Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
svt514

Default How to install floor drain in a existing concrete floor

So I moved in to a new place last yr and am in the process of turning a 40x56 pole barn into a shop. The issue I am currently dealing with is that I want a floor drain in the previously poured floor. What is the best way to do this? The floor is already sloped so the water goes to the middle.

Here is my current idea. Cut out a square of cement and dig a pit a couple feet deep. Then take a post hole digger and go down approx 5',then put a piece of PCV in the hole with holes drilled on the bottom 2' of the PCV. Then put sand and rock around the pcv until it is filled up to the bottom of the pit,then cement the pit to seal it and have the pcv sticking up 1' in the pit so the heavies settle and water runs into pcv.

There will not be a lot of water going into this drain, just snow melt from vehicles and a occasional vehicle wash job. Any other ideas? What is the best way to clean cut a square in the cement?

svt514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
RAYJAY

Default Re: How to install floor drain in a existing concrete floor

it may not work the way you want it to when you wash or thaw out a car you get a lot of dirt from that that will go down the drain you will need a catch box to stop this, i know because i wash my car in my garage all winter, clean my boxes at least once a year,

little more work but ...

how level is the floor ???

you could cut a strip drain, in the lower point of your floor run it to a box to capture all of the dirt and junk

this is how mine is done

get the box located close to the side of the building and you can tunnel under the pad run your piping away from you building

this is the brand i have installed in mine home depot was caring it last time a looked

http://www.ndspro.com/

hope this helps

jeff
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."
RAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
deter

while you're at it, cut a trench toward one of the exterior walls so you can run pipe to actually drain the water out of the building. it won't be that much extra work once you're already cutting and removing slab.
deter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
svt514

The pit will be my "catch box". I am not going to tear up my slap to run a pipe outside. The only option for that would be to under bore a line into the pit,I am sure that will be a pretty penny to have done though.
svt514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
hockey88fan

My friend did it similar to the way you're describing and it's worked fine for him.
hockey88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Bradford

Hi all
According to your thread..... while you're at it, cut a trench toward one of the exterior walls so you can run pipe to actually drain the water out of the building.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Vegaman_Dan

What you are doing is creating a french drain. It can work, but also be easily saturated. I would also be concerned about putting water in under your slab. You may invite settling or voids as water further down starts affecting the soil.

I would be tempted to use a concrete sawto get the clean cuts you want, then go ahead and dig your pit as you wanted. Then from an outside wall, I'd dig similar and start boring a hole laterally under the foundation towards your pit using pvc pipe hooked up to a garden hose. It should bore the hole as you go and when it finally gets there, you have a nice pipe in place to let you drain the catch basin to a similar french drain out under the yard or a gravel driveway / parking area.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deter View Post
while you're at it, cut a trench toward one of the exterior walls so you can run pipe to actually drain the water out of the building. it won't be that much extra work once you're already cutting and removing slab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt514 View Post
The pit will be my "catch box". I am not going to tear up my slap to run a pipe outside. The only option for that would be to under bore a line into the pit,I am sure that will be a pretty penny to have done though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaman_Dan View Post
What you are doing is creating a french drain. It can work, but also be easily saturated. I would also be concerned about putting water in under your slab. You may invite settling or voids as water further down starts affecting the soil.

I would be tempted to use a concrete sawto get the clean cuts you want, then go ahead and dig your pit as you wanted. Then from an outside wall, I'd dig similar and start boring a hole laterally under the foundation towards your pit using pvc pipe hooked up to a garden hose. It should bore the hole as you go and when it finally gets there, you have a nice pipe in place to let you drain the catch basin to a similar french drain out under the yard or a gravel driveway / parking area.
Although you don't want to destroy your slab, you really don't want water settling in underneath the slab either as Vegaman states. Look at getting it cut and putting in a "trench drain". There are quite a few different styles out there. The first one shows a lip that the concrete holds it in. You could run this all of the way across, or run it from the middle to the outside wall. The grate comes off so you can clean it out. And if running quite a few feet of it, you can easily squeegee water into it from both sides. This will let you get the water out, and you won't be draining water to the underneath of your slab.

I don't know if some plumbing people would have one, but if you could find someone with the robotic bore machines like they use to go under driveways, roadways and such, and get in touch with one of them. Cut out your concrete and dig out an area large enough to put in either a poly 55 gallon drum, or put in a smaller sump pit, and have a sump pump to pump your water out of the drum or pit.

I'd lean more to the long trench drain though. It would probably be cheaper AND you can get your water out withoug draining under the slab.
Kevin54 is online now   Reply With Quote