Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
OldCarGuy

Default BendPak XPR-10ACX lift installation made easy...

The XPR-10ACX is BendPak’s updated designed 10,000 pound capacity wide version asymmetrical two-post lift. By the serial number I have the second one off the production line. I assume the first one is in their testing facility. From what I understand it’s basically the same as its’ predecessor; but has revised “Tru-Metric” arms and locking mechanisms. That will provide more versatile arm positioning

Over the years I’ve installed a dozen lifts for myself and friends, a professional approach made this one a breeze. A mere investment of $400.00 will save you a lot of time and effort,, particularly for the first timer. I've taken the time to outline the steps to show how simple the task may be. But if you choose to DIY, please carefully read and follow BendPak’s well written instructions.

The lift comes bolted together at the ends with an angle iron frame. The arms are wrapped and shipped in the columns with several corrugated cartons filled with the misc parts and the pump assembly That are all neatly wrapped with cardboard then plastic shrink-wrapped. I had the lift unloaded from the common carrier’s truck and placed on my trailer with a forklift.

Once backed into my garage, I removed side cartons and lifted the columns with my Bridge crane off my flatbed trailer. Without a crane, it would be best to dismantle the package on the trailer and remove item by item. A cherry picker would be a good asset to have. .

Removed all packaging material and laid out all the components and checked that nothing was missing or damaged. The columns, cross bar, and arms have a terrific paint job and looks as if they were powered-coated. The blue is very pleasant, with contracting safely yellow arms. A can of touch up paint was supplied; but was not needed. I only wished that my new flatbed trailer looked half as nice! The folks at LoadTrail could learn a lot from BenPak on how to paint

With the columns on their sides, the carriages are manually raised about 24“. Making room to remove the bottom pulley, lay in cables, add hoses and fitting.

Thread the equalization cables per instructions. Note the asymmetric model has two different length cables and need to be placed on the correct pulleys. The instructions clearly point out proper locations.

A hydraulic fitting is placed at the bottom of the main hydraulic cylinder. An access hole is provided on the outside of each column. The proper length hoses are connected and routed up the columns. The hoses are secured in clips in the columns and top trough.

The passenger side column receives a “T” bulkhead hydraulic fitting and the shorter hose connects to the cylinder fitting from below.

Once hoses and equalization cables are pre-assembled lower the carriages to their bottom position. A second person needs to keep the slack pout of the cables so that they don’t come off the pulleys. The columns can now be up-righted. Two men can do this. But I used a nylon sling and my crane.

A chalk line is struck on the floor to line up the columns. A piece of carpet under the columns made it easier to move them and keep from marring the epoxy floor coating. Once they were in the approximate location, the carpet was removed. Two clever
“notch cutouts” are provided on the column flange to line the bottom flange to the chalk line.

Now it’s time to anchor the columns to the floor. We chose to anchor the driver's side first, because of the clearance issues of my bridge crane runway beam. Using a rotary hammer drill one hole is drilled through the mounting plate. The hole is drilled completely through the concrete floor. In case it needs to be replaced, it can be driven down through the floor. After vacuuming out the dust, one anchor is put into place. A washer and nut are loosely installed. A second hole is drilled and another anchor placed. Then the remainder can all be drilled. All he nuts are left loose by 1/4".

The column is plumbed using a carpenter’s level. The provided steel horseshoe shims are placed between the baseplate and concrete floor and around the bolts. The nuts are tightened by hand. After triple checking that the columns are plumbed, the bolts can be tightened down.

Next the passenger's side column is set into place on the chalk line and approximately 145" from the outside of the base plates. And the top trough is set on top the two columns. I used my scissors lift; but two men on ladders can do the trick. Then secure in place with bolts and nuts provided.

Once the top bridge is secured into place. The second column is plumbed, shimmed and anchored to the floor. The hydraulic pump is now attached to the passenger's side column. The hydraulic lines are routed across the top and down to the bulkhead fitting. The two equalizer cables are feed through the top pulleys down the far columns and fastened in the carriages with a washer and nylon lock nut.

