Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Stuey

Default Kobalt Tool Chests and Cabinets on Sale

I saw in Lowes' new flyer earlier that Kobalt chests and cabinets are 20% off until the 15th. I should have figured as much after seeing the shelves well stocked up for the first time since the winter holidays.

We really need someone to do a Cman vs. Kobalt direct comparison one of these days.

Amazon 50-70%-off Tool Deal-Finder
Stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
maximus96

Default Re: Kobalt Tool Chests and Cabinets on Sale

I bought the 41” SS top and bottom from lowes two weeks ago during memorial weekend. It was also 20% off then. I was able to apply a 20% off coupon from HD and dropped the price from $800 to $640 for the set. Its my first box so I have no previous experiences with other brands but so far I really like it. I think its about 1/2 the price of a stainless box of similar size from sears. The only thing I didn’t like was that fact that it was not wrapped in a protective liner to protect the SS from scratches and smudges. It only had a standard giant plastic bag with styrofoam. Luckily there were no scratches and the smudges came out easily. The included liners look to be of good quality. The drawers roll smooth. The casters are 5”x2” I believe. I rolled it a total of less than 10 feet and now that its in place I don’t plan on moving it around my garage. All in all I think it’s a good deal for $640. A month ago they were on sale for 25% off but I didn’t have a coupon with me then. I was hoping they would do 25% off again for father’s day so I can go back and knock off another $40.
maximus96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
idubvdub

Maximus, have you found that your drawers don't stay open and
kinda slowly creep closed? I just picked one up, first chest as well.
So far I love it except that the drawers on mine won't stay open.
I did lube the slides and bearings pretty good so that might be part of it.
Over all I think its a pretty good chest for the price.
idubvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
maximus96

Quote:
Originally Posted by idubvdub View Post
Maximus, have you found that your drawers don't stay open and
kinda slowly creep closed? I just picked one up, first chest as well.
So far I love it except that the drawers on mine won't stay open.
I did lube the slides and bearings pretty good so that might be part of it.
Over all I think its a pretty good chest for the price.

I think that is by design. If you look at the rails, they are slightly slanted so a weighted drawer will want to close itself. i didn't find this to be a problem. most of my drawers stay open except the wide one in the lower box. maybe i haven't lube the others enough.

How did you lube yours and what did you use? i first tried to spray some white lithium grease on top of the outer and inner rail on both sides for a few drawers. Then I found it slides better if I take the drawer out and put some 3in1 oil on the lower bearings and also on the top of the rails. I’m not sure if this explanation makes sense. I haven’t been able to find anything on exactly where to put lubricant.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
PoorOwner

I think it has to do with the level of the box front to back.
I don't have a kobalt but some of the drawers with enough weight can slowly sliding forward (opposite of what you are describing)
PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
maximus96

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOwner View Post
I think it has to do with the level of the box front to back.
I don't have a kobalt but some of the drawers with enough weight can slowly sliding forward (opposite of what you are describing)
i guess thats why the slides are slanted slightly down and towards the back of the box to prevent it from opening by itself.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
idubvdub

maximus, I didn't take the drawers out 'cause I'm not sure how to do that.
If it's easy enough to explain, would you mind? I'm just afraid I'm gonna mess it up
if I try to figure it out on my own. But I used white lith. grease also. I picked up a can
with a straw that can be attached to the nozzle (same as wd40), extended the drawers and shot it into the rails as far back as I could, rolled it in and wiped off the excess.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
idubvdub

Lightbulb Re: Kobalt Tool Chests and Cabinets on Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOwner View Post
some of the drawers with enough weight can slowly sliding forward (opposite of what you are describing)
Sounds like a good enough excuse if you ask me to buy some more tools to counter weigh the drawers
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
maximus96

Quote:
Originally Posted by idubvdub View Post
maximus, I didn't take the drawers out 'cause I'm not sure how to do that.
If it's easy enough to explain, would you mind? I'm just afraid I'm gonna mess it up
if I try to figure it out on my own. But I used white lith. grease also. I picked up a can
with a straw that can be attached to the nozzle (same as wd40), extended the drawers and shot it into the rails as far back as I could, rolled it in and wiped off the excess.
its real simple to remove the drawers. The manual tells you how. After extending the drawer all the way, you lift up the little tab on the left and push down the tab on the right to release the catch and the drawer slides right out. I found the 3-in-1 oil to be better than white lithium grease. It doesn’t get splattered everywhere and seem to make the drawers glide better.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #10
JEEPFREEK

I've been lurking on here for a while and getting tool box ideas. I'm a hobbiest wrencher, so any of the tool truck brands would be overkill for me, even at craigslist prices. after looking at hardware stores and sears, I decided to go with a kobalt box from lowes. I didn't like the fit or function of the harbor frieght or home depot boxes. I've been hearing bad things about craftsman quality lately and I knew If I waited for sale time, I could get a kobalt box for cheap. after reading about other's tips on here to save money, I tried them all. bought a 20% HD coupon off ebay, waited till father's day sale for the 20% off kobalt boxes, bought a lowe's gift card off craigslist for $150 that had $200 value. the luck of the day came when I bought the floor display model roller cab. they gave me an additional 10% off the roll cab because of a small scratch on the back and the foam on top was gouged (the foam is removed when you put the top box on). So, I got the 41" combo. I paid 344.15 for the bottom cab, & 254.71 for the top chest. I also bought 150 worth of gift cards for the free tools rebate. I just used the gift cards immedately to buy the tool chest. So, $550 out of pocket for a $1000 tool chest seems like a good deal to me!
JEEPFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:33 AM   #11
maximus96

Thats a steal of a price for the 41"
Old 06-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
JEEPFREEK

I got a little tempted when I saw the new 53" kobalt with the radio and fridge, but I figured no.. 41" is all the box I'll never need. So, I bought a stainless mini-fridge for 80 (-20% off for the HD coupon). Already have an ok stereo in the garage with iPod input. And I'll go to HF for some cheap LED puck lights for the interior of the lid.
JEEPFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #13
Ye Moderne Locksmitherie

Those little tabs to release the drawer are brittle... I tried it on a floor model, the thing broke in my hand.

