Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
wmblalock

Default Best mid-range $150 or less HVLP spray gun?

Hey guys, I am needing a little help here. I am trying to figure out what the best $150 or less HVLP spray gun would be for the money. I asked on another forum, but got shot down saying that only a Iwata or SATA gun would be worth money otherwise I should just buy a $20 cheapo gun. I figure the mid-range guns, must be at least decent! Here is a list I made of ones I found so far, what do you guys think the best is? Anyone use any of these?

- Sharpe Finex FX3000 $105
http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...ex%203000.html
- Astro QUL $89
http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%20QUL103A.htm
- DeVILBISS Finishline 3 $104
http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...ent%20Set.html
- Binks Spray Vantage 1000G $129
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Binks/SV100G.html
- Matco new HVLP guns (only 1 model with different tips?) $149
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...select=&page=1

Any help would be great! I would like to paint my show truck if i ever get good enough, but for now I am going to get good practicing on spare panels and on my daily driver blazer after that.
- Mike
wmblalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Uncle Buck
Banned

Default Re: Best mid-range $150 or less HVLP spray gun?

I think most pro's rave over the SATA in recent years, but since I have never painted professionally I only have my home experiences to draw upon. With that being the case I would still go for a DeVilbiss, Sharpe or Binks first simply because of my past good experiences with those brands and no personal knowledge or experience with Sata guns. (I do understand their guns are great though)
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
wmblalock

Thats what I have come to find too, but Sata and Iwata are just too expensive for my budget and I am having a hard time chossing between the mid-range guns of the other major brands in my list..
Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmblalock View Post
Thats what I have come to find too, but Sata and Iwata are just too expensive for my budget and I am having a hard time chossing between the mid-range guns of the other major brands in my list..
Then if they are to expensive for you shift gears and look at the Binks, Devilbiss or Sharpe brands, I do not think any one of them would be a junk product. These brands were the industry standards for decades and I really do not think you could go wrong with any one of them.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
wmblalock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholmberg View Post
Then if they are to expensive for you shift gears and look at the Binks, Devilbiss or Sharpe brands, I do not think any one of them would be a junk product. These brands were the industry standards for decades and I really do not think you could go wrong with any one of them.
Of course, that's why I put them on my list. Has anyone had experience with any of these guns? Good? Bad?

**Edit: For example, even though DeVILBISS is a great brand, I have read that their lower line (startingline) is pretty much crap and has a lot of plastic parts.. I want something better than that for sure!

Last edited by wmblalock; 05-08-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Stanger

My vote is for the Devilbiss FL3. Very nice gun for the money IMO. You can also get quite a few tips with the gun for under $150.

EDIT: Forgot to add that yes, I have sprayed with the FL3 and I liked it very much for the money.
Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
alohavw

This is what I have:

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informa...%20Package.htm

I've heard good things about the Astro EVO so I purchased both the 1.8 tip for 2K high build primer and the 1.4 for my single stage and will be using them in the next week or so. I'll pm you to keep you informed on how they work.

Last edited by alohavw; 05-09-2008 at 12:29 AM.
alohavw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
jimvannoy

If you can't afford a Sata I'd go with the Binks.
jimvannoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
engnerdan

I own one of the finex guns, it works well but I have no idea how it compares to a good gun. the only problem with mine is it looks like the tip is not centered in the air cap, but this could be from the previous owner dropping it as I got ti used.

-Dan

Sex is like pizza. Even if itís bad itís still pretty good.

