Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #41
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Default Re: Hein Warner Floor Jack

Consider your braggin' rights validated. And thanks for the pics. This is the only photo-documented jack rebuild that Ed is aware of.

BTW, what is "The Kentucky 4 Link?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #42
billymade

Awesome jack, so how much does it usually cost to rebuild the ram and do you typically need to re-hone the bores with something like a wheel cylinder hone? Most hydraulic cylinders I have rebuilt typically seem to have junk on on side of the bore (wherever the "bottom" is); rust and yucky stuff affects the sealing ability to produce pressure and in bad situations, have pitted walls. Yours look perfect; is this after honing? I need to keep my eyes open for one of these old work horses; for some reason, where I live I never see any for sale!

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 08-03-2008 at 11:37 PM.
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #43
Uncle Buck
Banned

Elroy, thanks so much for actually documenting the rebuild process that has been discussed here so often in the past. Judging from the pictures it looks as though you did not have to split the frame to get the bottle out. I think that is a far superior design, at least from the ease of rebuilding aspect than that of most of the oldies I have encountered. The old Walker and Blackhawk designs all seemed to require that the frame be separated to remove the bottle (usually a real pain in the butt!)

Again, thanks for sharing this with the board. I will look forward to following along as you go through the rebuild process.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #44
merlin

First documented rebuild I've seen, also. Thanks Elroy.

As a side note about installing the Teflon or Plastic seals, this may help:

Where I work, we design and build prototype oilfield tools. We use some seals made out of Molyglass. It is glass-filled teflon, makes it harder. These seals will not fit on the rod cold. We heat them in a toaster oven at about 250 degrees for a few minutes, and they get a little soft. Then you can push them on by hand. When they cool, they are tight again. Kind of like putting in wrist pins in a piston rod (pressed in type). The seals are good for something like 450 degrees, so it doesn't damage them.

Maybe you could do the same with these plastic jack seals, just to make it a bit easier.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #45
Elroy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
First documented rebuild I've seen, also. Thanks Elroy..........Maybe you could do the same with these plastic jack seals, just to make it a bit easier.
Merlin: Thanks for the trick, but Elroy doesn't think he is going to need it. The original piston seal was leather and the replacement is some kind of "molded" polymer like nitrile or neoprene. The rod packing in the kit is still leather as the original.

Assembly continues as Elroy was has been able to get the cylinder out of the main body. As a result, the cylinder is getting a trip across the drill press for a up close personal visit with mister hone.

Elroy will post up later
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #46
Elroy
Banned

Mr. Hone has paid a visit and performed his three stone services:

[IMG][/IMG]

Paint will now have a few days to dry before the "power units" returns home:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Some on the board may give a pinch less while others may find interest. Elroy has posted for those who are interested.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #47
Uncle Buck
Banned

Keep em comin old boy, looks as though you are doing a jamb up good job! Paying close attention to the same details as I do, glad to see that!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #48
Elroy
Banned

Well progress had to stop on the Hein Werner for a few days because Elroy had a little trouble finding someone to borrow tools from so he could work on his "high performance twin turbo sports car"

Actually the power pack is going back together tonight and Elroy will post up as progress is made.

Last edited by Elroy; 08-12-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Old 08-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #49
Elroy
Banned

As promised here are are few shots of the hydraulic ram assembly. During assembly, Elroy decided to make a few changes in an effort to minimize leaks and improve the overall performance of the jack. First "improvement" was utilizing a little liquid Teflon on the high pressure end in the cylinder. There is an O-ring on the inside of the cylinder and if it does leak at this joint the high pressure fluid simply returns to the reservoir. But an internal leak here would allow the ram to "leak down" under load which would be unacceptable to Elroy so the decision was made to apply some Teflon at this joint. That loose seal is the original leather piston seal.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is another deviation from stock in an effort to minimize leaks. Elroy applied some black RTV silicone to the joint at the reservoir. The original seal was simply metal to metal and Elroy can't see this mod as being anything but an improvement.

[IMG][/IMG]

Elroy clamped the cylinder to the bench to torqued the reservoir on with a spanner wrench first then followed up with a few well placed blows with a punch and ball peen.

[IMG][/IMG]

Another deviation from stock and hopefully also an improvement was Elroy's decision to utilize a soft copper washer under the plunger plug. The only real draw back is the reduced floor clearance under the jack as it causes the plug to sit up (down) another 3/32". No big deal. Elroy also decided to utilize the import plunger procured back in 2000 as it was .002" larger and not nearly as worn as the 1978 original Hein Werner plunger.

