Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
xxtreem11

Default Restoring a Craftsman 113.27520 10" table saw

Hey all...

I picked up this saw from Craigslist for $75 bucks. It looked to be in good shape and had both extension wings, full fence and the original motor so I jusmped on it. Now here comes the teardown of this bugger. Damn this thing is he-e-e-e-e-avy. but there's nothing a little muscle and WD-40 can't solve.

Last edited by xxtreem11; 12-17-2012 at 04:44 PM.
xxtreem11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
billp603

Default Re: Restoring a Craftsman 113.27520 10" table saw

Heavy is good! What's the piece of plywood inside? I If it's fixing something broken I'd get the correct machined part to go in there.

One trick I have used to clean up and polish the machine surfaces on saw tables is to put a scotchbrite pad under a 1/4 palm sander with some WD-40 or Boeshield T-9.
billp603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Outlawmws

Nice find! But that motor appears to need to be moved up on the mounting plate a bit so the belt does not rub...

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
xxtreem11

Thanks! The piece of plywood is a makeshift dust collection system. Not too shabby, but I might try something else. The motor needs a "little" adjustment. The belt may be a little long... or the motor mount needs moved back... or the motor need adjusted higher... or....

I've started tearing it apart. The arbor and blade adjustments were binding a little and the blade was spinning, but not very freely. Hitting all the bolts with some WD-40 made the tear down very easy.

First decision. It looks like the arbor bearings need replacing. They're smooth, but not smooth enough. So the question is... Sears still has the one bearing and the arbor with the bearing. Do I buy them from sears or go with a better bearing (Accurate) and have the one pressed onto the arbor. Decisions, decisions.

Motor teardown is next. If the motor needs bearings too, then I'd rather get them all at the same time.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Packard V8

Those are great old saws. I've owned several and have two in storage at present. Clean it up, fix what it needs and use it. Just don't put much money in it. You'll have difficulty getting more than your $75 back if you try to sell it. Hard to find a better user saw at that price, but they're thick on the ground and don't bring many offers on craigslist. There are at least a dozen for sale here today.

jack vines
Packard V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
xxtreem11

Got everything torn apart now. Got my list for Accurate bearings. I need 2 6202LL 5/8 bearings for the arbor shaft and 2 6303 double sealed bearings for the motor shaft.

Now to start tearing down the rest of this so that I can take a wire wheel to the steel, give all the rusted stuff an electrolysis bath and degrease the rest of the innards.

Here's a question for all you seasoned garage guys and restorers.... the Craftsman logo plate on the front of the saw is riveted on. Same with the spec plate on the the motor. What's the best way to take them off and put them back on when I'm done?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...

Masking tape, unless you think someone's going to look underneath them.

I have that exact same saw and love it. Best $25 Ive ever spent. I bought its lil brother recently for $15 w/perfect paint to rob the motor for a Cman jointer Im currently restoring. Those saws are no Unisaw, but miles ahead of a box store aluminum saw.
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
Outlawmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtreem11 View Post
Got everything torn apart now. Got my list for Accurate bearings. I need 2 6202LL 5/8 bearings for the arbor shaft and 2 6303 double sealed bearings for the motor shaft.

Now to start tearing down the rest of this so that I can take a wire wheel to the steel, give all the rusted stuff an electrolysis bath and degrease the rest of the innards.

Here's a question for all you seasoned garage guys and restorers.... the Craftsman logo plate on the front of the saw is riveted on. Same with the spec plate on the the motor. What's the best way to take them off and put them back on when I'm done?
It might be a rivet, or it might be one of those rivet "screws" that can be tapped out from the back side. check yours. If it is a real rivet, those are hard to come by in those sizes, and I usually mask them off. and strip and paint.

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
xxtreem11

well... i did the ole "dremel a slot in them and screw them out" routine. They're U Drive screws. I'll have to pick some up. Hopefully the local Home Despot has some.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Packard V8

Yes, Accurate Bearing is a great go-to.

No, the bearings in the Craftsman are nothing special. Any local bearing house should have them by the boxful. Save yourself the shipping and pick up an AX series belt for the saw while you're there.

jack vines
Packard V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
xxtreem11

So I put the arbor end of the assembly into the hot soapy bat and let it sit for a day. Then started scotch briting and brushing the snot out of it. I didn't want to repaint it. Adding a little WD-40 and it came out pretty good, even if I do say so myself. Now I only wish that I had a larger tub than this 5 gallon one so I can do some multiple parts at a time. It's definitely going to make spooge-bathing the top and wings interesting.

Before:

After:
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
xxtreem11

So, now that I'm back from loading up the 'ole 4WD sleigh and carting the family across a few states to see the inlaws, it's time to continue our regularly scheduled restoration.

So, I'm trying the old soak rusted bolts in vinegar trick to see if the rust will come off enough to wipe off. I also got a wire wheel for my grinder to get the remainder off and polish them up. I was going to give all the bolts an electrolysis bath, but did not see a way to keep them all together and tied electrically. After I get the bolts all clean, I'm going to spray them with some clear coat.

I still need to spooge the arbor tilt and height adjustment shafts and the top and extension wings, and I think I'm going to use aircraft remover to get the paint off the base, motor housing and bell ends. Then wipe them with some naptha and shoot some color.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
tinkergeek

The large black plastic mixing pans for concrete may give you the space you want. Or for that matter, a large sturdy box of the right size lined with heavy plastic may make it possible to immerse the entire top.
tinkergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
Outlawmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkergeek View Post
The large black plastic mixing pans for concrete may give you the space you want. Or for that matter, a large sturdy box of the right size lined with heavy plastic may make it possible to immerse the entire top.
The larger size should do the trick for an Ebath for the table. use a grid of rebar on the bottom, a couple of bricks to hold the table off the bottom, and another brick or two outside the table for supporting a top grid and fire it off.

If the tubs aren't large enough one of those cheap kids wading pools will also do the trick

Outlaw's Shed Thread