The mechanical safety stops are mounted to the respective columns. The handled safety stop mounted on the passenger's side column. Then the safety release cable is feed between the two mechanical stops per instructions. Adjusted and secured with proper fasteners. Then the safety covers are bolted in place.

The four Tru-Metric” arms are installed onto the lift’s carriages. Using the four pins and snap rings. The snap rings cannot be installed until the carriages are raised.

The top safety micro switch in mounted on the top trough and the wire is routed to the pump motor. Where it is wired in series with the incoming power. This should be done by a qualified electrician.

Fill the pump’s reservoir with the recommended hydraulic oil. Takes about 12 quarts. Tie a rag around the top of each lifting cylinder. Then loosen the top pipe plug with a hex wrench. Push the lift button on the pump’s motor. Stop when the carriages move 2 feet off the floor. Tighten the plugs and lower the lift carriages until they hit bottom. It’ll take a few minutes to lower the carriage to the ground level. This bleeding process was repeated approximately five times. Or until only oil, not air, comes out of the bleeder plugs.

The total install was done by one professional installer along with my help. and took less than five hours time.

No problems handling my 7,100 pound 3/4 ton Avalanche!

Clearance front side doors on Avalanche.

Movie time! Click on picture... Lifting a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox for oil change.

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex

Last edited by OldCarGuy; 05-19-2008 at 10:58 AM.
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Default Re: BendPak XPR-10ACX lift installation made easy...

Nice!!!!!

Actually, I am surprised that you brought home that pretty blue lift on that rusty old trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...

Last edited by eschoendorff; 05-19-2008 at 10:04 AM.
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
TNToy

Well done.

How much did your wheel balancer set you back, and how do you like it? I have a hard time imagining that kind of investment ever paying off for a residential gearhead, unless you own a racecar that goes through a lot of tires... You need to balance quite a few tires to pay off a $1000+ machine.

What made you decide to invest in it?

Back on track: As I mentioned in your thread on choosing this particular lift, I really like the design. The extra length triple-telescoping arms really add flexibility to the asymetric design. Look at it assembled, it looks like a great choice.

(The motor/controls are on the passenger's post. You said drivers during the how-to steps)

Last edited by TNToy; 05-19-2008 at 10:23 AM.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarGuy View Post
The total install was done by one professional installer along with my help. and took less than five hours time.
Didn't hurt that your shop came equipped with bridge crane, scissors lift, and such...

Probably one of the easiest installs they've had to do!

Looks like a good setup and I'm looking forward to the updates as you use it for different tasks over the coming months.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNToy View Post
Well done.

How much did your wheel balancer set you back, and how do you like it? I have a hard time imagining that kind of investment ever paying off for a residential gearhead, unless you own a racecar that goes through a lot of tires... You need to balance quite a few tires to pay off a $1000+ machine.

What made you decide to invest in it?

Back on track: As I mentioned in your thread on choosing this particular lift, I really like the design. The extra length triple-telescoping arms really add flexibility to the asymetric design. Look at it assembled, it looks like a great choice.

(The motor/controls are on the passenger's post. You said drivers during the how-to steps)
A lot of toys in our lives cannot be justified for the home hobbyist. Even in competition. A friend of mine is a NASCAR contender and uses a bubble balancer. Now that I have a computerized balancer a lot of tires are finding their way to my place though! I just got tired of spending time in waiting rooms while some tire jockey destroys my wheels. And no way was I going to trust them with my priceless spoke antique wheels.

A “no name” computerized tire balancer could be purchased for $1,000.00. But I chose to spend a few dollars more for the Ranger DST-1000. The difference in price would be short lived trying to get parts or service from a “no name!” Same goes for the Ranger RX950AT rim clamp tire changer that I purchased. Both work fantastic and are a great value. No they may not compare to the like’s of a Coats, Hunter, or Coseng. Particularly in a commercial setting. But more than adequate for lower volumes.

Back on track... It looks as though BenPak really did their homework on this lift.

PS: I edited the incorrectly column.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Mr. Welsh

I thought you had both of these "mirrored" garages full of cars on 4 post lifts. You have more garages than I can keep straight...I'm going to have to refresh my memory with your build thread.

