Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
ovilla

Default Check out this home made all-wood car lift!

So glad I already have my BendPak HD-9. This is surely a Darwin award in the making. Anyway, I just thought folks might enjoy checking this out.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...threadid=98085
ovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
Mr. Welsh

Default Re: Check out this home made all-wood car lift!

Wow...and some people on that forum think it's a great idea. Not to mention all the other terrible ideas in the thread...shocking.

Last edited by Mr. Welsh; 05-05-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Mr. Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
nissan_crawler

I see no Darwin's award.
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
PoorOwner

it looks quite safe to me.. 2x4 are very strong when used properly.
PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
nissan_crawler

it's 2x10 sheathed with 3/4" plywood, not 2x4. All those morons freaking out need to go tear their house down.

That is 1000x safer than jackstands on a sloped surface.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #6
ovilla

Okay, what happens when the wood gets wet and the car is still on the "lift"? Wait,, I'm sure someone will say that with the use of the right water seal, all will be fine. I could see maybe driving an ATV on it but not a car.

Last edited by ovilla; 05-05-2008 at 02:31 AM.
ovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
nissan_crawler

He's using the car to pull the transmission and lower control arms. I don't think wood rots in 2 days. Did you miss the part where he removes the car and stores the ramps in the basement? Waaah.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #8
Mr. Welsh

Seems to me like a solution to a problem that a financially responsible person would not have.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:58 AM   #9
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Welsh View Post
Seems to me like a solution to a problem that a financially responsible person would not have.
Seems to me like a statement from somebody that doesn't live in reality. Big deal, so he doesn't have the money for a lift, or, maybe he can't fit one in the garage in the first place. The solution worked, and as braced as it is, there's nothing wrong with it.

OMGZ IT'S WOOD!!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
Mr. Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_crawler View Post
Seems to me like a statement from somebody that doesn't live in reality. Big deal, so he doesn't have the money for a lift, or, maybe he can't fit one in the garage in the first place. The solution worked, and as braced as it is, there's nothing wrong with it.

OMGZ IT'S WOOD!!
Unless I'm completely off on how much an SVT Cobra costs (around $30k?), I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.

He has allocated so much of his money towards a car that he cannot afford a place in which to modify it (which means he's dumping even more into it).

How is that financially responsible? Now I may not live in reality, but I imagine that if you spoke to the people who have the best shops and toys on this board, few of them will have allocated their money that way when they were young.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:54 AM   #11
nissan_crawler

Maybe that's what he wants? Maybe it's not cost-effective to build a shop there due to land availability? Maybe he's moving in a year?

How the hell should I know the why? It's safe, it's not going to go anywhere, who cares the reasoning? For all you know, the guy is a millionaire.

I can't afford to spend $30,000 on a shop, and my 2 car garage is filled with tools, washer dryer, welder, plasma cutter, drill press, tube bender, table saw, hydraulic press, you name it. I work in my driveway, big deal. It's that or have the room and not have the tools.

Honestly, why do you give a shit where the guy works on his car Sounds pretty snooty to me.

I have a hard time seeing 2x10's sheathed with 3/4 plywood, braced with 3 4x4 posts and 1/2" bolts going anywhere. I would go so far as to say it's more stable than a set of jackstands.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:24 AM   #12
Mr. Welsh

Please forgive me for my snooty attitude, but if you build a ramp to work on your car out of any material outside in Massachusetts 20' off a 40mph road in what looks like a parking lot, I'm not sure what you would expect. Especially when the purpose, from what I can surmise, is to play around modifying your $30k car with aftermarket parts. My interest, obviously, is the same as yours: I've been invited to comment.

Last edited by Mr. Welsh; 05-05-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #13
nissan_crawler

So the roads speed limit and distance come into play now
Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #14
Stuey

From your comments, I got very scared about what I was going to see. After looking at the photos, I think that you guys are way overreacting.

Granted it looks like it could use a little more reinforcement, the ramp looks very well designed and constructed. However, I would not feel confortable getting under that thing at all; I might have a slight fear of getting crushed.
Stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #15
nismomans13

Quote:
Unless I'm completely off on how much an SVT Cobra costs (around $30k?), I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.

He has allocated so much of his money towards a car that he cannot afford a place in which to modify it (which means he's dumping even more into it).

How is that financially responsible? Now I may not live in reality, but I imagine that if you spoke to the people who have the best shops and toys on this board, few of them will have allocated their money that way when they were young.

how dense are you man? just because someone works on a car doesn't mean they have a fly ass garage to work on it in. Hell, I've built 5 different cars, 4 of them in a 25x30 split entry house garage with a jeep and tons of other stuff in it. and the most recent in a 17 1/2 by 20 space.

Just because someone buys a 30k car doesn't mean they have a garage tall enough for a lift. You're a moron.
nismomans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #16
Stuart in MN

At first glance it looks pretty strong to me, but I'm only looking at a couple photographs. I do wonder what he used for screws, though - a lot of people put stuff together with drywall screws which are too brittle and don't provide much shear strength.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
rburke65

Mr. Welsh, what the heck does the speed limit have to do with....anything? I guess I'm having a hard time staying focused here.
rburke65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #18
ehjorten

Looks pretty sturdy. I would go with Stuart on this one...what screws did he use? How many? The other thing that I noticed is that there is little triangulation between the left and right ramp. Yeah...he has some ties between the ramps, but nothing triangulating it! I wouldn't be worried about the compressive strength, but would be worried about the whole thing folding over. OMG...I have a trailer with a wooden deck! OMG...I have a bridge made out of wood! OMG...I have a house made out of wood with a tile roof weighing about 21,000 lbs!
ehjorten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #19
tstukel

Quote:
Please forgive me for my snooty attitude, but if you build a ramp to work on your car out of any material outside in Massachusetts 20' off a 40mph road in what looks like a parking lot, I'm not sure what you would expect. Especially when the purpose, from what I can surmise, is to play around modifying your $30k car with aftermarket parts. My interest, obviously, is the same as yours: I've been invited to comment.
I say, old chap, isn’t it just awful how these commoners try to act like car guys…can you imagine, buying a $30,000 automobile and not having a grand garage with a proper lift, harrumph. By the way, would any of you REAL car guys out there have any Gray Poupon…

Last edited by tstukel; 05-05-2008 at 09:08 AM.
tstukel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #20
nismomans13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstukel View Post
I say, isn’t it just awful how these commoners try to act like car guys…can you imagine, buying a $30,000 automobile and not having a grand garage with a proper lift, harrumph. By the way, would any of you REAL car guys out there have any Gray Poupon…

Sorry man, i'm not baller enough, I just got French's yellow :sigh:
nismomans13 is offline   Reply With Quote