Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Packard V8

Default Snap-on surface polish on black industrial finish vs. chrome

FWIW, on most of my black industrial finish Snap-on, they're as smooth as the chromies. However, on one DBE wrench GBX 1820 from the 1980s, it's as if it were not polished at all. Looks like it went from forging to finishing to out the door. Even still has machining marks on both ends of the shanks where the countersink touched as it cleaned up the bowls of the DBE. Anyone ever seen one this rough get sold before? The ironic thing is it's one of the very, very few Snap-on tools I've ever bought new. ;>)

FWIW, I also have some 1930s Blue Point wrenches before anyone ever worried about polishing. They came pretty much "as forged" and have served me well for fifty years.

jack vines
Packard V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
supra90turbo

Default Re: Snap-on surface polish on black industrial finish vs. chrome

That's a very industrial finish... Lol

I'd be interested in seeing those vintage blue point wrenches
supra90turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
cookefab

The industrials are rough under the finish across all years, but the finish has varied over time - same w/ the chrome, but the polishing has improved as time has passed. The GBX series are of (much) older design - I'd almost be willing to bet that they found some that hadn't been date coded, stamped them current and shipped them out.
The industrial finish were originally marketed toward government/fleet purchase where the chrome finish could be perceived by third parties as "excessive" or "unnecessary" - in the beginning there was a small, but noticeable, savings between black oxide/phosphate and chrome. Now the prices are about the same , and I've seen more than a few instances where black is MORE than chrome.
I have the black GOEX/GOEXM series to complement my FD+ sets - my reasoning was to be different. It helped w/ tool control, as well. Anyway, where the finish has worn over the years looks about the same as above, and some replacements that I've gotten over 20ish years have varied in finish quality. The 10mm replacement that I got from SO last summer was perfect, but the 7/16 that came at the same time was not so great, to put it lightly...
cookefab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Packard V8

Are you saying the GBX is older than the GOEX? I'd have thought the other way round.

All my DBE set is GOEX. It was missing the 1820 and when I ordered a replacement, the Snap-on truckie brought the GBX.

Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing those vintage blue point wrenches
Most of this drawer is pre-1950 date code Blue Point combinations.

These are the 1930s date codes - note embossed lettering

These are the 1940s date codes - note the three differing and debossed type fonts on the logos

jack vines

Last edited by Packard V8; 02-11-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
cookefab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard V8 View Post
Are you saying the GBX is older than the GOEX? I'd have thought the other way round.
If it's double box, then no ...kind of. Snap On continued Blue Point's PN system -in the case of the double box, the original PN's were "X" based - i.e. X for standard length, XS for short and so on...
I can't find an example of "BX" by BP, but "XB" is a current PN series for standard length, standard offset double box wrench. The "G" prefix denotes industrial finish, and there are not any double box (2x box) available in industrial finish currently...I have a few older SO GXB series wrenches from the 90's - as in industrial standard length, 10 degree offset 2x box. As for "GBX" or "BX" - I'm still looking.
Try collectingsnapon.com or contact SnapMom for more/faster info...
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
cookefab

Wait a damn minute...if your PN on the specified wrench is GBX, then you don't have an unpolished chrome wrench; you have an industrial finished wrench that lost its finish.

Disregard my guess from my first post...

Still hunting for that "BX" code in BP or SO, though...

I'd like to see the DBE, or 2x Box, w/ GOEX PN's - the "OEX" part means - "OE" for open end, "X" for combination...the "G" adds industrial finish...the DBE/2x box should be X for 60 degree, XB for 10 degree and so on...

Last edited by cookefab; 02-11-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: factuality
Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Packard V8

Quote:
Wait a damn minute...if your PN on the specified wrench is GBX, then you don't have an unpolished chrome wrench; you have an industrial finished wrench that lost its finish.
The GXB in the two photos above is still essentially new and has all of it's orignal finish. The black is just difficult to photograph.

On the earlier wrenches, You're sort of right and I was looking at the wrong list on the p/n. GXV1820 is the correct number. The photo below is the one I bought to complete my set and replace the GXB 1820.

I bought the GXV set new, never used but obviously old stock in 1975 and the one GXB new from the Snap-on truck in 1982.

jack vines

Last edited by Packard V8; 02-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
supra90turbo

thanks for the pictures, Jack! Those are very cool!
supra90turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
cookefab

Gotcha...so it is GXB, not GBX? You had me going for a bit...

Last edited by cookefab; 02-11-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: smilie not working