Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Gamble

Default Longevity Mig Weld 140 & Spool gun = SWEET!

So I unboxed it all and first impression is this mig welder is HEAVY. The cheap harbor freight units you can juggle with they are so light, but this one is heavier than my hobart 140.

Came with the usual:
Cheap helmet (still a must if you don't have one, probably have to include it by law?)
No extra nozzles or tips for the mig gun. But extra tips for the spoolgun. Sweet!
Same regulator and clamp as the tig weld 160sx. Smaller clamp than the miller came with, but seemed to have more spring tension or maybe just because it's new. Either way it's not a bad clamp at all. And it works which is the only thing that is important.

Regulator is standard, gauges are a little small for my liking, but it works just fine.
Argon hose is only about 4 or 5 feet. This doesn't work for me, but if it's on a mig cart it's just fine.

Setup for mig gun. Nothing unusual about setup, except when you tighten down the wing nut your hand may hit the switch for the spool gun. This happened to me and I had to figure out why the wire wasn't feeding in. And that was why.

I welded some 1/8" flat stock and keep in mig I hardly mig weld. Haven't touched mine in awhile to be perfectly honest. Well haven't done much welding at all besides those two lamps because it's so damn cold. This thing is not rated for 1/8" with c25. Probably could do it with flux since it burns hotter, but this is the scrap I had sitting around so I tried it out.

My impressions: I like it. I just turned the voltage all the way up and the wire speed pretty high as a starting point and didn't have to move it from there. It did not penetrate all the way through on 1/8". However with a bevel, preheat, flux core it could be a different story. It has a smooth and crisp arc. Welds great to be honest. I honestly thought before it got here it would be an ok el cheapo machine, but so far that isn't the case. I like it a lot.

I'll post up my video when it's done editing of the unboxing.
Here are a few bead pics, keep in mind I'm no pro and have't mig welded in a bit. So aside from being a little cold because of the metal thickness it's a good machine.

Just a amateur and the real reason I got this machine was for the spool gun. Still need some more hood time with it, but it's really cool to have around.

And last update, did some more welding with it last night. The more I use it the more I like it. I've tried a lot of 130/140 mig welders. There doesn't seem to be too much difference between them all.
Longevity ProMTS200
Longevity ForceCut 62i
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Gamble

Default Re: Longevity Mig Weld 140 & Spool gun = SWEET!

What I like about each machine:

Hobart: Purge option. Made in USA. No tools to change drive roll.

Longevity: Inexpensive. Rheostat for voltage. Inexpensive spool gun. Fan is on when needed and quiet.

What I don't like about each one:

Hobart: Expensive. Fan is on full time. Pre-selected heat settings.

Longevity: Cheaper drive roll and wing nut instead of a knob.

Which is a better unit:

Can't really say. They both have good/bad points. And weld so close it's not even comparable for the most part. The hobart may have more penetration and it's so minimal it's not even worth stating.
Neither does 1/8" really well, so I probably wouldn't be putting a roll cage in on this. However for thinner material or if you can bevel each end on 1/8" or slightly larger I have no doubt you can get full penetration.

Bottom line:
They are both great units and very very similar. Either one is great for a hobby, shop, weekend fabricator or whatever you plan on welding. If money isn't an object, the hobart seems like a good choice. If you plan on getting a spool and want to stay on a budget and have a machine that do everything just as good as the other 110v mig welders the longevity is a great choice. In this economy I don't see any real advantage to the hobart as everyone is trying to save a buck. If the hobart came with a spool gun at the listed price (around $549) then I'd say it's worth while, but nothing about it is that much different that it warrants a $220 price increase.

Keep in mind I am not a professional welder. I'm self taught. I don't care where the machine is made, and like to budget shop. As long as it works and works well I'll own it. Doesn't matter if it's made in China or not. I'm also not affiliated with any company in any way shape or form. I just do this to help everyone else out and build up my tool collection.

Edit: It seems from my research that not all the hobart handler 140s had this purge option so keep that in mind. Maybe mine is newest model?

Unboxing video:
Longevity MigWeld140 Unboxing. Spool Gun. 110v mig welder - YouTube

Welding video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tcft1c6LEE
Longevity ProMTS200
Longevity ForceCut 62i
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
braol

Dont have one of their welders, but do have a plasma. I have used it a lot and it works great. Cuts just as good as a friends Miller, if I do my part. Will likely be getting a welder from them this year. Leaning toward the 200S

Last edited by braol; 01-18-2013 at 11:14 PM.
braol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
MattPersman

Thanks for the review can you update it with flux use? Are you planning on trying that route? Thanks
MattPersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Gamble

You know, I don't have any flux, but if I happen to get some or find a roll I would be more than happy to try it out for you.
Longevity ProMTS200
Longevity ForceCut 62i
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Gamble

If you guys are interested in any of the longevity items, just email my sales rep and tell him I referred you and on garage journal and if will give you a discount off the list price.
simon@longevity-inc.com
Longevity ProMTS200
Longevity ForceCut 62i
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
MattPersman

Nice. Thanks for the possible discount, I am thinking about getting on of the mig 140 units
MattPersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Gamble

I love this mig 140. The spool gun is awesome; however I suck with it
That takes skill for sure.

Not sure if I said it or not:
One thing I did notice about a spool gun (keeping in mind I've never used one before) when you hit the trigger the wire comes out kind of forcefully, enough to push a coupon on your table so be sure you have it clamped or held down.
Longevity ProMTS200
Longevity ForceCut 62i
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Badfitup

The forcefulness of the spool gun is for aluminum. You need to really feed the metal in there
That's actually the only reason I would buy the longevity. I have a Snapon MuscleMig. But the spool gun is $1200. I only want to be able to do small aluminum projects. So it's cheaper to by the whole 140 and have a small portable unit.
Badfitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
dellwas
Banned

I'll give you 6 months before you come back whining and snivelling that it's broke, you can't get parts, and Longevity isn't helping much. Do a google search, plenty of horror stories out there on them.
dellwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Badfitup

Well I can not bad mouth anything that I have not tried. I also believe alot of people are abusive on there equipment and I have several welders high dollar and low. And get what I pay for. I don't do alot of aluminum so I don't see a reason to down alot of money. I did order the equipment. They were helpful on the phone with me. (Not saying that's not because I was giving them $) but I will keep you posted over time on how I feel about this machine. I only am using it to make fishing rod holders and cooler racks.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
mannspwz

I have used it a lot and it works great.
mannspwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
Badfitup

Thumbs up Re: Longevity Mig Weld 140 & Spool gun = SWEET!

I think people forget they are a beginners hobbiest machine. and Expect to be able to role out pipe welds with it . Also I don't see me being a sniveler, If something breaks I enjoythe challenge of the repair. Just Like most the people on this site
Old 09-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwas View Post
I'll give you 6 months before you come back whining and snivelling that it's broke, you can't get parts, and Longevity isn't helping much. Do a google search, plenty of horror stories out there on them.
Well it's been 8months and it's still going strong.
No complaints.
And the beauty of a transformer machine is that they hardly ever break and parts are cheap!
They have been around for about 10 years, pretty sure they aren't going away anytime soon.
Longevity ProMTS200
Longevity ForceCut 62i