfect. (Even heat. No duct work). You can even hook it up to a wood burning stove.
  • If you don't want a concrete floor, you can build the floor on top of 4x4 PT posts (check local code). Use PT floor joist. You may even consider 5/4x6" PT deck bards for the floor. Insulating the floor and then covering that with something so that varmints don't tear up the insulation is a challenge. Building the floor a couple of feet off of the ground. Light and air will discourage varmints from taking up residency,
  • No insulation. Simplest thing to do is to pay someone to spray foam. Cover with plaster board or whatever.
  • Wiring and plumbing. I would run them the inside of the walls in a conduit/chase.
  • Bathroom. It would have to be really tiny.
  • Utility room. Add a back porch, enclose and insulate 1/2 of it
  • These things are really designed to be one room. No privacy.
I like all your ideas and especially no duct work, insulating the floor, adding a back porch with 1/2 enclosed. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
HorseHollow

Quote:
From TuffShed

I checked out and then looked at www.classicmanor.com and found they have a build a quote too.