Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
toddcalo

Default tile requirements

Im considering putting tile in a garage - workshop. but I have some ??
A couple things Im being told locally is that I would want to put a liquid isolation rubber membrane between tile and floor, also to use porcelain tile where the color goes completely through. use epoxy grout and flexible thinset, also porcelain is supposed to be better for heat and no heat in a cold climate. I would like to keep this affordable and if I do all this stuff its going to get real pricey. Is this really the only proper way to do this ?
toddcalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
slickgt1

Default Re: tile requiremnts

You were told some strange stuff.

No membrane between tiles and concrete. Waste of money. Plus the liquid membrane costs a ton. Like a shit ton. Don't do it.

Porcelain through body tile is just that. It is a bit stronger than ceramic, and if you do manage to chip it, it will be same color underneath. That being said, there are a ton of people that have done ceramic, in a working garage, and have no issues with it at all.

You can use any grout, just seal it if you will be working on cars, and have oil spills. I did Epoxy because I didn't want any maintenance at all.

I also used the cheapest thinset there was in the store. First few bags were gray thinset, some were white, I wasn't picky. Not like I will see it. Consider getting a kerabond liquid thinset additive. Will make your thinset tough as hell.

Look for tiles that are PEI IV or PEI V, those would be the ones you want for your garage and climate. Coeficient of friction above .55 would be about the same traction as concrete. That's it. Don't go crazy putting down all the fancy crap people try to push on you. Trust me, it will be tougher than most any floor you will put down. Look at my sig links if you still have doubts.
slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
toddcalo

Can you buy regular grout that is not epoxy that dosent require sealing?

Last edited by toddcalo; 01-24-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Dakota00

Regular grout doesn't require sealing. But I do recommend sealing light and medium color tones, if you are planning to use your space as a working garage. If you are using a dark tone, there's no need for a sealer but it doesn't hurt to apply it either. It's not expensive and it's easy to apply and wipe off.

As for thinset use the Kerabond/Keralastic system. Works great in weather changing climates.

Click Here! To learn more about the benefits of tiling your garage floor.
Dakota00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
toddcalo

How many feet of tile can be put down before a exspansion joint of some type is required ? Or is it required at all over concrete ?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
mayday0017

Never seen an expansion joint in Tile, don't think it would ever need one...
mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Dakota00

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddcalo View Post
How many feet of tile can be put down before a exspansion joint of some type is required ? Or is it required at all over concrete ?
If the concrete slab has control joints you "can" respect those joints by laying the tiles grout lines along them. Many, still tile over control joints with no ill affects.
If there's no control joints in the slab, none are required when laying tiles.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Herb67SS

Sealing is to prevent staining, I believe. If you use a dark grout, why sel it if it won't show stains? Soon as the weather warms up, I'm laying 1000 ft of PEI 4 porcelain and will use standard dark colored grout with 1/8inch spacing on the tiles. I don't plan to seal it.

I'm not one to just say search, but there is a ton of info on this site and much data re: tile. I can assure you, it's probably been asked and discussed on this site ;-)
Herb67SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
noweare

Sealing grout is over rated. I would use epoxy grout in a garage though. It cleans up well and will be able to take the winters better than cement based grout.

Marble Polishing NH & MA

All Surface Restoration LLC
Serving New Hampshire & Massachusetts
noweare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
Dakota00

Epoxy grout is way more expensive, not very user friendly at all for those with no experience in using it. Very labour intensive to do the job and is overkill for a garage floor. But to each their own.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
slickgt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota00 View Post
Epoxy grout is way more expensive, not very user friendly at all for those with no experience in using it. Very labour intensive to do the job and is overkill for a garage floor. But to each their own.
+1. Very expensive compared to the regular grout. I did it in my garage, because for me, it was a place to learn to use it. I have been avoiding trying it till I did my garage. Now I won't use anything else. I practiced on hidden areas. And if you mess up. holy shit, I was buffing 10 tiles for 2 hours.

