Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
OldNeons

Default Best Portable 220 volt electric Space Heater Choice?

Looking for input here please: I have a portable electric Dayton space heater 3uv36. Brand new, plugged it into 220 cable for my table saw and I got more heat out of a $20 110volt under desk heater??? Are these things really worthless or what gives? Normally Grainger sells decent stuff - but this thing was almost $200 and I think I'm breathing hotter air. It is attempting to make heat (not blowing cold air), but it is nowhere near 5000 watts or 14,000 btuH that is advertised??
Any suggestions on fixing this - or an alternative?

I want something portable/temporary- not a permanent install. It will get me through next few weeks until my permanent furnace is installed in the shop and then I'll use it on jobsites when needed.

Thanks for any input

Last edited by OldNeons; 12-10-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: subscribe to thread
OldNeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
pattenp

Default Re: Best Portable 220 volt electric Space Heater Choice?

Obviously something is wrong. I have a similar heater and it blows heat like crazy. Are you sure you're supplying the correct voltage to it? Heater may be defective.

Have you re-corded or re-plugged the heater? That heater needs a 30A circuit.

Last edited by pattenp; 12-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.
pattenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
OldNeons

thanks for reply, factory cord with NEMA 6-30P hooked up to a 10 gauge cord tied into 30 amp 220 volt breaker (single phase of course). Also tried it at my dad's house with same results. Pretty simple system - bad element?
OldNeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
TireTracks

Does it have 2 heat ranges? The 50 year old one I use has 2 settings, and the lower one doesnt do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
You missed the important part "antique", dried out seals and leathers, operator unfamiliar with operation, little voice in my head keeps saying "Darwin":shocking:
TireTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
malibu101

You said 3uv36. Are you sure it's not an 3VU36? That's what I have.
Mine says 5600-4200 watts - 240-208 volts - 23-20.3 amps.
I figured those specs should be close to what a dryer takes, therfore, give out as much heat as a dryer.
Mine blows a warm breeze but is FAR from a powerful heater. I say it does not even give out as much heat as a dryer does.

A well insulated garage on a mild evening and it should be noticeable.
A cold, windy night in a cold garage and this is just a tease. It will not heat the space too much if even noticeable at all.

I've had mine a few years and it still works as well as it does.
I bet if you look at the specs at Grainger the reccommended square footage it is designed for is way less than a garage.
malibu101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Highbeam

Can't compare to a clothes dryer because a clothes dryer is burning up lots of heat evaporating the water into steam. Between the dryer and the outlet is a huge heat exchanger, tumbling wet clothes, sucking up the energy to boil water and to heat up the cold clothes.

The same wattage into a dry space heater should make way more heated air than a dryer does.
Highbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
LG63

I have a very similar one sold under the TPI name and thought the same thing the first time I fired it up. I think the fan is simply too powerful for the temp rise that the heater produces. If the air wasn't moving as fast, I think it would "feel" better. It's not intended to heat a very big space but it you're willing to give it time, it will eventually warm up a 20 x 20 area provided you don't have major air leaks. I actually prefer radiant heaters since they heat objects not the air.
LG63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
5lima30

I have the red square construction heater from Northern Tool. It is 4800 watts and 13,200 BTU. It has the 6-30p plug. I paid $79 for it on sale. It works fairly well although the fan is somewhat loud to me. It does a decent job of heating my 16x28 garage that is well insulated.