Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Which Milwaukee Series?
M12 37 45.12%
M18 45 54.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Rhyno37

Default Milwaukee M12 vs M18

I've really been second guessing my needs lately. I've taken a liking to Milwaukee tools after buying a sawzall last week. The thing is a beast compared to the Dewalt my dad has. That being said, I am caught in between which drill/impact to buy, the M12 or M18?

I can't honestly say either will see heavy use. I would like to get into woodworking now, start off by building a work bench then go from there. In the future I may build a fence around the property, but that's the biggest thing I can think of. Other than that I would use them for general around the home tasks. Other than the drill and impact, I'd be unlikely to get any other cordless tools. For the most part I prefer to have a cord on my sawzall, circular saw, etc. Price is not a huge factor for me, though I do enjoy getting the best bang for my buck.

I assume the M12 will meet most my needs, but don't want to buy it and find out an M18 would have suited me better. Even bigger worry of mine, can you rebuild M12 batteries? I know you can rebuild M18's, and since Li-Ion batteries last around 3-5 years, I'd like the ability to rebuild them when the time comes.

So in your guys' opinions, which would be the better buy for me? Does anyone have experience with both?
Rhyno37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
03protege

Default Re: Milwaukee M12 vs M18

Is more just general duty- using screws? If so the m12 is more than sufficient and with the new FUEL version coming out it will be even better. If you find yourself needing to drive a lot of lag bolts I would opt for the m18.

Also something to consider is what other tools will you be interested in? The m18 has a large impact wrench and circular saws where the m12 has more precision electric ratchets, rotary(dremel), and oscillating tools.

I install curtain rods quite frequently and I gotta say if you plan on ever wearing the drill on your hip for any amount of time there is no way you will ever go back to a full size drill unless you absolutely need it.

If you haven't already checked them out youtube has some really good product reviews and you can seen them in action driving different fasteners.
03protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
bofe954

I just bought the M12.

My logic was this. I am a homeowner hobbyist. I had 14.4 V porter cable that lasted me about 10 yrs and bit the dust after a ladder fall. It was powerful enough.

I can get the M12 for about $140. I am missing a 1/2 inch chuck and the hammer drill function of my old drill, and of the M18 I'd buy for $240.

Next time I need a hammerdrill, a 1/2 inch chuck, or am going to do some huge project, I'll pick up a nice corded hammerdrill for about $100.

In the end I spend the same money, $240. I get a corded drill that will likely last until I die and do whatever.

I get a compact easy to use cordless for a relatively cheap price.

No cordless lasts forever and the batteries cost more than the sets to replace. When the M12 dies in however long, I'll get another compact little drill, and not worry about having a 1/2 inch chuck and hammer functions. 99% of what I do with a cordless is BS anyway, the small size will be better for that.
bofe954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
FiendFX

really depends... if you want small compact m12 you dont care about size but want power, go m18. i'm getting both!
FiendFX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
03protege

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
I just bought the M12.

My logic was this. I am a homeowner hobbyist. I had 14.4 V porter cable that lasted me about 10 yrs and bit the dust after a ladder fall. It was powerful enough.

I can get the M12 for about $140. I am missing a 1/2 inch chuck and the hammer drill function of my old drill, and of the M18 I'd buy for $240.

Next time I need a hammerdrill, a 1/2 inch chuck, or am going to do some huge project, I'll pick up a nice corded hammerdrill for about $100.

In the end I spend the same money, $240. I get a corded drill that will likely last until I die and do whatever.

I get a compact easy to use cordless for a relatively cheap price.

No cordless lasts forever and the batteries cost more than the sets to replace. When the M12 dies in however long, I'll get another compact little drill, and not worry about having a 1/2 inch chuck and hammer functions. 99% of what I do with a cordless is BS anyway, the small size will be better for that.
The new Fuel hammer drill will actually have a 1/2" chuck
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2404-22
03protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
bofe954

I wanted to wait for the Fuel M12, but I needed a cordless now, and mine broke. The other thing I wondered about was cost and size, if it was bigger and the cost approached 180-200, it'd make me feel like I should just buy the M18.
bofe954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
RivennHewn

I went all in on the M12.

I get work supplied DeWalt 18v stuff that I can always bring home when I feel the need, but I prefer the smaller, lighter, more than enough power of the M12.

It's a great line of tools, that's getting even better.
RivennHewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
pipsters

I recently posted this on here on another thread. Some folks disassembled the Milwaukee batteries and found the cells are the same Samsung cells as are in the Ridgid 18v line. Ridgid has a lifetime warranty on their tools and batteries when bought in store in a set. Currently there is a drill and 1/4" impact driver combo for $199 now at Home Depot.

Just something to think about.

I don't know about the smaller M series but the 18's would cost about $30 to rebuild. These are them I believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-New-SAM...item3f212ccde9
pipsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
TheGrooveking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I recently posted this on here on another thread. Some folks disassembled the Milwaukee batteries and found the cells are the same Samsung cells as are in the Ridgid 18v line. Ridgid has a lifetime warranty on their tools and batteries when bought in store in a set. Currently there is a drill and 1/4" impact driver combo for $199 now at Home Depot.

Just something to think about.

I don't know about the smaller M series but the 18's would cost about $30 to rebuild. These are them I believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-New-SAM...item3f212ccde9
I would expect that since TTI owns both Milwaukee and the Ridgid
Power tool companies.

