Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
bdamico

Default My modern sliding door soffit cabinet install

I already installed my porcelain tile floor here

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=151789

Then I installed my blue Saber cabinets here.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ighlight=saber

As I have a modern house, we have a flat roof and no attic. So overhead storage is necessary. In this thread, I will discuss installing a loft over those cabinets with sliding doors. So we'll go from this

to this

bdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
bdamico

Default Re: My modern sliding door soffit cabinet install

My soffit cabinets are about 17' long and 55" deep (which was dictated by my rafters. Construction is 2x4 bolted like crazy to the cinderblock walls with alligator toggler anchors and attached to rafters as well.

I started by boxing an 8" section on the floor. This was ultimately a mistake but wanted to see how it would go together before building on the wall. sorry for the fuzzy phone picture

Then I had to hoist that damn thing up into position (the part where i wished i had just built it on the wall.

After that, I continued construction on the wall

Note the top and bottom of the front 2x4s. I originally wanted to dado out the trenches for the tracks but found it too hard to get a clean 8' line on boards that aren't necessarily straight. I settled by notching out the 2x4 and then attaching a 1x4 to the back to make the trench for the sliding door tracks.

Here construction is basically done

Last edited by bdamico; 02-12-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
bdamico

I used 5/8" plywood for the decking. Note the tracks that I started to fit. I discuss that more in a minute

I bought bypass sliding door tracks from outwater plastics. I really like the tracks because they come with wheeled trucks for the doors to fit on so they slide smooth. I wish i had better pictures but I got lazy. Because one of the biggest expenses was custom cut plexiglass doors, I test fit a dummy balsa board to get it right.

The doors are 1/8 smoked plexiglass from rplastics.com. I ordered four 4x8 sheets and had them cut to size. Best prices and service I could find. I also had them drill holes for the finger pulls.

Here they are installed before sheet rock. Also note that I wired and test fit here recessed led lights from superbrightleds.com. More pictures of those later.

Last edited by bdamico; 02-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
bdamico

Then sheetrocked with 5/8 and installed trim around the edges. I'm not perfectly happy with the trim and may redo it but I just wanted my garage back. The next project is to rip out the water heater and replace it with a commercial stainless sink and a mini split.

Last edited by bdamico; 02-12-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Higgins

Nice Look! Lots' of storage, and you can take it with you should you move!!!
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
... and you can take it with you should you move!!!
Huh? Well, the doors anyway. Speaking of doors that plexi had to be VERY spendy. Wouldn't filled/smoothed plywood painted gloss black have accomplished the same at a fraction of the cost? I mean they're out of direct line of sight. But it DOES look great.

Looking at it on my phone so I can't see detail. Are the LED's under this soffit or IN it to light the contents? Where is/are the switches?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Huh? Well, the doors anyway. Speaking of doors that plexi had to be VERY spendy. Wouldn't filled/smoothed plywood painted gloss black have accomplished the same at a fraction of the cost? I mean they're out of direct line of sight. But it DOES look great.

Looking at it on my phone so I can't see detail. Are the LED's under this soffit or IN it to light the contents? Where is/are the switches?
Plexi wasn't that bad (just checked $340). And that's what I wanted. They are not completely opaque so they help keep it more airy. And hard to tell in the pics but definitely not jet black in person.

The lights are below the soffit to combat the shadow that the soffit created. They are wired to the insteon switch by the workbench and are tied to the undercabinet leds there. No lights in the soffit cabinet--the overhead garage lights shine right in.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

$300 isn't terrible (tho 1/8" plywood would have been way cheaper - and I'm a cheap bastard! lol) and it certainly does look classy. I like it.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
$300 isn't terrible (tho 1/8" plywood would have been way cheaper - and I'm a cheap bastard! lol) and it certainly does look classy. I like it.
Thanks. I like them.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
dubber

Wow, that looks phenomenal. Great design and layout.

dubber's double

dubber's single

2004 .:R / 2014 JETTA TDI
dubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
cdecker

Do you have a link to the LED's you used from superbrightleds.com? I've been looking for some that will fit into the depth of a 2x4 like this...
cdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
akdiesel

Your project turned out great. Do the led lights add for your bench lighting or does it shadow.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdecker View Post
Do you have a link to the LED's you used from superbrightleds.com? I've been looking for some that will fit into the depth of a 2x4 like this...
Here you go. They were pretty cheap and I'm happy with results

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...dimmable/1269/
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdiesel View Post
Your project turned out great. Do the led lights add for your bench lighting or does it shadow.

Not sure I understand the ?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #15
jmlcolorado

Very sharp looking!
How tall are your ceilings? How much height from the floor to the under side of your cabinets?
The only thing I don't like is the depth, but that's only because I'm picturing your setup in my garage. If I did it, I would probably only do them 24" deep. But for your space, they work very nice!

How did you attach the top plate to the joists above? I might be hesitant with just screws or nails and might opt for a piece of webbing plate similar to what you see on engineered trusses.

None the less, bravo!!
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #16
akdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdamico View Post
Not sure I understand the ?
I was wondering if the new soffit lights aid in lighting the bench area or do they cast a shadow while at he bench.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #17
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdiesel View Post
I was wondering if the new soffit lights aid in lighting the bench area or do they cast a shadow while at he bench.
The don't hurt the bench top and are necessary to prevent the soffit cabinet from casting a huge shadow on the blue cabinets underneath the soffit. Hope that makes sense.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #18
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlcolorado View Post
Very sharp looking!
How tall are your ceilings? How much height from the floor to the under side of your cabinets?
The only thing I don't like is the depth, but that's only because I'm picturing your setup in my garage. If I did it, I would probably only do them 24" deep. But for your space, they work very nice!

How did you attach the top plate to the joists above? I might be hesitant with just screws or nails and might opt for a piece of webbing plate similar to what you see on engineered trusses.

None the less, bravo!!
I can't recall height. I think 11ft or 12ft. Blue cabinets are like 80" and change without legs. Everything is lag bolted to ceiling but primary strength is coming from walls. I certainly wouldn't have nailed either. I really don't store heavy stuff up there. I need the depth. Frankly 24" is not very deep at all--that's the depth of my blue cabinets--it wouldn't have been worth even building for me at that depth.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
fog32

Nice handywork on the soffit. Very simple and clean and the lights add a really nice touch. Good inspiration for those of us just diving into new garage projects.
fog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
duneslider

Do you have any pictures of the track you used? Do you find the thin doors to be too flimsy? I am planning to do a similar type cabinet with sliding by-pass doors but just can't seem to convince myself that doors that thin would hold up well.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote