Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > ★★ Hot Deals ★★

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
CaptainMarvel

Question Using Harbor Freight 20% Coupon @ Home Depot

I remember seeing a discussion (in another DIY'er Community (I know, I know .. sacrilege) regarding taking advantage of Home Depot's "match any competitor" policy utilizing a Harbor Freight 20% Discount coupon .... but I cannot for the life of me find that discussion thread.

Anyway, the issue is that there are some who have brought in a Harbor Freight 20% Discount Coupon (which are plentiful) to a Home Depot location and have been SUCCESSFUL in Home Depot honoring the 20% discount against various items. (In the particular case I remember, it was someone who purchased a Rigid Table Saw at Home Depot, with Home Depot granting the 20% discount via the HF coupon).

If anyone is familiar with and/or has tried this strategy, please comment on your own experience - be it successful or otherwise.

The thing I am still a bit perplexed about is that it is my understanding that Home Depot's policy is to match (or beat by 10%) any "advertised price for the same IN STORE/IN STOCK item." As such - and given that there are literally no brand-name tools that Harbor Freight carries that Home Depot carries (especially in terms of power tools) - then HOW is one able to utilize a Harbor Freight discount coupon at Home Depot?

So, IF you WERE successful in employing this strategy ... PLEASE SHARE HOW YOU WENT ABOUT IT. In other words, how did you approach/what did you say to the Home Depot people when you presented the HF discount coupon and asked if Home Depot would honor the discount toward purchase of (any given) item ???

THANK YOU for the eagerly anticipated information (and education).

TOM

Last edited by CaptainMarvel; 01-17-2013 at 05:55 PM.
CaptainMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Fordman7795

Default Re: Using Harbor Freight 20% Coupon @ Home Depot

There are 3 home depots within 15 miles or so from me. 1 for sure takes them the other for sure does not take them (and they are the closest to hf). The other im not sure. The one that does take them i hand them the coupon and they check it over to make sure the item is not excluded or the coupon is expired. Then they punch it in. Really no hassle. The store that does not take them say that it is because the items are not the same. (Tried it on a husky wall cabinet after seeing the hf was a flimsy pos)

My Feedback

My eBay stuff for sale

My Paypal address is:
Fordman7795@yahoo.com
Fordman7795 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
RivennHewn

I went through Homedepot.com, were they met but not beat a Sears advertised special.

All it took was asking. Home Depot didn't charge shipping were Sears did.

I saved the shipping cost, and the discount. It shipped to my house, not the retail store.
RivennHewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
CaptainMarvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman7795 View Post
The one that does take them i hand them the coupon and they check it over to make sure the item is not excluded or the coupon is expired. Then they punch it in. Really no hassle. The store that does not take them say that it is because the items are not the same.
What were you able to get the HF 20% discount on at Home Depot?

Again, seeing that the products would not be the same "brand," what did you say to Home Depot to convince them to give you the 20% discount using the HF coupon?
CaptainMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
RKA

Not quite the same thing but I use lowes 10% coupons at several Home Depots all the time. The usually enter a competitor discount at the register. Haven't pushed my luck with the HF coupons though. I have a feeling they would scrutinize that a little more.
RKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Fordman7795

They are a competitor. They sell similar items. I used it on a black friday milwaukee combo kit

My Feedback

My eBay stuff for sale

My Paypal address is:
Fordman7795@yahoo.com
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
sharkytm

I used one on a Rigid lith-ion combo kit... I was amazed that it worked.
sharkytm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Recoil Rob

I have 4 HD's, 1 Lowes and a HF all withing 20 miles. I have to say it all depends on who you get and how you approach it. I would say I got the 20% at HD about 75% of the time. Lowes always gives it because they are less than a mile form the HF (and the HD in the same area is closer to HF, they always give it).