[IMG][/IMG]

In an effort to minimize galling between the plunger and the steel guide Elroy applied some never-seeze to the plunger

[IMG][/IMG]

And finially a general shot of the mess. Just picked up that Cornwell "B" open end and that 15/16" open end came in handy tonight.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #50
billymade

Is "never seize"; the same as anti seize?

Man, all the parts look like such high quality; it really is a pleasure to look at all the parts! The hydraulic unit in particular looks like it is built like a tank; I have never had the pleasure to have or work with a jack of that high quality! There is no question that jack is the "real deal"!!!! Thanks again for the repair "how to" pictorial!

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 08-12-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #51
Elroy
Banned

Yes, Same stuff. Elroy didn't spell it correctly, it's getting late and he's tired. Sorry
Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #52
wantedabiggergarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
Yes, Same stuff. Elroy didn't spell it correctly, it's getting late and he's tired. Sorry
Elroy, go to bed and get some rest. Tomorrow you can drive your twin turbo over and borrow a dictionary.
wantedabiggergarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #53
billymade

Didn't mean to offend; I just didn't know if you were mentioning some "special sauce" for hydraulics or something I wasn't aware of! Thanks again for the rebuild pics!!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #54
Elroy
Banned

Well it's that time again for another installment of "rebuild the Hein Werner".

Here is the release valve ready for installation. This is yet another area where Elroy has deviated from the original assembly in that Teflon tape will be utilized on the mounting threads. These threads are only subjected to low pressure but Elroy is determined not to have any leaks. The modern day practice is not to utilize tape for there is a risk of contamination in the system. Notice that the first thread is uncovered. That is where a mechanical seal is formed at the base of the spot face in the main body. Elroy's application will ensure that no tape is allowed into the system and will only help seal the threads against any seepage that may occur over time. The only real trick here is to make sure the needle is fully retracted before installing the valve assembly. If the needle was extended you take the risk of jambing the needle into the seat. If you don't pay attention here you take the risk of destroying the main body and needle. Not good. Oh, and by the way, that spring loaded plunger was a real BITCH to install.

[IMG][/IMG]

This brass nut loads the rod wiper packing. This was one area Elroy assembled like the factory with no sealer and guess what? It leaked. Yep, Elroy prefilled the cylinder with oil thru the bleed off valve last night. Let it sit all day and when Elroy came home from work it had formed a nice drip at the threads. Pulled it apart tonight during final assembly and installed some Teflon tape to the packing nut threads. Bet that stops the leak !!

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally it's all done. This week end it will get washed off and painted.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The question is, what color??

Suggestions please
Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #55
Underdog

Gotta be Orange!
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #56
KLars1

I love this thread - thanks Elroy for all of the details! Looks like a fun but challenging project.
KLars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #57
Elroy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLars1 View Post
I love this thread - thanks Elroy for all of the details! Looks like a fun but challenging project.
There's no doubt about it, its been a challenge. Been one or two choice words utilized as well. Elroy bets he has a good 20 hours in it to this point. Most of the time being spent simply on cleaning parts.

This has been a real good jack for many years but at Christmas time, Elroy had a vehicle break down that needed prompt attention and that damn jack gave nothing but troubles. Made the job even worse. The decision was made 8 months ago this was going to get serviced.

When all the parts get put up and Elroy reviews all the paper work he'll post up some costs. It wasn't that cheap to do. So give me some guesses here. What do you think it cost in PARTS to do this ?? Don't guess too low.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:54 PM   #58
toolfreak

I would like to know how much you have in parts for this project, I have an old hein werner jack but I am not sure it is worth rebuilding since the rod has deep scratches where the seal rides. It is either a 3 or 4 ton similar to the one in this link.http://www.jackxchange.com/products/HW93657.cfm
toolfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #59
billymade

I wonder if you ship it out to this guy and he cold put a brass sleeve in it and then rebuild it? Have you priced a new ram or body of the cylinder?
http://www.brakecylinder.com/index.htm

Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #60
toolfreak

Awhile back I wrote the model number down and searched but I couldn't even find a seal kit for it let alone any hard parts. I thought about getting it rechromed but I know that wouldn't be cheap.
toolfreak is offline   Reply With Quote