I OWE, I OWE, SO OFF TO WORK I GO
engnerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
wmblalock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohavw View Post
This is what I have:

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informa...%20Package.htm

I've heard good things about the Astro EVO so I purchased both the 1.8 tip for 2K high build primer and the 1.4 for my single stage and will be using them in the next week or so. I'll pm you to keep you informed on how they work.
Yeah let me know, those are lvlp guns, i think those are harder to cover a vehicle with because they disperse less paint if i remember correctly. Thats why i was looking at hvlp. I am not exactly sure on the advantages / disadvantages of them. I think lvlp gets more of a percentage of paint on the truck and uses less air, but at the same time it shoots less at once, therefore making it take quite a bit longer to cover a vehicle. I am not sure what that means for the final finish quality either if its good or bad.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
billymade

Its been years since I sprayed anything and my old gun is a Devilbiss that isn't even HVLP but this is a place that is huge in the body shop industry as a supplier. You might give them a call and see what they have to say; they probably have some people that really know what they are talking about. You might ask for the "paint gun expert" and see what they recommend. They sell all the popular brands, I say give them a call! http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/c-559-paint-guns.aspx

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 05-09-2008 at 09:40 AM.
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
alohavw

QUOTE=wmblalock;216102]Yeah let me know, those are lvlp guns, i think those are harder to cover a vehicle with because they disperse less paint if i remember correctly. Thats why i was looking at hvlp. I am not exactly sure on the advantages / disadvantages of them. I think lvlp gets more of a percentage of paint on the truck and uses less air, but at the same time it shoots less at once, therefore making it take quite a bit longer to cover a vehicle. I am not sure what that means for the final finish quality either if its good or bad. [/QUOTE]

Will do. A guy that I work with sprays cars p/t for a living to put his kids through college and loves the LVLP guns.

If money was not an object then I'd look into an Iwata.
alohavw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Stanger

Smart Shoppers has some of the best deals on spray guns FYI.
Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
dxdexter

What about a Snap-on Saber II. I just bought one on eBay for $70. They sell for $429 here in Canada. I also saw a NIB one go for $86.

I haven't received it yet I was hoping to spray post-catalyzed furniture lacquer. I just sold my Kremlin HVLP system and wanted a lower priced replacement for intermittent use.

Link:http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....da&dir=catalog
dxdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
ProfessorSpray

If you can spend a little more around $200.00 the best low cost gun the the CPR from CAT. The tips needles and air cap are made in the USA and are the same as on their $500 all stainless steel spray gun.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...e%20Start.html

It requires a large compressor however.

if you have a 110v compressor 5cfm or 6cfm then this is the best gun.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...IndexWBII.html

Both are worth the little extra money.

Thanks
ProfessorSpray
ProfessorSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #16
ProfessorSpray

The nice thing about the EVO is that it is a copy of the Iwata LPH 400LV and you can stick a true Iwata parts in it and have an inexpensive $500 Iwata.
ProfessorSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
selohssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmblalock View Post
I asked on another forum, but got shot down saying that only a Iwata or SATA gun would be worth money otherwise I should just buy a $20 cheapo gun.

- DeVILBISS Finishline 3 $104
http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...ent%20Set.html

I would like to paint my show truck if i ever get good enough, but for now I am going to get good practicing on spare panels and on my daily driver blazer after that.
- Mike
If I had to choose from your list, I would go for the DeVilbiss. I would then paint a few odd jobs for people to raise the funds for a Sata or Iwata. If you have not painted much, you don't want to start out with junk. It is kind of like learning how to ski on $10 plastic skis. You will get frustrated and want to give up. Have you phoned the Sata or Iwata rep and asked about buying a demo gun when they are done with it. Around here you can save 20-60% depending on the gun.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
Adam McLaughlin

I have four Iwatas, and I am spraying my Ranger today. While they are not $150.... you do get what you pay for and few guns can lay down clear like an Iwata.

Adam
Old 04-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
compman25

I bet he's finished painting it by now.
compman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
JayL

Send a message via Skype™ to JayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
I own one of the finex guns, it works well but I have no idea how it compares to a good gun. the only problem with mine is it looks like the tip is not centered in the air cap, but this could be from the previous owner dropping it as I got ti used.

-Dan
I have the Finex FX3000 gun ( 1.4mm tip ) and don't have this problem. I'm happy with mine but I don't spray paint professionally.

Made in China if that matters to you.

Last edited by JayL; 04-30-2010 at 06:15 PM.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote