Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Gary S

Default Menards 11% off sale again

Time to go garage shopping again. Menards is running its 11% off sale on everything this week.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
allinon72

Default Re: Menards 11% off sale again

Keep in mind that the 11% is in the form of a mail in rebate. I love Menards but that just isn't worth it unless you are making a large purchase.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Figures they would do it now, we're workign towards a refi on the house and I don't need to be spending cash right now. I need a couple of more squares of siding to finish the garage this spring.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Keep in mind that the 11% is in the form of a mail in rebate. I love Menards but that just isn't worth it unless you are making a large purchase.
The one thing I consider about it though, it makes the final price lower than what it's listed for, kinda like getting it tax-free.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
vartz04

And you get a check you can only use at menards. still might go pick up a heater.
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Gary S

I get to Menards at least once a week, so their rebate is as good as Uncle Sam's currency to me.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
never enuf time

Ya , I end up there at least once a week. I been waiting for this to use a gift card I got Christmas.
never enuf time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Ray916MN

I've got a few hundred dollars of Menards credit from the last 11% deal. Time to buy some more stuff and get a compounded discount.
Ray916MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
diggerrick

Yesterday I used a store credit from 2011 that I found in my desk drawer.

I guess they don't expire anymore.

Still have $11 to spend!
diggerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartz04 View Post
And you get a check you can only use at menards. still might go pick up a heater.
When did they start doing that. I know the check that I got, I cashed it at the bank, but that's been maybe two years ago.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
When did they start doing that. I know the check that I got, I cashed it at the bank, but that's been maybe two years ago.
At least the past two years here.

I personally dont see the "Menards only" rebates as any big deal, its not like Im never gonna shop there again. My house/garage/projects will always need something...
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
JohnnyWest

One thing many people don't understand is that Menard's is famous for these sales but they don't look carefully at the prices BEFORE the sale.

I was at Menard's last week to get some ideas on what I'd need to purchase for finishing up a construction job and made a note of everything I was going to buy. Then, when I went in today, every single item I made note of was MORE expensive between 1.50 and 3 dollars. Not just some of the items, EVERY SINGLE ITEM.

Basically, they mark up the items so that when you go into get them at 11% off, they're really the same price. And they're hoping that most people won't mail in the rebate.

It's a typical bait and switch and very typical of Menard's. Sure, they have low prices, but this kind of sleazy stuff puts a bad taste in my mouth.
JohnnyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
Super Sport
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWest View Post
One thing many people don't understand is that Menard's is famous for these sales but they don't look carefully at the prices BEFORE the sale.

I was at Menard's last week to get some ideas on what I'd need to purchase for finishing up a construction job and made a note of everything I was going to buy. Then, when I went in today, every single item I made note of was MORE expensive between 1.50 and 3 dollars. Not just some of the items, EVERY SINGLE ITEM.

Basically, they mark up the items so that when you go into get them at 11% off, they're really the same price. And they're hoping that most people won't mail in the rebate.

It's a typical bait and switch and very typical of Menard's. Sure, they have low prices, but this kind of sleazy stuff puts a bad taste in my mouth.
I've never noticed that, and I always look at prices there. Do you really think they go through the entire store and change all the tags?

They've gotten smarter though. No ads overlap this time. Usually on Sundays you could get items on sale and get the 11%.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
purplezr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWest View Post

This must be something new, as someone who worked for menards I didn't see this happen when they would have the 11% off sales. I know they would mark things with the colorful sale tag and if you looked under neither the white tag would be the same price.

Last edited by purplezr2; 01-20-2013 at 01:41 PM.
purplezr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
DougMN

First post and it's about this?
DougMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
never enuf time

I haven't noticed the $ going up before 11% sale. I really doubt it too.
never enuf time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Basstracker34

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplezr2 View Post
This must be something new, as someone who worked for menards I didn't see this happen when they would have the 11% off sales. I know they would mark things with the colorful sale tag and if you looked under neither the white tag would be the same price.
I'm often taking the sale tag out to see what the regular price was. Lets me know if it's a great deal or a so so one. Gotta admit I have purchased some things that weren't really needed at the time because the sale was just too good to pass up. My thoughts on tools though is you can never have enough.
Basstracker34 is offline   Reply With Quote