Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
billymade

Default vintage Proto/Vogel "double duty" ratchet!

Hey, guys.... found a interesting ratchet at the pawn shop today for $4.50 that I thought would be of interest. It is a "Double Duty" 1/2" x 3/8" ratchet "Made in USA by Proto for Vogel Tool Co. Double Duty" . I found a patent for this oddity and looks to be of 50s vintage: http://www.google.com/patents?id=ynhpAAAAEBAJ

This ratchet body looks like a typical Proto pear head ratchet, what this this thing sticking out the wrong side? LOL!

Anyone know anything about the VOGEL TOOL CO.?

Oops! I put the spring in backwards (small part facing away from the body right?, I fixed it! Unfortunately, some of the teeth broke off of the drive (they fell out when I cleaned the head; I doubt they have replacement parts for this puppy!
The head design is classic Proto and the only difference I can see is the addition of the extra drive.

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 06-27-2008 at 05:11 PM.
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
64merc

Default Re: vintage Proto/Vogel "double duty" ratchet!

Wow, I really didn't know that they made those back then. I've seen newer versions being sold but they are usually the cheaper imported ones. I'm always amused when I see an old version of something that is being marketed by someone else as being a newer innovation.
64merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
cruiser808

Outstanding find, Billymade! I bought one of those ratchets on Ebay a couple of years ago. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it was a whole lot more than $4.50. Ya did good my friend.
cruiser808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
64merc

If the main gear is broken, maybe you can get a rebuild kit and convert it to one drive size only. You may not want to do this, but I'm curious to see if it would fit perfectly.
64merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
billymade

I was thinking the same thing; everything looks so typical Proto inside I would be surprised if they went through the trouble of changing all the tooling. I suspect it would convert to a "normal" ratchet easily! Anyone see any differences in the the machining of the head? I don't have another one to compare it to but looks similar to other Proto pics I have seen. Believe it or not it ratchet pretty well, it just "skips" a little bit when it comes to the broken teeth but I am just turning by hand not using it under load at this point.

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
cruiser808

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
I was thinking the same thing; everything looks so typical Proto inside I would be surprised if they went through the trouble of changing all the tooling. I suspect it would convert to a "normal" ratchet easily! Anyone see any differences in the the machining of the head? I don't have another one to compare it to but looks similar to other Proto pics I have seen. Believe it or not it ratchet pretty well, it just "skips" a little bit when it comes to the broken teeth but I am just turning by hand not using it under load at this point.
The internals, including a "normal" gear from a Proto 5249 3/8" ratchet will fit perfectly. Basically, you'll have a 3/8" long ratchet if you decide to convert it.
cruiser808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
DaytonFan

Wow awesome find,
DaytonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
relic7680

I'm reviving this thread. Just picked up a Double Duty today for FREE....but unfortunately the gear is missing two teeth and the others are worn. I see that the Urrea repair kit is somewhat different and relatively expensive. I may try to get the Proto parts to make a conventional ratchet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proto Double Duty 001.jpg (96.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Proto Double Duty 002.jpg (106.0 KB, 27 views)
WANTED: Fleet #1216 1/2" socket to complete my 3/8" drive set
relic7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
bigcaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic7680 View Post
I'm reviving this thread. Just picked up a Double Duty today for FREE....but unfortunately the gear is missing two teeth and the others are worn. I see that the Urrea repair kit is somewhat different and relatively expensive. I may try to get the Proto parts to make a conventional ratchet....
Its too bad that the rebuild kits are not readily available because i would like to convert a few of my Proto ratchets to that style. I happen to know an older gentleman that has a huge assortment of tools that he's selling, and there are at least 12 Vogel "Double Duty" ratchet rebuild kits, NIB, for Proto pear head ratchets in the lot. I tried to sever them from the pile of tools but he wants to sell the whole thing and won't make any exceptions

If you are really feeling desperate, hes only asking 5000.00 for the whole lot
bigcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
relic7680

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaddy View Post
Its too bad that the rebuild kits are not readily available because i would like to convert a few of my Proto ratchets to that style. I happen to know an older gentleman that has a huge assortment of tools that he's selling, and there are at least 12 Vogel "Double Duty" ratchet rebuild kits, NIB, for Proto pear head ratchets in the lot. I tried to sever them from the pile of tools but he wants to sell the whole thing and won't make any exceptions

If you are really feeling desperate, hes only asking 5000.00 for the whole lot
Shoot....that's a bummer. Let us know if he changes his mind.
WANTED: Fleet #1216 1/2" socket to complete my 3/8" drive set
relic7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
WWIIjeep

Proto also made a double-sided ratchet with the same size on both sides.

This one is 3/8", '60s-vintage, and says "Proto" only. No Vogel.

WWIIjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
zkling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIjeep View Post
Proto also made a double-sided ratchet with the same size on both sides.
What would the advantage be to a double sided, same drive size ratchet, that also has a reverse lever?
zkling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
woody 73

Back in the day you had a boat load of space to work on your engine, so you put on two different 3/8 drive sockets and you could keep working under the car without having to stop every few minutes to change a socket.

Of course today with space so tight it would be next to impossible to use that design in todays cars.
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Outlawmws

being able to have two different size sockets on one ratchet.

For the chipped out teeth, I'd have a really good TIG welder build up the teeth area and carefully file back into shape. The odds of finding a rebuild is pretty much slim and none (unless you have 5K available for that guy reported above..)

I have one of the 3/8 X 1/2 Vogal Proto, ratchets. One of my favorite as it was based on the longer than std 3/8 drive handle, but is lighter than the similar 1/2 drive ratchet. I'd buy another in a heartbeat...

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
zkling

Cool, thanks for the info woody and Outlaw.
zkling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
hasekmpp

I bought one of those ratchets on Ebay a couple of years ago.
hasekmpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
bonneyman

I snagged one of these some years ago for a couple of bucks, but sold it. I didn't really need it (though it was cool!), and didn't know you could slap a straight 3/8" kit into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1035.JPG (74.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1048.jpg (58.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1050.jpg (68.4 KB, 4 views)
bonneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
bigcaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic7680 View Post
Shoot....that's a bummer. Let us know if he changes his mind.
Its a really tempting pile of tools that he has for sale but even if you parted it out, you would never be able to reach 5000.00

The tools came from a independent tool dealer that worked until the 1960s and all of the tools are NOS. I was really hoping for a truckload of new Plomb but i didn't see a single piece in the entire lot.

It was mostly SK, Mac, Bonney, Vlchek, Williams and a few other obscure names. All are in excellent shape but what the heck am i going to do with 23 Bonney DOE wrenches? The assortment is huge but he's yet to come down on the price. I think he paid quite a bit for them and wants to get his money back. Hopefully he will get past that and start naming a more realistic price.
bigcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote