Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
OldCarGuy

Default Two-post lift compilation and comparison…

Below is a compiled spreadsheet of the specifications for three 10,000 pound capacity two-post lifts. All three are ALI/ETL Certified. In alphabetical order: BendPak, Ben Pearson, and Mohawk… I own the BendPak and Mohawk, while the Ben Pearson is at a friends work that I had the chance to view and run it through its’ paces.

One of my two-post lifts is a BendPak XPR-10ACX that I posted its’ installation here.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18309 Although I haven’t used it near as much as my other lifts, so far I’m impressed with most everything about it. Overall it an outstanding value and BendPak should be number one on anyone’s list to consider when evaluating a lift purchase. It may be a few bucks more expensive than any of the re-badged Chinese lifts, it is far less than any other ALI/ETL Certified lift. And although there may be some question of the origin of all its‘ components, it is ALI/ETL Certified.

The XPR-10ACX is a true asymmetric lift. It has two different arm lengths so that a vehicle can be safely lifted more forward of the centerline approximately with the windshield lined up with the columns. The columns are also mounted at an angle. That provide for greater clearance to open the front car doors to facilitate better access to the car’s interior. This combination was engineered for and works great on front wheel cars. However it has no problem lifting my 7,000 Avalanche 2500, as you can see from the photographs.

All the welds on the BendPak Lift look very professional. And all the bolt holes lined up very well in assembling the lift. Another nice feature is the single lock release lever. It’s a well engineered lift that is top quality manufactured. And the icing on the cake is the remarkable powder coated paint job it comes with. What better way of presenting a fine piece of equipment than the paint job.

The only problem that I encountered is in locking the arms. The following sequence seems to be the best way to see that the swing arms are locked correctly. When the lift is several inches off the floor and not yet picking up the car. You need to jiggle the arms into their lock position. Then commence lifting the vehicle.

__________________________________________________ _____________

The Ben Pearson that I evaluated is at a friends commercial garage. It’s about three years old and has received far more use already than any lift purchase for home use. Ben Pearson has been producing lifts for over 30 years. The lift that I evaluated was manufactured in the United States and is ALI/ETL Certified. However it’s no longer available. Several years ago all their lifts with the Ben Pearson name were certified and made in the USA. To the best of my knowledge only six models are made in the United States. Of which only two are Certified, their Model 10,000SI and 12,000SI.

This Ben Pearson lift is an asymmetrical design with long and short lifting arms. However the columns are not tilted to get maximum door openings. It is similary engineered with the same quality as the BendPak. The only negative feature is the time it takes to lift a vehicle. Almost twice as long as either my BendPak or my Mohawk. Even though it has the same Baldor 2.5 HP motor as the Mohawk and the BendPak has only a 2 HP Emerson. Evidently is has been this slow since new. I do believe that there’s a restriction in the Ben Pearson’s pump or it is defective since new.

Ben Pearson lifting Cadillac Escalade

Ben Pearson Base Plate

Ben Pearson arm locking mechanism.

__________________________________________________ ____________

The Mohawk is a lift in a class by itself. And one cannot truly compare it to many lifts manufactured today. Here’s a link to the installing my Mohawk. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...2&postcount=28

We’re not talking apples and oranges comparing the other two lifts to the Mohawk. To begin with the Mohawk weighs in at twice that of any of the other two. And it’s very noticeable when you see one. The floor plate and columns are massive compared to the others. Each carriage is guided by Eight roller bearings in solid ¾” thick steel channels, similar to a lift truck’s mast. The others use plastic slides riding in 1/8” formed steel. The lift cylinders have 4” diameter pistons with 2 ¾” piston rods (the others use 2 1/ 2” diameter pistons) and are guaranteed for Life. Plus you don’t need to worry about choosing an asymmetrical or symmetrical model and about the doors hitting the columns. The Mohawk’s recommended columns spacing is 10’ apart and eliminates that issue.

The Mohawk has some unique design features that made it well worth it for my particular application. The columns are only 8 ½’ tall and don’t limit me in placement under my bridge crane runway beams. Along with not having an overhead cables or a floor plate. Rather two 3/8” diameter seamless stainless steel hydraulic lines that can be routed in the cement floor or overhead. If you look at the pictures, you can see them run at an angle across the ceiling and through one of the fluorescent fixtures. The Mohawk is definitely an overkill in design, particularly for home use.

Mohawk’s massive carriage lift cylinders and chains:

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex

Last edited by OldCarGuy; 06-26-2008 at 07:46 PM.
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran
Default Re: Two-post lift compilation and comparison…

I'm so jealous of you.

I want a TI Bradbury lift, they're made in England and they're top-quality.
Moose-LandTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Nice... too bad I'll never get to play with toys like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
No worries, you are not rowing that boat alone!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Phatsub

^^ +1
Phatsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
I don’t believe that the supplement price of a lift is that far out of reach of the average backyard mechanic slash car enthusiast. In fact I’d see it as a good investment. Amortizing the original investment of say $3,000.00 over 10 years would be $25.00 per month, hardly beer money. At the end of ten, twenty, or thirty years it could be turned into cash and recoup the original investment. I sold a ten-year-old Stinger four-post lift for more than what I paid for it! What else can you purchase that could achieve that? Then think of the safety factor of using a lift. Let alone all the time and energy you’d put aside.

In talking with the sales manager from Mohawk to get some up to date information on their lifts for this compilation. He was amazed how many Mohawk lifts were sold to the home hobbyists this past year. Few if any were sold in the past. He felt that the internet was responsibility for the increase. And a Mohawk is more than twice the price of most lifts.

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex

Last edited by OldCarGuy; 06-27-2008 at 09:41 AM.
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
Phatsub

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarGuy View Post
I don’t believe that the supplement price of a lift is that far out of reach of the average backyard mechanic slash car enthusiast. In fact I’d see it as a good investment. Amortizing the original investment of say $3,000.00 over 10 years would be $25.00 per month, hardly beer money. At the end of ten, twenty, or thirty years it could be turned into cash and recoup the original investment. I sold a ten-year-old Stinger four-post lift for more than what I paid for it! What else can you purchase that could achieve that? Then think of the safety factor of using a lift. Let alone all the time and energy you’d put aside.

In talking with the sales manager from Mohawk to get some up to date information on their lifts for this compilation. He was amazed how many Mohawk lifts were sold to the home hobbyists this past year. Few if any were sold in the past. He felt that the internet was responsibility for the increase. And a Mohawk is more than twice the price of most lifts.
For me it's not so much the cost rather than the size of my garage. And I'm in a tract home were building a bigger garage is not an option, so I'm afraid I'll have to be content with watching from the outside.
Phatsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Joe B.

Thumbs up Re: Two-post lift compilation and comparison…

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarGuy View Post
He was amazed how many Mohawk lifts were sold to the home hobbyists this past year. Few if any were sold in the past. He felt that the internet was responsibility for the increase.
I bet he is right about the internwebs. Back in 2004 I bought a house with a huge garage. At the time it was clear that this kind of product was not being marketed to homeowner and it was hard to find info on the different types of lifts. I would tell friends that I wanted a lift for the garage and they would look at me like I was crazy. Now there is a lot more info on the web and you can find places like this where is it 'normal' to want a lift in the garage. Back then I even had trouble finding information on garage floor paint.

If I had kept that house, I would probably be buying a lift about now. Sadly my wife wanted to live closer to her family so I have a much nicer house but a much smaller (and lower) garage.

Oh, the first post in this thread is great info. I wish my garage was not so short.
Joe B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
Russell

For those of us with the low-ceiling standard 2 car garages let's do a BendPak P6 group-buy!

OCG, thanks for the comparison!
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 AM   #10
sajohnson

Great job OCG, thank you!

I'm leaning more toward getting the Bendpak XP(R)-10ACX now.

[R in () because BendPak only lists XP on their site. Can anyone shed light on this?]
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
rodm1

How are you guys with out a crane or fork lift taking delivery of these? I would love to get one but don't have a way to unload of a truck or trailer.
rodm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
sajohnson

Good question.

I don't have a crane or fork lift either. My plan is to have the lift delivered to a freight terminal and then pick it up and unpack it at my place. Put it in the garage one piece at a a time I guess.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
sajohnson

OCG:

I believe you clarified this in another thread, but I noticed that in your original post (#1) in this thread you say:

"It may be a few bucks more expensive than any of the re-badged Chinese lifts, it is far less than any other ALI/ETL Certified lift. And although there may be some question of the origin of all its‘ components, it is ALI/ETL Certified."

IIRC, you recently said that the _XP_ series lifts were certified but the newer XPR series that is made in China is still going through the certification process.

Do I have that right?

I was just about to pull the trigger on the XPR-10ACX but I definitely do not want to buy a non-certified lift.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
jcs_in_ky

Picking up at the terminal is a good idea but make sure that the terminal near you has a ramp so they can bring it out of the terminal and place it on your trailer. If they don't have that and your trailer is lower than the dock then it's hard to get it on the trailer without them damaging it.
Another way I've heard of people taking delivery is to get a roll back tow truck to meet you when the delivery truck arrives. Make sure the tow truck is close to the same bed height as the truck delivering. They can winch the lift onto their bed, then lower their bed down and get one end of the lift on the ground then slowly pull forward to let it off the bed onto the ground. Of course if you decide to try that make sure you check with the towing company first to see if they'd try it. I've never done it that way and I think I'd be a little afraid to with the two post especially because the package isn't very wide and is really top heavy.
If you don't have a way to lift it off of your trailer some of the individual pieces are still pretty heavy so you will need a few people and or maybe an engine hoist to help you unload it. If you've got some furniture dollies and can set the pieces on there that will help you move them around once you get them on your driveway or in the garage.
jcs_in_ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
sajohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs_in_ky View Post
Picking up at the terminal is a good idea but make sure that the terminal near you has a ramp so they can bring it out of the terminal and place it on your trailer. If they don't have that and your trailer is lower than the dock then it's hard to get it on the trailer without them damaging it.
Another way I've heard of people taking delivery is to get a roll back tow truck to meet you when the delivery truck arrives. Make sure the tow truck is close to the same bed height as the truck delivering. They can winch the lift onto their bed, then lower their bed down and get one end of the lift on the ground then slowly pull forward to let it off the bed onto the ground. Of course if you decide to try that make sure you check with the towing company first to see if they'd try it. I've never done it that way and I think I'd be a little afraid to with the two post especially because the package isn't very wide and is really top heavy.
If you don't have a way to lift it off of your trailer some of the individual pieces are still pretty heavy so you will need a few people and or maybe an engine hoist to help you unload it. If you've got some furniture dollies and can set the pieces on there that will help you move them around once you get them on your driveway or in the garage.
Thanks jcs, that's good advice.

I wonder if I could get a delivery company that has a truck with a crane -- like they do for stone and brick and roofing materials.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #16
jcs_in_ky

You can find info about the XPR series here: http://www.bendpak.com/products/auto...post-lifts.php

The XP series has been discountinued, the XPR series is their new line of two post lifts.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
jcs_in_ky

Bendpak will probably ship to you using either Yellow Freight or Conway. Other companies will ship with them or another shipping company. All of those freight companies use enclosed box trailers so it would be hard to use a crane to unload them. Bendpak does ship some stuff on flatbeds but I don't think they normally will ship the smaller two posts that way. You might talk to them about it though. If it comes that way you'd still have to have a crane or forklift to unload it for you. I had some stuff shipped to me on a flatbed once and the truck was too big to come to my home so I made arrangements with a local business to transfer the load from the big rig to my trailer. They charged me a small fee to use their forklift to take the parts off of their trailer and set them on mine.

If you have a terminal near you that's probably the easiest way to take delivery. Do you have a small trailer for them to put it on?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
SteveU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodm1 View Post
How are you guys with out a crane or fork lift taking delivery of these? I would love to get one but don't have a way to unload of a truck or trailer.
I paid 300.00 for delivery/installation of my 2 post lift which was money well spent in my opinion. They delivered it on a 2 axle trailer which had a rotating lift arm in the center. Backed the trailer into the barn unstrapped it, lifted it up & rotated it into place then made fine adjustments by hand. The husband/wife team that did mine was here about 4 hrs not counting the 1.5 hr drive each way. So even if I had a trailer & could have done everything myself as fast as they did (they had been doing this for 27 yrs) it would have took me between 7-8 hrs total. I could not have bought/rented everything necessary to do this for the amount they charged not to mention the aggravation I saved by not doing something & having it not turn out right. Kind of like that quote from Clint Eastwood "A man's got to know his limitations".
SteveU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #19
sajohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs_in_ky View Post
Bendpak will probably ship to you using either Yellow Freight or Conway. Other companies will ship with them or another shipping company. All of those freight companies use enclosed box trailers so it would be hard to use a crane to unload them. Bendpak does ship some stuff on flatbeds but I don't think they normally will ship the smaller two posts that way. You might talk to them about it though. If it comes that way you'd still have to have a crane or forklift to unload it for you. I had some stuff shipped to me on a flatbed once and the truck was too big to come to my home so I made arrangements with a local business to transfer the load from the big rig to my trailer. They charged me a small fee to use their forklift to take the parts off of their trailer and set them on mine.

If you have a terminal near you that's probably the easiest way to take delivery. Do you have a small trailer for them to put it on?
Unfortunately no, I don't have a trailer.

I'm not really sure how I would go about getting the lift to my house. I suppose I could pay someone to deliver it on a roll back (as suggested above) or rent a truck.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #20
sajohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveU View Post
I paid 300.00 for delivery/installation of my 2 post lift which was money well spent in my opinion. They delivered it on a 2 axle trailer which had a rotating lift arm in the center. Backed the trailer into the barn unstrapped it, lifted it up & rotated it into place then made fine adjustments by hand. The husband/wife team that did mine was here about 4 hrs not counting the 1.5 hr drive each way. So even if I had a trailer & could have done everything myself as fast as they did (they had been doing this for 27 yrs) it would have took me between 7-8 hrs total. I could not have bought/rented everything necessary to do this for the amount they charged not to mention the aggravation I saved by not doing something & having it not turn out right. Kind of like that quote from Clint Eastwood "A man's got to know his limitations".
Good point. If I could find someone to deliver the lift and install it for $300 I would probably go for it.

Or, if I could just get someone to deliver it I could set it up myself.

I like to do as much as I can on my own but I pride myself on knowing 'when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em'.

I'll have to see how it pans out.