Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Air_Cooled_Nut

Exclamation Solar array installed on our roof thanks to SolarCity.

I don't have time for details right now. Maybe tomorrow. Enjoy.

http://aircoolednut.blogspot.com/201...-me-happy.html

Last edited by Air_Cooled_Nut; 01-10-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Air_Cooled_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Rusty Musket

Default Re: Solar array installed on our roof thanks to SolarCity.

Thats awesome! Looks like 8k?
Rusty Musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
CNGsaves

Question Re: Solar array installed on our roof thanks to SolarCity.

Is this full "off-the-grid" effort, or reduced electric consumption?

Why doing install during winter?

What's this all costing . . . . rebates or credits to offset?

P.S. Your orange 2 ltr Squareback is sweeeet . . . estimated HP?

Last edited by CNGsaves; 01-10-2013 at 12:51 AM.
CNGsaves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Air_Cooled_Nut

Hey, some questions I can actually answer!

Yes, 8.64 kW DC system which is about 80% of our annual consumption. We supply electricity to the grid, this is NOT an off-the-grid system! That would be too much work and would've cost us money.

It cost us nothing and now that it's connected we now lease it from SolarCity for just under $60/month. Our electric bill will still be lowered, just not as much as if we installed they system (and paid for it) ourselves. Over time we will save more and more. Since we pay nothing for the install, insurance, maintenance, etc. the tax credits/rebates go to SolarCity. I'll talk about the winter install after work, gotta go for now.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Falcon67

So in 5 years are you going to buy, renew, upgrade or remove - reading the SolarPPA details now. Interesting.

"
A Power Purchase Agreement is a contract to buy solar power based on a set rate that is usually equal to or less than market rate from your local utility company. Because your solar electric rate is locked in, you can also protect yourself from the volatility of future utility rate increases.
As a SolarPPA customer, you only pay for solar power—not the solar equipment or installation. SolarCity installs, maintains and owns the solar system on your rooftop or property. Solar PPAs are very common for commercial solar customers and are now becoming very popular for residential customers too."

I can see the draw in that - but I'd rather own the array personally.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
BFBOB

My unfailing faith in human nature compels me to observe- waaaaayyyy too easy to get to.
BFBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Zick

You suck!

I tried to get them out to our place but they don't support our area yet.

Btw, looks good
Zick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
tdkkart

So what happens to SolarCity and your system when the incentives and rebates go away??

Disclaimer: What I say is based on my knowledge and experience only. It's entirely possible I'm full of shit. You've been warned!!
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Falcon67

Tax credit is a one shot deal - 30% through end of 2016. Rebate depends on your state. Currently here, zip - zero.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
gatchel

Cool! Nice setup. I'd be really annoyed at the uneven gaps between the panels near center. I do see the top row has some sort of vent...but still.
(I'm still jealous)
gatchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatchel View Post
Cool! Nice setup. I'd be really annoyed at the uneven gaps between the panels near center. I do see the top row has some sort of vent...but still.
(I'm still jealous)
What uneven gaps?

I see a large gap at the top for a vent or something I can't make out. And the bottom row of panels only has one oversized gap to miss a plumbing vent?

When I see solar panels in Portland, I think to myself that's a lot of roof penetrations to anchor those down especially in a wet climate. I'm surprised there is even a payback in rainy Portland....
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Air_Cooled_Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGsaves View Post
Is this full "off-the-grid" effort, or reduced electric consumption?

Why doing install during winter?

What's this all costing . . . . rebates or credits to offset?

P.S. Your orange 2 ltr Squareback is sweeeet . . . estimated HP?
Info on my Type III, click me! HP is 91 at the wheels. Right now it's COMPLETELY disassembled in the garage after a spun crank bearing But she made Pike's Peak! If you read my blog for back in June you can get caught up on that.

Winter install...in October is when there's this "lottery" in Oregon for who gets the rebate or incentive or whatever package (FYI PDXers, there's another one in April but I think it's a little different rebate offer). Only something like 200 or 250 applicants will get it. If the applicant gets it (me in this case care of SolarCity) then they know they will get it so SolarCity can then build the system. SolarCity had already sent out an engineer and drew up the plans (which I got to approve) so we just needed the incentive "green light".

Some time in November SolarCity said I was approved and "...when can we come to install it?". My wife and I both work and someone needs to be around so they can get into the attic and house. I'm a computer contractor so if I don't work I don't get paid. Since the company I'm currently working for takes the whole Christmas week off (ouch!$!$) that is when I decided would be the best time for them to install it. Luckily it didn't rain that week so it was a dry install -- amazing if you know northern Oregon weather!

After the install the county inspector came by and, well, inspected it and it approved. He and I then spent about 30 minutes in my shop talking air-cooled VWs and sand-rails

Our power people, PGE, came by the other day, did their inspection, approved it and turned it on (something I can easily do myself if need be).

Whew! Cool?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Air_Cooled_Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
What uneven gaps?

I see a large gap at the top for a vent or something I can't make out. And the bottom row of panels only has one oversized gap to miss a plumbing vent?
The top gap is for the stove/hood exhaust vent. The thin one that's lower is the kitchen sink vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
When I see solar panels in Portland, I think to myself that's a lot of roof penetrations to anchor those down especially in a wet climate. I'm surprised there is even a payback in rainy Portland....
The railing is lag bolted in and sealed. Yeah, I hear ya about the rain. But that is taken into consideration. Now that it's raining there are no leaks -- I have super-easy access to the attic and can walk around in most of it.

Hey folks, click me to see the blog post and click on the images to see them bigger.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
Air_Cooled_Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
So what happens to SolarCity and your system when the incentives and rebates go away??
That would be in 20 years I believe. Unlike the Japanese, I haven't looked that far ahead. I plan on wrapping me and my Ducati around a Douglas Fir tree before then and will leave that worry to my kids

Worse case scenario it just comes down and scrapped. Patch the holes with the new roof it will surely need since the current roof is 4 years old.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Air_Cooled_Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBOB View Post
My unfailing faith in human nature compels me to observe- waaaaayyyy too easy to get to.
Huh?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
Air_Cooled_Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
So in 5 years are you going to buy, renew, upgrade or remove - reading the SolarPPA details now. Interesting.
I can see the draw in that - but I'd rather own the array personally.
For our contract we will just keep on leasing...I guess that would be renew.

I sat on this for two years. I did a lot of reading on solar systems, grid-feed and off-the-grid. When it came to my busy life and the fact they would basically take care of everything I though now is a good time to do it. One of those fir trees falls on my house? Home owners insurance takes care of the house and they take care of the solar system. Dang, I can live with that! A bird kamikazes into a panel and takes it out? They take care of that. We end up producing less than estimated and thus our bill is higher? They reimburse us the difference. It's in their best interest to have a good system as it will affect the incentive they receive. So, really, we both win.

Before folks think that it's "too good to be true" remember that we are leasing the system so we are making a monthly payment to them. Our electric bill is lowered to offset that cost so, as I stated before, our savings grow over time.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
P0234

Jealous. VA has zero solar incentives.
P0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Falcon67

Insurance is an uncertain item. Not worried about trees here, but we can get hail the size of cannon shot in the spring, so that's a problem. And I'm not sure that our co-op has to buy back the power as they are exempt from most of the state competition rules and requirements. I think they have their own tariff. The co-op sells 8K systems but I'm not sure about the cost or financing - probably close to $30K.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
where2

Micro-inverter or 1 big boy with DC feeds?
Where's your monitoring link so we can see what it produces?
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
DHCrocks

I thought panels needed to be something like 18" away from a vent pipe, maybe that's just my local code.

You're gonna love it. I just had my system installed a couple of months ago and it's fun to look up on the web to see how much power i'm making. I paid outright for my system as the thought of free electricty once it's payback period is done is very enticing. Over here we get 30% fed and 35% state rebate so it makes sense to purchase rather then lease. payback is pretty quick only about 3 years for my case since our electric rates are rediculous at 36 cents/KWH.

I got a couple of questions. you mentioned you're leasing it for $60 a month. does that mean you only pay a total of $60 for your monthy electric bill? I always wondered how those deals work. Is that $60 fixed for a certain term, is it forever? So Solar City pays your electric bill and you pay solar city a flat rate $60 and that's it? If you use more electricity then the system produces do you need to pay extra? If you wanted to buy out the system how much do you have to pay?

here's my system for comparison sake. it's 35 panels, looks like you have 36.
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/...ems/U3sY129644

Last edited by DHCrocks; 01-11-2013 at 03:02 PM.
DHCrocks is offline   Reply With Quote