TheGrooveking
TheGrooveking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
dsmnickk90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrooveking View Post
I would expect that since TTI owns both Milwaukee and the Ridgid
Power tool companies.

TheGrooveking
The Milwaukee rep told me Ridgid just have small differences in the motors.
dsmnickk90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
jamesc

I have both m18 at work and m12 at home, so far m12 has been more then enough for the household needs and small projects, if you have a good corded 1/2 hammer drill I think m12 will be prefect. m18 is more powerful but you normally don't need that much power at home for the average home maintince.
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
dsmnickk90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc View Post
I have both m18 at work and m12 at home, so far m12 has been more then enough for the household needs and small projects, if you have a good corded 1/2 hammer drill I think m12 will be prefect. m18 is more powerful but you normally don't need that much power at home for the average home maintince.
I have a SDS hammer. To me small corded hammer drills aren't that great. I don't think I'd like the cordless hammer drill either. I'm planing on investing in the m12 fuel line up.
dsmnickk90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmnickk90 View Post
I have a SDS hammer. To me small corded hammer drills aren't that great. I don't think I'd like the cordless hammer drill either. I'm planing on investing in the m12 fuel line up.
I have an SDS hammer too. But when I bought the M18 Fuel drill, I spent the extra $20 on the hammer option, because you get the better chuck with the carbide inserts only with the hammer option.
rlitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Monte

both would be perfect
Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Vin

it all depends what you want to do with it. I have the M12 drill & Hacksaw. They have been fine -- but I'm not doing heavy duty work with them.

You need to decide what is most important to you: size vs. power
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
cheechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
I have an SDS hammer too. But when I bought the M18 Fuel drill, I spent the extra $20 on the hammer option, because you get the better chuck with the carbide inserts only with the hammer option.
This right here. The most useful suggestion for anyone buying a drill.

M12 will probably do most of the drilling and driving you're going to come across indoors or general around your own house stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno37 View Post
after buying a sawzall last week. The thing is a beast compared to the Dewalt my dad has.
Are they both the same amperage tool? There's a world of difference between a 7 & 9 amp, or between a 12 & 15 amp. If I were getting a new one I'd look at the 15 amp Milwaukee or the 12 amp Dewalt, depending on my needs. The Dewalt has the 4-way blade thing which is really useful to some and may not be necessary for others at all.
I'm left handed so there are a lot of things that just don't seem right to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
Folks at trident take damn good care of customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
Most of you will never be happy with a tool line produced in Taiwan regardless of how good it is.
cheechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Looking back at this, there's more to think about.
With the M18 Fuel, the only significant difference between the hammer and non-hammer version was the chuck. The hammer is also about 1/8" longer, but that's not enough of a difference to sway me away from it.

With DeWalt, a lot of times the hammer version will also have the metal gearbox, when the cheaper non-hammer uses plastic. I've ruined enough drills with plastic gearboxes. Metal may be heavier, but that's weight I don't count against the hammer version.

The potential down side to hammer drills is extra weight (from the hammer part itself; I don't concern myself with the weight of a better gearbox) and length. Some "wear" the hammer option very nicely (Milwaukee comes to mind), some do not (nothing I can think of off the top of my head though).

Either way, it is best to put the two in a lineup side by side, and consider that there is often more to the hammer version than just the hammering.

Back to the topic at hand, my M18 Fuel has literally made my 7.8A 1/2" corded DeWalt drill obsolete. The Fuel has more torque, and is a big step up from my 18V NiCd DeWalt.

The M12 brushless is amazing for a tool of it's size, but it would be a step down in power from my 18V DeWalt. I don't think I would be happy with it, but I do think that it would be good for 80-90% of the things I drill, and I could reach for the corded drill the rest of the time (which I had to do with my DeWalt anyway maybe 5% of the time).
rlitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Rhyno37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
I wanted to wait for the Fuel M12, but I needed a cordless now, and mine broke. The other thing I wondered about was cost and size, if it was bigger and the cost approached 180-200, it'd make me feel like I should just buy the M18.
I agree, as much as I'd like the m12 fuel, it's just as much as an m18. Part of the advantage of the m12 is cost.

Also, both sawzalls are 12amp
Rhyno37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #19
IndyGarage

M12 is more compact, and you can choose between the very compact batteries or the XC batteries which have much more juice.

Really unless you are using the tool constantly, or you are using a full size sawsall, or a circular saw an 18v cordless tool is overkill.

That said, I use my M12 hacksall, drill driver and impact gun every day. I also have the Bosch and Makita versions of the drill and impact gun.

For bigger impact tool jobs I use 18v - I have a Milwaukee V18 and a Porter Cable 18v

For the big stuff I have V28/m28 Milwaukees - circular saw, sawsall, portaband, and a 1/2 inch impact gun. I rarely get out the V28 drill anymore, it's just not necessary.

Just a piece of advice - if you buy the M12 - get the one with the drill chuck on the drill and stick with either a 1/4 hex or 3/8 square on the impact.
IndyGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
subarub4

I have a question because I just brought a Milwaukee M18 hammer drill/driver on ebay the other day..

I was curious how it would drilling into brick say a 1/2" hole

Or if the M12 SDS would be better..

I can't afford the M18 hammer which would really be ideal.
subarub4 is offline   Reply With Quote