Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Dragster Racer

Default T8 Vs T12

I was at Menards looking, and think I want to go with the 4 bulb fixture. If I understand correctly, the T8 is more efficient. What is the lums difference between the same T8 and T12 4 bulb fixture? Didn't seem to be as big of a difference in price of the fixtures as I expected. They even mentione T12HO's. I need an education.
Dragster Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Fast Orange

Default Re: T8 Vs T12

The biggest thing to keep in mind regarding the choice between T-8 and T-12 lamps is that the T-12s are being phased out of production within the next couple of years.The government's energy saving legislation will basically outlaw the production of T-12s after a certain date-(2010?).
IIRC,the lumens of the two types of lamps are pretty much equal for comparable length fixtures.For the most bang for the buck in flourescents,the current way to go is with
4' T-8s. If you have an open (unfinished)cieling or are hanging the fixtures down from the cieling,get industrial fixtures with reflectors.If you have a white finished cieling,use 2 lamp strip lights or even flange mounted troffer (recessed) fixtures.
There are several members here who have access to layout programs -maybe one of them can help you with placement of the fixtures. Be sure to go bright enough with the general lighting so you can work anywhere in the garage,then add additional lighting in close work areas on a separate switch.

George
Old 06-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Jay H 237

Is it just the fixtures being outlawed or are the replacement bulbs included too?

My basement and garage are all T12s.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
LoneGunman

T-12's should'nt even be considered. If it were me I'd install 3 lamp T-5 fixtures. I'm not sure of the availability of the T-5 fixtures to the general public, meaning big box stores. Ours are purchased from electrical or lighting supply houses. If your garage is cold you may have to go with HO's no matter what lamp type you go with. Below is a very basic rundown of the T-5's.

Weve been using high bay T-5's in place of HID (metal halide ETC)lighting, I never thought a fluorescent could take the place of an HID fixture but they have. Way less money to run and way less heat.

http://www.servicelighting.com/libra...5_lighting.cfm
LoneGunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Coach James

When I add new lights to my garage they will be t8. I think the light from t12's is lousy.

Coach
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
kbs2244

I never have paid any attention to those numbers.
I just bought 40 watt 4 foot bulbs.
Can I still do that?
I would guess that some of my fixtures are 30+ years old.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
mtwaterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Orange View Post
The biggest thing to keep in mind regarding the choice between T-8 and T-12 lamps is that the T-12s are being phased out of production within the next couple of years.The government's energy saving legislation will basically outlaw the production of T-12s after a certain date-(2010?).
IIRC,the lumens of the two types of lamps are pretty much equal for comparable length fixtures.For the most bang for the buck in flourescents,the current way to go is with
4' T-8s. If you have an open (unfinished)cieling or are hanging the fixtures down from the cieling,get industrial fixtures with reflectors.If you have a white finished cieling,use 2 lamp strip lights or even flange mounted troffer (recessed) fixtures.
There are several members here who have access to layout programs -maybe one of them can help you with placement of the fixtures. Be sure to go bright enough with the general lighting so you can work anywhere in the garage,then add additional lighting in close work areas on a separate switch.

George
Where do you get this info regarding a ban by 2010? Online I see that Australia is contemplating a ban but the only thing mentioning the US is a possible ban in San Francisco, but only for commercial applications.
mtwaterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Coach James

Incandescent bulbs will also be banned for sale in 2014.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=59298

Coach
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
Mr_fixit

I've changed out all my t-12 ballasts for t-8 ballasts in my garage.
More light, , use less electricity, all lights now start at zero degrees.
The only con is that the wiring is different, and you have to modify the wiring slightly to the bulb holders.

I'd never suggest anyone buy t-12 bulbs if they're buying a new fixture.
Buy t-8's if you're buying new.
Mr_fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
jay50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_fixit View Post
I've changed out all my t-12 ballasts for t-8 ballasts in my garage.
More light, , use less electricity, all lights now start at zero degrees.
The only con is that the wiring is different, and you have to modify the wiring slightly to the bulb holders.

I'd never suggest anyone buy t-12 bulbs if they're buying a new fixture.
Buy t-8's if you're buying new.
I've got 8 foot T12s in the shop; are T8s available in 8 footers?
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Dragster Racer

Wow. this has been very helpful, and decicive! its a 40 by 40 with 15 ft ceilings, and metal white finished interior. Heated always. This is great.
Dragster Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #12
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay50 View Post
I've got 8 foot T12s in the shop; are T8s available in 8 footers?
They make an 8 ft T8 fixture that uses four 4 ft bulbs. They are not quite end to end, rather they are angled, staggered and overlap slightly in the middle. 4 ft bulbs are much easier to work with and generally the most cost effective solution, with the widest variety of color rendition bulbs available.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post
They make an 8 ft T8 fixture that uses four 4 ft bulbs. They are not quite end to end, rather they are angled, staggered and overlap slightly in the middle.
I've installed many strips that utilize four 4' bulbs end-to-end, no stagger or offset. You can find these everywhere(HD, Lowes, electrical supply houses, etc). I can't say I've ever seen that angled configuration you speak of?

But I agree with Charles, 8' strips with T8 841 bulbs is what I'd use. When replacement time comes bulbs are only a couple bucks each and ballasts are 15-20 dollars or so. I think the fixtures only draw 1-1.5 amps apiece.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #14
tolken4

Any brand or model suggestions? Always wondered if this was a situation where the box store stuff was ok to use? Otherwise is that stuff cheap for a reason? Do you get anything by going to a specialty store? Or, is the box store stuff just fine for most applications?
tolken4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #15
6768rogues

Go with the T8s. At the school where I work, we replace 3 t12 fixtures with 2 t8s and have more light.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
tolken4

??? See post above. Brand or type suggestions?
tolken4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
gotta56forme

My dad just bought and installed eight of the two-bulb T8 hanging fixtures with the electronic ballasts, from Menards. I think he paid about $20 for each fixture (only). He loves them already, as each fixture replaced a single 100w incandescent bulb. The improvement in light was considerable.
gotta56forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #18
66 GMC Truckin

T-8 fixtures are awesome. Light output is amazing and no hum or flicker like the T12's can sometimes have. I just installed 22 of the 4 foot fixtures in my garage. I don't even have the walls sheeted yet and it is very bright in there with just the insulation showing. I bought cheap ones with cords and pullchains and then hardwired them and hardmounted them so that I can turn off individual 4 foot lights when I want to. I bought mine at Canadian Tire in Canada and they are made by Canarm. These will start in up to -25 C conditions without hum or flicker and will increase the light output as they warm up. Also T-8's have the electronic ballast with no release of PCB's or that tar smell like the T12's when they start to leak.

DSC_2764web.jpg
66 GMC Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #19
Palmetto

66GMC.

What color are those bulbs?
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
TopBanana

I started using T8 fixtures in my garage (installed 10) and Home Depot stopped carrying them. Anything else even close to the discontinued units in specs are 4 times the price! They replaced those T8 fixtures w/ a T12 unit that's the same price. I've been using the 6500K color T8 bulbs and they also have them for T12. I was going to finish the project with these T12 fixtures but now I'm leary. Problem is, anything else is going to increase the cost 4-5 times!!! Any thoughts?
24' workbench, 80 Gal 2-stage Compressor, 110V MIG Welder
Future: blast cabinet, 2 post lift, permanent heat

Toy Chest:
21 Model T 'Depot Hack'
65 Coronet 500 'vert
73 Dart Sport
00 Cherokee Sport
01 Dakota CC SLT 2WD
92 Honda Accord LX
06 Mazda 3 S
TopBanana is offline   Reply With Quote