Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
camaron32

Default Raised Bed Poll

This year I'm going to make a raised bed for my vegetable garden. I'm just curious to see what other people used, how they liked it and, if possible, about how much you spent on it. Thank you.
camaron32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
TN_GARAGE

Default Re: Raised Bed Poll

I now have 5 raised beds in my garden and like them (just built the 5th one last weekend)

I used non treated 2x8s for mine. I know they will rot over time, but a few years in to it and they are still hanging in there just fine.

I laid down newspaper and cardboard under my boxes, then filled with "good" growing mix (I used peat, perlite, compost, speedy dry stuff, etc.).

I'd go with the best growing medium you can find, but if cost is an issue (when is it not?) you can use what you got and spend the the next couple of years improving things (I pretty much built n filled one box each year because I didn't want to spend >$300 on my garden that first year).

Tip: Start composting now so you can have some compost next spring.

Last edited by TN_GARAGE; 03-24-2013 at 07:52 AM.
TN_GARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
fourjeepin

I have two. One is made of 2x8s - three high. The other is 2x12s -two high. Four by sixes in the corners. Only thing I bought was the soil - three cubic yards. The wood was from a deck like structure the previous owner pulled down and scattered across the back yard.
fourjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
metal1313

we have 8 4x4 beds in an herb garden, made from trex decking, then further back in the yard 5 4x8 beds made from non-treated 2x12's. the non treated seems to last as long or longer than the pt and you dont have to worry about chemicals leaching out
metal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
lotsoftools

I haven't built them yet, but am planning on using some cedar logs from the yard. They're plentiful, free and should last for a long time.
lotsoftools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
ForceFed70

Best is to use cedar.

I used treated landscaping ties with 6mil poly to keep the soil and ties from making contact with each othe (mostly because the chemicals used to treat the ties).

If planting perenials (strawberries, etc) use caution. Keep in mind that perenials in raised beds must be much hardier than perenials planted directly in the ground. The cold gets to them more in a raised bed. Of course, this really depends on what your winters are like.
ForceFed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
trbomax

Nancy has built 3 of them for strawberrys. She used 4" x 8' cedar posts (I have an unlimited supply of these),She spiked them together with 10" landscape spikes after pre drilling the holes.They are about 14" high with a cedar 6x6 in each inside corner,buried a couple feet deep. She lined the inside with leftover poly from the shop floor,pulling it over the tops and trimming it after we filled them. For growing medium I mixed 1 yd of clean yellow sand from our pit,with 2 yds of 1 yr old mule manure.I mixed and cut this up with the 6' tiller on the back of the New Holland,then filled the boxes.The boxes are placed under the drip line of the mule barn on the south east side.They never need watering even during long periods of no rain since the dew drips into them every day. I dont know what kind of ever bearing strawberry plants she used but they have been there for going on 4 years now and we get more all summer than we can eat. I'd post some pics but right now they are under about 7' of snow!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
yucholian

I put one in last year, ten of 4x10, by 16" high.
Used pressure treated lumber. After a lot of research, no danger of chemicals especially with modern day treating. Love it.

yucholian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
theoldwizard1

Not for me.

My garden is pretty small (12x20, actually less because of an angle) and I like using is for composting grass clipping and leaves. The experts will tell you that grass clipping will "steal" from your veggies as they decompose, but it has never been a problem.

Here is my favorite gardening tip for a weedless garden. Collect old newspaper. Stay away from the shiny ink/paper. For seedling, unfold the paper completely and take 4 double sheets and stack them together. Make a tear in the middle about half way through and then slip that around the seedling. Use some grass clippings to prevent the paper from blowing away. This usually takes 2 weeks to get enough newspaper and clipping to do 24 tomato plants.

Rows of seed (bush beans) are a bit trickier. Wait until the seed are up at least 2". Lay the newspaper as close as possible to the sprouts and add grass clippings.

By the end of the summer, I usually have several inches of grass clippings in various stage of decay layered on the garden and almost no weeds ! Depending on the weather and my mood I may rototill the garden in fall or not. I always put all of my leaves in there. It usually take 2 or 3 good passes of the entire garden to get the grass and leaves mixed in at least a month before plating.

Last edited by theoldwizard1; 03-24-2013 at 08:06 PM.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
TerryH

We used some left over redwood 2x6's for part of our beds and doug fir 2x12's. The redwood ones have been there for 15 years. Some of the redwood ones are looking a little worse for the wear and will need to be replaced in the next couple of years. The doug fir boxes typically last for 7 or 8 years.

TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
David W

I used old rail road ties. It's zero dark thirty at the moment but I'll try to post pics if anyone cares.
David W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
usmc_noma

I used old 4x4 pt wood from a deck I redid. I'd like to trash it and make it bigger using cedar at some point. Right now it's only 4x7 in size. I'd like to have one closer to 10x10 or a few smaller ones. If you look at some of the big box stores, they sell a kit for a raised bed in a 4'x4' size IIRC for around $50. I also thought about using composite decking that's been clearanced out or leftovers from someone's project, but I'm not sure how cost effective that would be. There are a few ideas out there but be careful on the pt stuff or treated rail ties.
usmc_noma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
77thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
I used old rail road ties.....
I would be worried about creosote leaching into the soil.
77thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
spy604

I used a bunch of old concrete block that way laying around. Made 3 beds 4'x10'. There are a lot of great books out there dedicated to raised bed gardening. I recommend this one:
http://amzn.com/0881508969
spy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
SMKS

I've had gardens for the last couple years. Our new house doesn't have a great space for gardening, so I got a plot in a community garden this year.

The only bit of info I can give is to make sure you use 2" thick wood boards, not 1".

I decided to frame in the pile of soil to make a proper raised bed, but I made the mistake of using 1" thick boards, and it's pretty flimsy. Luckily in my case, there were already sturdy steel stakes in place that I used to hold the board in place, so it's flimsiness doesn't matter.

I also chose non-treated. I know it will rot sometime, but I think it will still take a while. I think I've read threads where people claim some pressure treating isn't toxic, but I'd rather not take a chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden plot.jpg (147.6 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by stephen9666; 03-25-2013 at 09:42 AM.
SMKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
dsimatt

Eventually i'm gonna have to do this because my yard is mainly sandy so not very good. I don't have nearly the yard so of you have but want to be able to grow some stuff as my GF loves gardening.
dsimatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
Modifieddriver

We made five beds several years ago. I framed 4'x4' bed boxes with treated 2x12's and used those metal framing brackets in the corners that are in every HD lumber section. I used screws, no nails. Then fully lined the inside with landscape fabric.

Then each bed box received:

3 bags top soil
3 bags compost
3 bags soil conditioner

All well mixed together.

Can't wait for the first crop of tomatoes !!!!!

Last edited by Modifieddriver; 03-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Modifieddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
Randy in Maine

I will be using a marine spar varnish (2 coats) over my ACQ treated southern yellow pine 2" x 12"s as I build 4 raised beds for my wife this spring.

I will be using stainless brackets/fasteners as the new ACQ pressure treated wood does not play well with the cheaper galvanized fasteners.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
Kevin54

Check this out for some great ideas. My wife is leaning towards us doing that to her garden this summer.

http://www.houzz.com/raised-garden-beds
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
dsimatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
Check this out for some great ideas. My wife is leaning towards us doing that to her garden this summer.

http://www.houzz.com/raised-garden-beds
There's some great ideas and designs in there, thou a lot more expensive than I wanna go.

Minus fences what are you guys doing to keep out animals from your gardens, rabbits are a issue here.
dsimatt is offline   Reply With Quote