Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
evans97

Default Post Frame to Concrete Block

New to the forum here, I was hoping for some tips and techniques about a garage addition . My garage now is detached, concrete slab, and of block construction with trusses. It's currently 16' x 24' and I'm hoping to add onto the front 16' gable side outward, widening it to 24' and expanding 30' outward. Would like to use post frame construction but don't know how to tie it in to the block and existing roof. I consider myself resourceful but couldn't find any info through internet searches. Any ideas would be appreciated!
evans97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
readhead

Default Re: Post Frame to Concrete Block

If I read this right it sounds like you want to build another building in front of the existing building. Should be pretty straight forward. If the ridge is going the same way as the existing building you will have to deal with roof to wall flashing. If you are turning the ridge you will simply over frame the existing roof into the new one. Have you done any plans? Are plans required? Is a permit required? Are you building this your self? Is there a reason you are leaning toward a post frame? Just curious.
readhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
evans97

Yes, I would like to turn the ridge for aesthetics. I don't have a plan drawn yet and yes I do need a permit. The restrictions are few in my area, pretty much just can't go past the front of my house and stay 6ft. from property line.I'm wanting to do post frame to keep the cost down. I forgot to mention I want to raise the wall height also. I think if I had an idea of the materials involved in actually tying the two structures together properly, I would feel more confident about drawing a plan and figuring cost. I am mechanical and could do it with a few friends and some more planning. Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
readhead

Have you decided on siding and roofing yet? Most, not all, post frame buildings will have metal siding and roofing. Not that that is a problem. It just requires different flashing and roof tie ins.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
evans97

Yes sir, I was going to go with metal roof and siding, except for the front. The front I will frame to be suitable for a stucco finish to match what the house will be. There will only be a few feet between side of existing house and side of new, wider garage.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
readhead

Will the new wall be higher than the existing ridge? If that is the case it shouldn't be any trouble flashing to the existing roof and walls. If not it will be a little complicated but not impossible.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
evans97

No it won't, I just want enough to have a 10ft. overhead door. So can anyone give me techniques about what's involved in starting the new structure against the existing block garage and tying in the roof?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
cyamaha2007

will the roofing materials be the same?

Check out my 36wx56Lx14h pole barn build done the hard way http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=118655
cyamaha2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
evans97

No, asphalt shingles existing to metal roof on new.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
cyamaha2007

I have no idea how that can be done.

Check out my 36wx56Lx14h pole barn build done the hard way http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=118655
cyamaha2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
readhead

Continue the existing roof framing onto the new roof. Provide backing for the new valleys. Install valley metal. Install shingles on extended existing roof. Install metal on new roof.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
evans97

Thanks for the replies, I'm starting to get a better picture of what I need to do. One important thing that I need to know is where to set the first two posts on either side. Should I set the backs of them in line with the front face of the block? Allow room for a header? Should I attach the new structure to the block other than the roof framing?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
readhead

I presume we are still talking a post frame. If you set the outside of the posts flush or 1/2" in front of the existing building the girts, if applied to the face of the posts, will extend onto the existing building. This should provide a place to flash onto the existing building. There shouldn't be any headers involved. Attaching to the old building should be fine.