Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
mrjaw14

Default show me your DIY socket organizers

I have the HF 44" tool chest with the single full-length drawer that's 38" x 18".
I have the HF socket organizer and the 3/8" and 1/4" are fine, but the 1/2" are too long because I don't have a complete 1/2" socket set. I don't have 16mm, and several of the other sizes. My craftsman 1/2" socket set starts at 9mm...and yes I know that 9mm in 1/2 is kinda pointless, however I have it, and it has no home. Also the tray goes up to 27mm & 1 1/4 sae and I don't have or plan on needing sockets that large. I do have them in impact, but I have a separate organizer for those and will use those with a ratchet if I need a socket that large. so I have small sockets that don't have homes, and homes for large sockets I don't have.

That's the issue...now here's what I want: My socket set will evolve over time as I replace my cheaper stuff with nicer stuff. so I want the ability to arrange my sockets without a lot of empty space that I'd get with a hansen organizer if I don't have that size (like a 16mm) also I want labels. I don't like having to hunt for sockets. I thought about a magnetic socket holder, or some of those ernst style socket holders, but alas there's not an easy way to label anything that way. I know the ernst comes with tiny labels for the plastic socket clips, but in a high density drawer things would be spaced so close that the labels wouldn't be of much use.

I am thinking about dowel rods, painted blue and red for mm and sae, then printing labels and heat shrinking them onto the dowel rods. I don't really want to have a wood base, would make it large & heavy. I can't figure out a way to attach those to a ernst style or the metal socket clips that would be customizable like I want and still have labels

I'd be very interested to see your setups that might help me make mine.
mrjaw14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Mike14k

Default Re: show me your DIY socket organizers

I had somewhat the same issue with a lot of orphan socket sets and spares I had inherited. Gives me a place to store them and also add/subtract.

I made this assembly out of socket rails from HF and some scrap 1" aluminum in about 15 minutes. As they change, I just take a bolt out of the end, and slide the socket clips on and off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtneer_man/7819974698/

Hope that helps.

I have four different shops in one house to take care of my:

Supercharged Jaguar XKR
Jaguar XJ8
Mercedes E-500
Jeep Commander
Honda TRX420
CanAm Spyder ES
Mike14k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Mike14k

This might be overkill........

Another socket organizer I made years ago. I used an Excel spreadsheet, measured each socket diameter and plugged it in the spreadsheet. Then created a formula that worked out the C/L spacing for the wooden dowels the sockets slide over, so I had the same spacing in between. I used pre-cut joiner dowels. 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2"

I then converted that information in Visio to full size templates, attached it to the plywood and drilled the holes for the dowels.

That was back when I had a lot of time on my hands But it's worked well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtneer_man/359112057/

I have four different shops in one house to take care of my:

Supercharged Jaguar XKR
Jaguar XJ8
Mercedes E-500
Jeep Commander
Honda TRX420
CanAm Spyder ES
Mike14k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
NoNN37

do a search. a quick serach turned up these.

NoNN37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
mrjaw14

I've seen all those. they are A) wood bases, and B) not labeled. I was looking for more elegant solutions as indicated in my post. I'm getting real sick of people jumping on the "do a search" wagon. There's not a thread dedicated to DIY organizers that I found, and what about new stuff made since then....maybe people that made those have changed or have input after using it for a while.

besides, searching for threads isn't what keeps forums open. people talking does!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
NoNN37

Well you said you wanted to do them with wood and dowels.
youll notice some have the bases made in sections so its not one heavy big-ass piece of plywood (its gonna get heavy with the sockets anyway). You can customize or replace that section instead of redoing an entire board. Then just buy a label maker and put the numbers.
NoNN37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
DirtRoad

These are one of those things that are cheap to buy and so many options out there. Dont see much point in making your own unless your extremely board.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
mrjaw14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNN37 View Post
Well you said you wanted to do them with wood and dowels.
youll notice some have the bases made in sections so its not one heavy big-ass piece of plywood (its gonna get heavy with the sockets anyway). You can customize or replace that section instead of redoing an entire board. Then just buy a label maker and put the numbers.
True, but I was thinking more along the lines of using them just for the retention and label portion. if I drilled a small hole in the bottom, then had a bunch of holes in my base material, I could rearrange the dowels at will by screwing them into another hole. The solutions I've seen thus far are permanently fixed to the wooden base, which is not easy to change if you change your setup. I'm torn, I want the nice labels the pre-made organizers offer, but all the options I've seen like the HF trays or the hansen trays are not configurable. The ernst and similar solutions are very configurable, but not easy to tell what stuff is
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
d.mcfarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
True, but I was thinking more along the lines of using them just for the retention and label portion. if I drilled a small hole in the bottom, then had a bunch of holes in my base material, I could rearrange the dowels at will by screwing them into another hole. The solutions I've seen thus far are permanently fixed to the wooden base, which is not easy to change if you change your setup. I'm torn, I want the nice labels the pre-made organizers offer, but all the options I've seen like the HF trays or the hansen trays are not configurable. The ernst and similar solutions are very configurable, but not easy to tell what stuff is
You are way overthinking this, to the extent that nobody here is going to have what you want.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Givl Reggin

For expandability and maximizing use of space, it's hard to beat rails...

I used Craftsman rails, black for inch and gray for metric.
Givl Reggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
mrjaw14

I ended up making my own organizers. Didn't get the socket size labels like I wanted. I thought about short dowel rods painted red or blue with a small screw going into the top of the metal socket clip. I tested it, and it worked well except that I couldn't get it perfectly straight so I abandoned the idea for now. I wanted to show what I made and get your thoughts on how it turned out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130209-00175.jpg (145.6 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130209-00177a.jpg (113.0 KB, 361 views)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
usmc_noma

I like the way that turned out. The only thing I'd do differently is keep the same size together, ie 1/4", 3/8", 1/2". Currently I have them just thrown on a rail together with the same size, deep/short, and 6pt/12pt in my top drawer. I'd like to get a bigger box or a top box before I organize more.
usmc_noma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
Sloasszx3

That looks pretty good. I'm still trying to make a nice setup like that.
Sloasszx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
84TurboBuick

These are what I made at one time.

After I built my toolbox, I went with something else.

Make your own toolbox!!!..........
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50256
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39014
84TurboBuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #15
Conductor562

I bought a set of Hanson trays for 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". They had some odd sizes on them (to me at least) such as 1" on the 3/8" tray. Is anyone actually using a 1" socket in 3/8" drive Being the particular bastard that I am, I just started buying the fillers.

Looking for Plomb War Finish combos larger than 11/16"

TOOLS IN ACTION Blog
Conductor562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #16
mrjaw14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor562 View Post
I bought a set of Hanson trays for 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". They had some odd sizes on them (to me at least) such as 1" on the 3/8" tray. Is anyone actually using a 1" socket in 3/8" drive Being the particular bastard that I am, I just started buying the fillers.
This is exactly why I made my own. I have the 44" HFT box, which is a good box don't get me wrong, but it's not very deep. The hansen style organizers just took up too much room. I have 8 rails on the one I made that fits into a 16"x12" footprint that I can arrange any way I want. I actually have the black plastic HFT organizers for my 3/8" and 1/4" sockets. I use the one I made for 1/2" drive and adapters for all 3 drive sizes. here's a pic of the whole socket drawer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130209-00176a.jpg (118.4 KB, 344 views)
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Conductor562

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
This is exactly why I made my own. I have the 44" HFT box, which is a good box don't get me wrong, but it's not very deep. The hansen style organizers just took up too much room. I have 8 rails on the one I made that fits into a 16"x12" footprint that I can arrange any way I want. I actually have the black plastic HFT organizers for my 3/8" and 1/4" sockets. I use the one I made for 1/2" drive and adapters for all 3 drive sizes. here's a pic of the whole socket drawer
I'm going to end up making something. The Hansons go all the way down to 10MM and 3/8" in 1/2" drive, but only go up to 27MM in Metric. Seems to me it would have made much more sense to stop at 13MM and go to 30MM.

The 1/4" trays go all the way to 15MM which seems weird when you consider the 1/2" tray starts at 10MM.

The 3/8" tray goes to 1" despite the fact that most 3/8" sets stop at 7/8" and there are no posts for spark plug sockets.

just seems weird to me.

Looking for Plomb War Finish combos larger than 11/16"

TOOLS IN ACTION Blog
Conductor562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
HaroRider

Heres my setup, limited space in my small Craftsman box.

However I didnt really need to label them. In time I would like to get a bigger box and get better organized, but this is the best I could do with the limited space I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (141.1 KB, 292 views)
Arguing with a woman is like trying to keep a starved grizzly bear with a tapeworm from eating you while you are in a straight jacket with leg chains on and tied to a cannon ball. Chances are its not going to be a good outcome for you in either case.

Last edited by HaroRider; 02-11-2013 at 03:26 PM.
HaroRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
sberry

I sort by size and frequency. Part of my clain to fame is being able to use a common socket and extensions where other people seem to need to come up with something convoluted. I have a box with the "sets" in but 99 times out of a hundred its right there. I dont want to look or sort thru all the stuff I use once in a blue moon, it doesnt even need to be highly orgaiized, will walk to get a socket I use on occasion but I have the commons and the drives easy to reach.

A better tool wouldnt help, an easier one does. A flat rate guy would find it a treat to work in my shop, even parts of my messy box are not bad as the frequency of use for specialty items is low, any given task takes but a few tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg socket tray.jpg (116.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg socket organizer.jpg (140.6 KB, 192 views)
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
ABRM

I don't have a pic but all I did was take a piece of wood that I painted, and drilled holes through it. Then I cut some Dowel sticks for socket posts. Worked well and was cheap. For my next box, I plan on getting some Hansen trays.
ABRM is offline   Reply With Quote