NONE of these boxes are structured in stainless.... the SS is just a decorative wrap-around on the carcass and front of each of the drawers

I found the Kobalt ones to be 3 steps below CSPS....

Which are 3 steep steps below the GOD of all tool chests; "VIDMAR"

A VIDMAR is what all other tool chests WANT to be.

Snap-On is a close second

Vidmar is not at Sams, Costco, WalMArt, Pep Boys or any of thoase fine first class stores! You have to buy via an industrial supply house, or direct.,,, yeah, no checkout line.... aweful!

Another fairly good second-tier product is KENNEDY. They make a heavy duty line, and as long as you like a BRIGHT YELLOW powder finish...... pretty good, lifetime guaranteed box.... and the glides are heavy duty "drop-In" design.... so you can replace them, as well as reconfigure the drawers... ( take out one deep and install 2 shallow ) etc....

I tried to buy Kennedy, but no REAL hardware stores even carry the line any more... I tried 19 of them in the greater Denver area.

When I could not find it, I called Kennedy, to find out what the NAtional Sales Manager does all day.... not much, since he took my call! HE pointed me to some online reshippers.... I wanted to be able to see one. I even offered to sell them in my store, if they provide a sample !

After spending 4 hours trying to find a place to verify that Kennedy has not cheazed on the quality, I gave up and went to Costco for the CSPS box....

At Least I TRIED to buy American.... but the company makes it too tough to do!

Oh, be REAL careful with Costco... the online store is not selling CSPS, they have mainland China knockoff called TRINITY... and the stores have discontinued CSPS and are selling a light version of another brand now.

CSPS is a pretty darn good product, even if it is Taiwan... the casters and push/pull hardware is MONSTROUS! They did not chease at all.

just no service or parts if ever needed.

Last edited by Ye Moderne Locksmitherie; 06-28-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Ye Moderne Locksmitherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

CSPS do seem to be pretty good boxes, although the stainless finish doesn't really do it for me.
Moose-LandTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
maximus96

i don't think anybody can complain at $650. the stainless CSPS are no longer available from costco, at least in my local stores. and when they were in stock, they were over $850. for the same size and price, i'd like someone to show me something better.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
mstraf

Hey...fyi..been looking to get the Kobalt stainless steel toolboxes, 41" top box #258147 and lower box #258180. Been waiting for the x-mas sales and had my 20% HD ready to go. Normally the two are priced at $996 the price has been 10-15% off that price during a few times this season. I got mine yesterday at a new opening at Lowes and here's the breakdown.
Normal price $996. Sale at the store was advertised at $896 but the price on the two units said $846. In addition, store opening flyer stated an additional 20% off the tool boxes bringing the actual selling price to $676. The store manager said the $846 price on the tool boxes was wrong but had to honor that price. So now I'm at $676 and I used my free Lowes gift cards I rec'd from a promo a couple of weeks ago (purchase a $100 gift card and receive a $20 gift card). I had a total of four free $20 gift cards so I used them to bring my final cost down to $596 for both boxes. I didn't attempt to use my HD 20% coupons because I didn't have the heart to ask for another 20% off and don't think he would have honored anyways. So bottom line I got a bit over 40% off the normal price so I'm very pleased. Plus the tool boxes came with very nice draw liners and a custom cover which no other toolbox came with so that's worth even more. Good luck to others
mstraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #17
cobrakillerta

I've just picked up some HD 20% coupons and want to use them on this 41" combo at my local Lowes once they have a sale.
Does anyone have any advice on using the HD coupons at Lowes? Do they hassle/question you at all or is it effortless and straightforward?
Do you think it would be a bad idea to put a box on layaway while using the HD coupon?
cobrakillerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
mstraf

Not sure if you made your purchase or not but the HD coupons won't be honored at Home Depot...long story as to their reasons but bottom line they won't take them. However, at Lowes even though the blogs say you can use the HD coupons on sale items the HD coupons state right on them they can't be used on sale items. If you get them to honor the 20% on a sale item you'll be a magician.
mstraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #19
Garage-Junkie

I was just at Lowe's and they have 20% off all chests, cabinets, work tables and storage boxes for tools. I looked at that big fella' that is about 50 or so inches wide, has a fridge, radio and power outlet (all wastes of space if you ask me), but all in all, I wasn't impressed with the sliders. They did have deep drawers, but they weren't very tall at all. Also, when pulling out or pushing back in, the drawers tend to go in and out at an angle, telling me that when they have a heavy load on them and I'm pushing from the side that there will eventually be some wear.

If I was to use the 20% sale they have now, and if I was able to get the 20% HD coupon accepted, I'd still be at over a grand. Granted it looks neat and some guys I know would dig it, but I'd rather spend a little more for double ball bearing slides and taller / deeper drawers with a higher weight rating (guess that limits me to Craigslist).