Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
330Scott

Default Simpe Green as a parts washer solvent warning

Just thought that I would let you guys know that Simple Green freezes. I bought a 5 gallon jug of concentrated Pro Series Auto Cleaner/Degreaser for my parts washer and thought I would contact the company before I diluted it to their recommended 4:1 ratio. I am concerned because my parts washer is in my shop, which I keep unheated unless I am in it and we do get sub-zero temperatures around here.

Here is their reply:

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry. Simple Green Pro Series Automotive Cleaner concentrate and a 1:4 dilution will freeze just like water will. With both of them, you can thaw out the product, shake or mix the container to make sure all components are well-mixed again, and use the product without any loss in efficacy. Multiple freeze-thaw cycles will start to diminish cleaning ability (more than 2 times), so it is best if you can at least keep the concentrate in an area where it will not freeze. Some people put isopropyl alcohol into the cleaner to keep it from freezing, but please be aware that you will destroy the environmental and safety aspects of the product if you do this, and so we don't recommend it.
So I guess that I will continue to use mineral spirits through the winter.
330Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
REFLEXX

I also heard that simple green will corrode aluminium, if left on for extended periods of time.

Supposedly Boeing told thier manufacturing plans to stop using simple green on airframes.

not 100% sure, more like 43.7%

REFLEXX
REFLEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
tbarber

Default Re: Simpe Green as a parts washer solvent warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEXX View Post
I also heard that simple green will corrode aluminium, if left on for extended periods of time.
Supposedly Boeing told thier manufacturing plans to stop using simple green on airframes.
not 100% sure, more like 43.7%
REFLEXX
----------------------------------
This is 100% CORRECT !!!
WARNING: Simple Green, Super Clean, Purple Power, and similar cleaners all are DESTRUCTIVE to aluminum! I had to learn this the hard way. I am swiching to mineral spirits. MUCH safer for non-ferous metals and more effective.
tbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
FunfDreisig

Doesn't anyone use Varsol anymore?

Funf Dreisig
FunfDreisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
M3Pilot

Have had no luck finding Varso. When I asked the local bulk distributor for some,they sold me mineral spirits. I don't think there's really much difference.
M3Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
billspit

Varsol is considered white spirits, so its close to mineral spirits.

Varsol is a trade name (I think). I used to get it from an oil distributor. You take by a one gallon jug and he would fill it up. That was years ago though. I have no idea why he would have been selling it in bulk. Some dry cleaners now use varsol instead of the evil perc.
billspit is online now   Reply With Quote