What's the story with the bridge crane? It looks like you've locked it in the front of your shop with this thing - looking at the pictures and trying to figure out how it fits together is like staring at an Escher drawing.

Last edited by Mr. Welsh; 05-19-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Mr. Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Welsh View Post
I thought you had both of these "mirrored" garages full of cars on 4 post lifts. You have more garages than I can keep straight...I'm going to have to refresh my memory with your build thread.

What's the story with the bridge crane? It looks like you've locked it in the front of your shop with this thing - looking at the pictures and trying to figure out how it fits together is like staring at an Escher drawing.
I sometimes have trouble keeping them straight also. LOL… I have five garages at my home. Plus a remote 40’ by 45’ garage five miles from home.

Only one of the four-car garages that face each other is used to store cars. And has four 4-post lifts in it. The one with the new BendPak lift I installed a bridge crane that I took out of my old garage after I moved out. Indeed the lift limited the travel of the bridge from the front wall to the columns. However I mainly intended its’ use for pulling engines out of cars. This garage I plan on using for working on cars. Hence the tire changer and wheel balancer. I also have plans on installing a paint booth on the far end.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
jay50
Banned

Is this a lift provided by Bendpac for a review? IIRC, the pres of Bendpac had a post/offer about this a while back.
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
GDA

Very nice informative post. Thanks! I learn something everyday through posts like this.

I hope one of these days to join this club.... a lift in your own garage club.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
irisservice

What about the compressor
irisservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay50 View Post
Is this a lift provided by Bendpac for a review? IIRC, the pres of Bendpac had a post/offer about this a while back.
Check here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...&postcount=174
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisservice View Post
What about the compressor
I’m working on it. I’ve been rearranging my garage to shoehorn it next to my present one. Who said I had too much garage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
Nice!!!!!

Actually, I am surprised that you brought home that pretty blue lift on that rusty old trailer!
Good one Mr. Music!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #13
jay50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
No chance this "freebie" had any impact on the review.?..
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
SteveU

Will be nice once he has had some time to use it a bunch to see what impression he still has of it.
SteveU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #15
Iron-Iceberg

OCG, what are the differences on this lift compared to the last 10k lift?
What are tru-metric arms?
Also if they need a West Coast opinion. My shops ready and willing! LOL
Iron-Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveU View Post
Will be nice once he has had some time to use it a bunch to see what impression he still has of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay50 View Post
No chance this "freebie" had any impact on the review.?..
To date I have just posted the installation process along with some photographs and a short video of the lift in action. I’m impressed with what I have seen so far. Though once I have actually used it more, I will post a more complete review. My findings will be honest and unbiased even though I didn’t incur any expanses.

I would also openly welcome any member that would like to stop by to help me in the evaluation and add their remarks. And please bring along a car for some minor repair if not just an oil change!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-Iceberg View Post
OCG, what are the differences on this lift compared to the last 10k lift?
What are tru-metric arms?
Also if they need a West Coast opinion. My shops ready and willing! LOL
I have not seen the lifts that the XPR series replaced for comparison. And would be best answered by BendPak. But from what I understand it is the first of a new series of lifts. And the buzzwords “Tru-Metric arms” along with newly designed locking mechanisms provides more versatile arm positioning than in the past.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #18
e-tek

Good God OldCarGuy - You know how to do so much (even photography and reviews!) and have so many tools and devices at your disposal....I have to say, I was more than a bit dissapointed to see you hire a lift guy!!
I put my Bendpak HD9-XTW up myself, after a bunch of freinds helped me get it off the transport truck (alas - no crane here!). It was fun and now I know how it goes together and what adjustments may be needed. Of course, it took two 5 hour days....DAMN, you win again!
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #19
e-tek

OK, I just read that BendPak hired the lift guy too...but still, you could have refused it! Not that I would have....damn...got me again!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
e-tek

To Jay50 - maybe you'd get some offers like this if you weren't always so cynical and negative ! As I said, I have a BenPak HD9-XTW and many here others have BP lifts - and overwhelmingly people are happy with them - full price, half-price or "free" - which really, by definition wasn't free, as he traded his review and shop space for it!