Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
maximum

Default How to extend my garage door?

Looking for some advice on modifying my standard garage door of about 7 feet in height. I want to put a 4 post lift but the door will run into the car when it is elevated. I've located some track that would extend the vertical section on each side but I wanted to know if anyone has done this. I could get at least 2 more feet if there's no problem. Appreciate any guidance.
maximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
PhantomEB

Send a message via MSN to PhantomEB
Default Re: How to extend my garage door?

I kinda did this but in a different way, I wanted full clearance of the door opening so at first I got some more track, then piggybacked it which didnt work, busted all the rivets then bent it right where I butted the new to the old.

Second try worked better, capped it backside and topside with 2x2 angle iron and tack welded the door track to the angle iron. WORKS great, just have to push the door up higher as my opener has to be disconnected since it wont pull it to where I want it to.
PhantomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Northstar9126

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEB View Post
I kinda did this but in a different way, I wanted full clearance of the door opening so at first I got some more track, then piggybacked it which didnt work, busted all the rivets then bent it right where I butted the new to the old.

Second try worked better, capped it backside and topside with 2x2 angle iron and tack welded the door track to the angle iron. WORKS great, just have to push the door up higher as my opener has to be disconnected since it wont pull it to where I want it to.
What if you lengthened the arm that connects the door opener to the door?
Northstar9126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
kbs2244

I used a standard length door opener with 8 foot high doors and 10 foot high ceilings by mounting it about 18 inches away from the door opening. I found the right location by running the traveler all the way to the end of the track.
(In a normal install the traveler never gets closer than 18 to 24 inches to the door opening and that part of the track is wasted.)
You do have to put in front to back bracing since the track isn’t braced against the door header anymore.
Then I used a piece of that angle iron with all the holes punched in it to make an extension for a longer arm. It worked fine.
Pay attention now. This is important.
Since you do not now have the very top rollers on the door resting past the start of the curve in the track you have to play with both the length of the arm and the location of door end of the track so that at the start of the lift you are pulling up, not sideways. Otherwise you are pulling sideways against the track edges not inline with the track length.
And that will bust up your door.
This is why the arm has that curve in it.
Be patient. You will not get it right the first time.
This kind of geometry lesson is what the jackshaft style openers avoid.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
JohnZ

I have 18' x 8' sectional doors and a 12' ceiling. Had the door in front of my lift bay converted from its original standard configuration to "high-lift" by adding a dummy section at the top (not visible from the outside), raised the horizontal tracks to 8" from the ceiling, raised the operator track to 2" from the ceiling, stronger torsion springs, lengthened the existing drawbar. The extra dummy section solves the geometry problem of translating the horizontal pull of the opener to an initial vertical pull on the door.

JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
SharkD

I recently had a completely new track and Liftmaster 3850 installed. The door is a 10'x7' (WxH), originally with a 12" radius curve and the opener hanging about 2' below the 9'8" ceiling.

Now, it's a 32" radius, with the opener about 6" below the ceiling. The door is about 2' higher and raises and lowers much more smoothly. The opener arm had to be extended, using the old arm and the new arm, bolted together.

The install cost $500 for the new track, including the high-lift.
SharkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
maximum

Thanks all. I went ahead and did the job on Monday. All I ended up using was some old track for some extensions and was able to raise it up about 32 inches. I will need to do the "dummy" extension like you did so I can run the electrics instead of the old fashioned human assist.
maximum is offline   Reply With Quote