I will say I did most of this over the summer, I bought so much stuff then that I haven't really had the need to try it recently.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
vw_tdi

1 HD here. Manager laughed, said, "no way" and then said, "I'll give you 10%".
  • Shallow: 22-27mm+
3/8" drive, 6-point:
  • Deep: 6-9mm, 20mm+
  • Shallow: 19mm, 20mm+
1/4" drive, 6-point:
  • Deep: 4.5, 5.5, 15mm
  • Shallow: 4.5, 14, 15mm

---------
Feedback Thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...54#post2342754
vw_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Fordman7795

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_tdi View Post
1 HD here. Manager laughed, said, "no way" and then said, "I'll give you 10%".
It Pretty much comes down to manager discretion. There isnt a secret approach to getting it to work. Either the cashiers are trained to do it or not

My Feedback

My eBay stuff for sale

My Paypal address is:
Fordman7795@yahoo.com
Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
GarageEnvy

I actually just used a 25% off coupon at the Fresno HD on Blackstone Avenue to buy a WD1450 Ridgid vac for $75. I was told by the guy in the tool section the coupons were not accepted. The cashier told me they were accepted and said, "Is it one of the 20% off?" Even though it was 25% she accepted it without any hassle. No manager approval. She had clearly done it before.
GarageEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
srmofo

My HD will not honor the HF coupons. My local lowes also would not honor the HF coupon UNTIL Menards broke ground and started building their new store. Since then they have gone out of their way to advertise on poster board throughout the store that they accept ALL competitors coupons. The HF coupon says 20% off 1 item and since it doesnt stipulate which brand they accept it as long as a similar item is sold at HF (ie you cant use it refrigerators or carpet, etc)
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
Davefr

It's strictly YMMV depending on the store management. There is no universal policy.

Your odds go up with a real coupon, your odds go down with a coupon printed from the internet.
Davefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
sharkytm

Your odds are best with a full blown magazine, with coupon intact. Bonus points if the magazine ad has a similar item advertised. For example, the Motor Trend magazine ad that I bought in had a cordless combo kit advertised. That made the whole deal a lot easier. "They sell cordless combo kits, you sell cordless combo kits, can you please accept their coupon?"
sharkytm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
rsanter

i have used the HF coupon at Lowes and Home Depot without trouble

bob
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #16
toored

It's a crapshoot.

Usually three scenarios:

1) Coupon Accepted, 20% deducted from one item
2) Coupon Not accepted. When I inquire why they don't they usually say manager doesn't allow them.
3) Coupon Accepted after I ask to speak to a manager.

Asked the store manager and also attempted to contact corporate. Neither will disclose their official policy. 800-HOMEDEPT said it was up to the management at the store.

The Lowes in my area will not accept HF coupons.

OSH I haven't tried

Last edited by toored; 01-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.
toored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #17
Koy E

I've used the 20% off HF twice at two different HD's around my area on clearanced items (tool box set & drill/driver combo). both times I made sure to go to the check out lanes with the youngest looking teen cashier. Both times I small talked with them and they just cut out the coupon,took it and deposited into the register and rang up the discount with out management involvement. Obviously I tried to avoid the seasoned cahiers and customer service desk. Plus it helped that I went on a weekend when it was busy.
Koy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
Bay_City_Exige

To answer your question on what I have purchased with the 20% off coupon:
- Ridgid SuperClamp (which was already on clearance)
- 2 Echo Chainsaws
- Vise Grips
- Dewalt DWS780 (when they had the promo for a free stand w/purchase)
- Various other items.

*note* I have used the same coupun at Lowes as well. Many HD around me are starting to not honor the 20% HF coupon, but I have never had a problem at Lowes.

My policy - "It doesn't hurt to try"
Bay_City_Exige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
dodge610

My HD has never had a problem taking the hf 20% coupon even if its not the same item.
dodge610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #20
RedFordTruck

Ive never used the HF coupon at Lowes or HD but ill have to try

I use Lowes and HD coupons at the other store though. Just tell the cashier that you have a competitor coupon and they'll take it. Only been denied once at HD when I tried to use a lowes $10 off $10 and the only reason they denied that was because it was a printed coupon not a magazine/flyer.

Took the same printed coupon to another HD the next day and used it successfully Got a pair o Channellock 440s for $5.xx after tax.

Last edited by RedFordTruck; 01-18-2013 at 10:18 AM.
RedFordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote