Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
RoadRunner

Default Running Natural Gas to Garage

Any ideas on getting natural gas from the house to the garage? I will probably call the gas company this week to see what they say. I know in the house we use black iron pipe. I am just looking to see what others have done.
RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

I ran corrugated stained steel flex (I believe 1") from the house to the garage. I ran it in a 3-4 inch PVC sleeve. Has to be run deep under ground. Depth depends on code in your area. I ran black pipe up through the garage walls, up to the furnace.

I have a shutoff valve in the basement of the house and one in the attic in the garage.
bmwpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-07-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Uncle Buck
Banned

With gas I would not want to use anything other than black iron pipe, definitely no galvanized for this job!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
MXtras

Oooohh - make sure you check your local code.

Many areas prohibit anyone from running gas pipe except approved contractors. If you are qualified but not officially, contacting the gas company is going to raise a flag and you may not be able to shake 'em if you want to do it yourself.

Scott
MXtras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
Uncle Buck
Banned

MXtras makes an excellent point, it's one of those jobs where you keep your mouth shut, dig below the freeze line, tape connections well and use nothing but black iron, you will have safe heat, keep your money in your pocket, and what the city does'nt know won't hurt them!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
MXtras

Exactly.

But it didn't come from me....

Scott
Old 11-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Quick GN

Is it OK to run soft copper? They ran it outside at my parents place for the natural gas fireplace. and I MAY have used it for my garage furnace
Quick GN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
MXtras

I can't say why not, but my contractor buddy says no, so the answer is no. He is a qualified Gas Contractor.

Personally, I can't see why it would not work, but I guess it has to do with durability and the fact that it can fracture from thermal cycling and vibration. A broken water pipe is one thing, but a broken gas pipe could spawn a front page headline.

Scott
Old 11-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
Uncle Buck
Banned

Actally you can use copper, but only the one rated for underground use. I forget which is which, but one type has blue lettering and markings on the outide of the tubing, and the other type has red markings. The tubing that is more expensive and has heavier wall thickness is suitable for underground use. The other must with any gas connection out of copper tubing is the ends and all fittings must be done in flare fittings. My personal thoughts on running gas underground go to black iron pipe cause you cannot cut the line with a simple hand shovel, but that's just me.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #10
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Black pipe will rust underground. It may be thicker than CSST, but is harder to install since you need a tool to thread the ends.

In my area, the gas company does work beyond the meter, so I had to have it installed. Cost about $1000.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #11
nissantech
FNG

this is my first ever post on any forum so bare with me, ive just finished installing gas to my garage and its 200 feet from the meter on the house to the back of my garage. anyway the system here in ontario canada consists of a special plastic, yellow in color, in my case the furnace size and distance dictated a 1 inch id .the ends of the plastic require a special elbow of metal that is slid onto the plastic with its own special glue, if you dont get it on right the first time its trash ,at 150.00 a pop.the service has to be installed by licensed gas ticke t holder , almost any good furnace shop should be able to do this.the plastic isnt cheap i think it was about 3 bucks a foot. its buried a t 17 inches down with a wire tracetaped to it .
nissantech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
bmwpower
Super Moderator

The "plastic" you're referring to is the CSST I've mentioned. Under the yellow plastic coating is stainless steel flex tubing.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #13
nissantech
FNG

nope pure plastie about 1/4 inch thick. comes in a big coil , various diameters depending on demand , this is on a low presure system. my house is semi rural and the gas arives at high pressure about 14 psi i understand then at the meter it drops to a volme mesured in inches of water apperantly about 1/4 a of a psi thats how its sent on to the garage ,volume not pressure.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #14
nissantech
FNG

i should add that it goes to an honest -40 from time to time and frost goes as much as 4 feet down every winter
Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #15
MCraven210

I have a 200' run going to my garage for my 100,000 btu water heater they used the same stuff that nissantech used. I would have a quaified plumber do it. It is worth the extra money to make sure you don't go boom.

Mike
MCraven210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #16
johnnywhale

I just had the yellow plastic, don't know what it was called, run out to my garage, direct burial, passed some pretty strict code. This is also what LIPA/Keyspan (Utility Co.) uses for street mains.
Johnny
johnnywhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #17
TOMWELDS
Garageaholic

Here, i see them use rigid, threaded pipe with a yellow plastic covering. Not sure what its called but by description, a supply would know the name. Personally, i wouldnt put flex in the ground.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:50 PM   #18
RockCrawlingRobK

Here is what I used.. It is used by PSEG and many other industrial gas companies around the country. It very easy to work with and the adapters already come with pipe attached.

http://www.perfectioncorp.com

It is very rigid but will still allow some flex. I was told pipe would rust and needs to be painted for code and is not recommended due to the ground settling.

Good Luck, I am in the process now. It is fairly easy.

Thanks,

RK
RockCrawlingRobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:10 AM   #19
RoadRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingRobK
Here is what I used.. It is used by PSEG and many other industrial gas companies around the country. It very easy to work with and the adapters already come with pipe attached.

http://www.perfectioncorp.com

It is very rigid but will still allow some flex. I was told pipe would rust and needs to be painted for code and is not recommended due to the ground settling.

Good Luck, I am in the process now. It is fairly easy.

Thanks,

RK
This furnace installers used some type of flexibal stainless with an orangish plastic coating. I inquired about it at my plumbing supply place, and they indicated you need ot be certified to purchase (not a major problem, as I am friends with owner of supply house). Anyway, I don't want to install anything that may go Boom. I like the perfectioncorp stuff. It looks like I can contact rep for my area. I may just ask the heating contractor if he is at the house today.

Any other ideas, let me know.
RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #20
mleichtle

We just had the house put on nat. gas a year ago, The gas company did it. I think they only buried it like 2' or so, the frost line here is 4'.
mleichtle is offline   Reply With Quote