Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Jay Sco

Default Another gray&black, AKA el cheapo refurb, AKA new paint, AKA standard SoCal 3car

So I finally have something to contribute other than a drawing and empty questions. The new (to us) house is finally good-enough for the wife to give me a few minutes here and there to work on the garage.....for more rapid processing of future in-home projects I'm sure.

First a little boring background, feel free to skip ahead to the pics....this is my 5th garage used, 3rd owned. The previous owned have been made workable but never got the full treatment. I now feel like this will be home base for quite some time so I felt its time so grow roots.

First some before pics, between the move and readying the house and prepping the garage it became pretty bad

The PO had video cameras, old cable, and multiple phone lines all ran crappy through the garage. Here's some of the cable that wasn't being used any more.

It also appears the PO had no stud finder, measuring tape, or common sense. I'd like to think they were just having fun with a machine gun and not really looking for studs.

I'm not trying to make it pretty, just better.

About the paint, it's gray and white, done a million times, classic, simple, and in my case nearly free. So it was an easy choice. Mid paint pic

Trim prepping

And finish

And with the new resident

Some things you may have noticed.....paint needs to be touched up. Floor needs some type of coverage, and I said 3 car garage but have only showed a 2 car area.
Some of you throw out OCD in some posts, I'll throw out ADD. So the paint is better than before, and I'll fix it later. Floor is workable till I get way more time or money. The other part of the garage is here

I have three kids with 4 bikes, all the lawn care equipment, and no shed. So 1/3rd of the garage will be an ongoing project for some time.
I do have a couple T8 fixtures and bulbs laying in the background waiting to be installed, should be up tomorrow.
Jay Sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
calereeves

Default Re: Another gray&black, AKA el cheapo refurb, AKA new paint, AKA standard SoCal 3car

Looks good dude!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
dubber

Default Re: Another gray&black, AKA el cheapo refurb, AKA new paint, AKA standard SoCal 3car

Paint definitely helped the space, this definitely has tremendous potential. Since you have such a big garage i'm sure there is somewhere to squeeze a shed in at some point to help with your clutter and really allow you to enjoy your space. I always have major 3 car garage envy. G/L

dubber's double

dubber's single

2004 .:R / 2014 JETTA TDI
dubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

You're making some progress, no shame in having a small garage, many of us had either a small garage or none at all at one point in time.

I like the black stripe.

BTW, whos is the model on the right poster ? It almost looks like an old poster of Carol Alt.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Jay Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
Paint definitely helped the space, this definitely has tremendous potential.
Thanks, I think it looks a world better than the yellowed flat paint it had. All my previous garages had posters lining the walls, literally covering any actual wall. Cool posters but had a cluttered appearance. Your right about having potential, I plan on taking advantage of it to the best of my abilities, and skinny wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post

BTW, whos is the model on the right poster ? It almost looks like an old poster of Carol Alt.

I have no idea who's on the poster, I'll check for you. It's a leftover from the PO. He left a bunch on the walls, including such classic posters as My Cousin Vinny, Vicente Fernandez, Batman, and No Farting. I just haven't got around to ripping those last couple down yet.

Last edited by Jay Sco; 02-21-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Jay Sco

Got the lights up. Still underlit, but like the paint it's 200x better than what I had (one 60w bulb). Luckily there was already outlets wired to the switch.

On a side note....good thing I mounted the lights, while on the ladder I noticed on of the bolts holding the door opener was backed out about 3/4 of the way.
And I don't think that's Carol Alt (had to look up pics of her), this girl has more of a Latin flavor, and has larger.....chest measurements.

Last edited by Jay Sco; 02-21-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
plugnpl4y

That paint made a huge difference. It's shaping up nicely!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
kyle@hcb

Those holes made me lol. Figured they would have given up after a few tries. The black/gray/white looks great.
kyle@hcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Jay Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugnpl4y View Post
That paint made a huge difference. It's shaping up nicely!
Thanks, paint is an easy simple way to make a HUGE improvement I've found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle@hcb View Post
Those holes made me lol. Figured they would have given up after a few tries. The black/gray/white looks great.
I would have laughed too, but it wasn't that one spot. It went on for about a 10' stretch, and in random spots on other walls as well. Idiots, really.

I took another pic, this one at night (note to self: put this in the night thread), these little T8's are pretty bright. I think two more of these units will be enough for my needs.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
kyle@hcb

Those T8's are bright! Is your bench modular? If so, curious why you configured the sections one in front of the other (as opposed to side by side)?
kyle@hcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
dubber

Very nice, the lights have made a big difference. I'm not sure what it is about light but the brighter the better for me and the brighter it is for a garage makes it more inviting, IMO.

The previous owner sounds like a delight. Based on those abundant holes, and him leaving the posters, i may be curious if he was covering something with those posters. Maybe another trigger happy experience he had haha.

dubber's double

dubber's single

Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Jay Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle@hcb View Post
Is your bench modular?
Yes it is. I chose to set them up this way because they are only 2' deep, fine for small crafts and such but not much else. I had them set up side by side at my last place, with a power strip in the back and some clutter to the side it didn't really leave me with any workable space. This way sticks out a little further, but I still have more than enough room to work on vehicles.

Quote:
I'm not sure what it is about light but the brighter the better for me and the brighter it is for a garage makes it more inviting, IMO.
It sure does. Makes the transformation from storage room/dungeon to cool hang out spot/workshop.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Jay Sco

So progress is at a stupid slow pace, I have neither the time nor the cash to make an instant bomb garage. But what I did have is too many bikes, a couple 2x4's, and some hooks. So I made a bike rack. The entire wall that the bikes are on will be painted black so no need to worry about scuff marks. Today I plan on making/mounting a stereo/receiver tray as well, maybe a couple shelves.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Jack 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post
Um... I think that's my wife???

Lol. Nice progress

Jack's Ford Mustang Garage
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=191771
Jack 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Jay Sco

A little more progress today. Got the entertainment system (TV and Stereo) hooked up. Finally some tunes!!!!

And my little shrine of cool nick-knacks.

This entire wall will be painted black, to blend everything and to somewhat camouflage the safe from street view.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
dubber

The world is yours!

dubber's double

dubber's single

Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
buiboy

The 3 car has huge potential. You've cleaned and brightened it up considerably. I absolutely love your comparison of OCD and ADD. I'm still laughing. I suffer a bit from the later. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
buiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Jay Sco

Quote:
The world is yours!
You got it. My old house had a master retreat that I made into my 'Scarface room'. Just trying to get a piece of that back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buiboy View Post
The 3 car has huge potential. You've cleaned and brightened it up considerably. I absolutely love your comparison of OCD and ADD. I'm still laughing. I suffer a bit from the later. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Thanks, I hear (and see) OCD thrown around here quite a bit. I sure don't have that, I should have called this the ADD garage. In fact one time in grade school I was having a conversation with a friend and ....... Oh look! A bird!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Jay Sco

Progress is still at a snails pace, but it's still moving forward. Mostly just cleaning and organizing going on, nothing pic worthy till today.
I wanted to get one of those racks to hang my shovel/hoe/rake/etc., those things are like $60-$100!!!!! So I grabbed a scrap piece of 1"x6" (about 3.5') and about a 5" piece of 2x4 and made my own. Holds 2 shovels, rake, hoe, and weed wacker. Going to use some random hooks for the leaf blower and hedge trimmer.

Painting should resume Friday, this is part of the black wall. More pics to come soon.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
SmokeyBC

That shovel looks interesting, where I come from, they only have the metal part one one end!
SmokeyBC is offline   Reply With Quote