Key thing I learned, do not let epoxy grout haze on your tiles like regular grout. You pretty much have to wash it off the tile right away. Even though you cleaned the tiles, do not walk on them, the epoxy leaves a sticky feeling film. So unless you want your boot prints all over your tiles, go away till it dries.
slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
toddcalo

It looks like most of you guys are using glazed tile, the tile I'm looking at is a through body porcelain Pei 5 (no glazing) does anyone have any thing to say one way or the other, pros and cons. I have done some destructive testing on a sample piece the only thing I found that seemed to be a problem is welding spatter, It sticks to the tile then leaves a small divot behind when removed (will just have to be care full welding).
When I try to scratch it with a jack knife it dulls the knife but dose not hurt the tile ,it does however leave a little metal in the surface of the tile. That why I'm wondering if it would be worth the added risk of having a glazed tile (color body) for easier cleaning, or go with the through body (no glaze). Just looking for some input. Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
bdamico

Quote:
It looks like most of you guys are using glazed tile, the tile I'm looking at is a through body porcelain Pei 5 (no glazing) does anyone have any thing to say one way or the other, pros and cons. I have done some destructive testing on a sample piece the only thing I found that seemed to be a problem is welding spatter, It sticks to the tile then leaves a small divot behind when removed (will just have to be care full welding).
When I try to scratch it with a jack knife it dulls the knife but dose not hurt the tile ,it does however leave a little metal in the surface of the tile. That why I'm wondering if it would be worth the added risk of having a glazed tile (color body) for easier cleaning, or go with the through body (no glaze). Just looking for some input. Thanks
i think you're wrong but dunno. throughbody here.
bdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
toddcalo

Anyone else have any input on (color body glazed) vs (through body not glazed) ?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Angelfire

I would go the through body unglazed but I'm making an assumption that glazed will not have a good coef. of friction when wet.
Angelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
Dakota00

through body not glazed!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
Herb67SS

Dakota is a pro so his opinion carries some weight. I've noted that he has selflessly helped a lot of us amateurs on this forum. But I'm using glazed cuz I got it for less than a buck a square ft. in 18 inch square format. On a thousand sq ft that makes a difference. I'm also not using epoxy grout. I will use a very dark gray colored grout with 1/8th inch spacing. Epoxy would be overkill and an unnecessary expense in my opinion.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
toddcalo

In the long run 10 15 years do you think regular grout will give any troubles?
what would be the best grout to use for a tight grout line .125 ? sanded or unsanded?
Any brand in particular?

I know I ask alot of ? but I really only want to do this once and not have any grieve down the road.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #19
Dakota00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb67SS View Post
Dakota is a pro so his opinion carries some weight. I've noted that he has selflessly helped a lot of us amateurs on this forum. But I'm using glazed cuz I got it for less than a buck a square ft. in 18 inch square format. On a thousand sq ft that makes a difference.
Herb,

Don't get me wrong, ideally through body would be the way to go for a garage floor. But if you got a great price on glazed porcelain tiles, which you did!! I'd be in your shoes installing them in my garage as well!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
Herb67SS

Quote:
In the long run 10 15 years do you think regular grout will give any troubles?
what would be the best grout to use for a tight grout line .125 ? sanded or unsanded?
Any brand in particular?

I know I ask alot of ? but I really only want to do this once and not have any grieve down the road.

That's a great question. The tech data on most grouts say to use unsanded for 1/8inch or smaller joints, sanded for larger joints/lines. I'm not sure what correct answer is. Not sure whether it matters for that size joint.

Since I'm using glazed porcelain tile, I plan to do 1/8 inch joint and keep the grout high in the joints to hopefully reduce tile edge chipping potential from rolling steel wheels across the joints I.E. from engine stands, creepers, engine hoists. I THINK unsanded would provide the smoothest transition across joint lines, but again, the pros that do tile for a living need to weigh in and maybe provide some thoughts and guidance.

What I am certain of is that with very light colored tile and very dark colored grout, I won't be using epoxy grout. I put it in the same category as epoxy floor finishing. After you've done once or twice, the anxiety and concerns of doing it are GREATLY diminished. But for a novice doing a large floor, one time only, I don't need the practice. Nor do I need the potential work of having to fix what I screwed up with hours, days and weeks of corrective effort. Even though i will be having a tile setter laying the floor for me. Sh-t happens. I'm too old and life's too short for that. ;-)

Last edited by Herb67SS; 02-06-2013 at 10:51 AM.