Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #41
AZ Pete

Default Re: Irked @ Friends" borrowing the dumbest things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66dave View Post
I completely agree with you! Last year I got so pissed about the same lady asking to use my 12' a-frame ladder, so I decided to sell it in a yard sale. She came by and I kindly pointed out. Then get this she says "why would I buy anything like that when I just borrow it all the time", lets just say she nor will any member of her family borrow anything again. So pissed!
I had a boss like that. He never bought anything, always borrowed it...even from the company. A nice guy, but so cheap it was unbelievable.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #42
gatewaysysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
I had a boss like that. He never bought anything, always borrowed it...even from the company. A nice guy, but so cheap it was unbelievable.
Can do you one better on the boss stories. I had a woman that was so lazy she wouldn't even re-stock from the supply cabinet 30 ft. away. Instead, when she lost a pen (daily) in a conference room or something, she'd just lift one from the nearest employee of hers (or their cube) at the time. I actually caught her going through my drawers looking for a pen once. Never brought them back, because she invariable lost those too. Mine were rather expensive and high quality, so they got locked up right quick.

She is but one of the many examples of why I never, ever loan out tools.
I know we're not saints or virgins or lunatics; we know all the lust and lavatory jokes, and most of the dirty people. We can catch buses and count our change and cross the roads and talk real sentences. But our innocence goes awfully deep, and our discreditable secret is that we don't know anything at all, and our horrid inner secret is that we don't care that we don't. -Dylan Thomas
gatewaysysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #43
KERTWOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTGTS350 View Post
I have no one who I call friend and like the X files I trust no none, enter my property and you risk leaving in a bag, I borrow from no one and lend to no one.
Just skimmed over this thread and I couldn't agree more.. It's sad to say but that's how it goes these days!
KERTWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #44
jnw010

I remember a mate asking to borrow a bit of plastic off a big roll I had to cover up something he had to store. Fair enough, I lent him the roll and you can guess the rest. He triple wrapped his stuff using way way more than he needed which was a piss take in itself, and then a few months later when he got the stuff out of storage he took the perfectly good plastic (it was nice thick stuff) and put it out for the bins. When I saw it out, I was genuinely furious. All he had to do was fold it up and it was good to use again. Wasn't cheap stuff, but then hey, not as if he paid for it.
Since then I've been a bit more reluctant with my generosity.
jnw010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
gatewaysysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnw010 View Post
...All he had to do was fold it up and it was good to use again. Wasn't cheap stuff, but then hey, not as if he paid for it.
Since then I've been a bit more reluctant with my generosity.
Hit the nail on the head. People rarely take good care of something they got for free, much less something they see no value in owning for themselves.
I know we're not saints or virgins or lunatics; we know all the lust and lavatory jokes, and most of the dirty people. We can catch buses and count our change and cross the roads and talk real sentences. But our innocence goes awfully deep, and our discreditable secret is that we don't know anything at all, and our horrid inner secret is that we don't care that we don't. -Dylan Thomas
gatewaysysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #46
Leevon

I hate to loan or borrow tools just for the simple fact that if it breaks...things can get weird. On the rare occasion that I do borrow, I do what my Dad taught me, return it in better shape! Borrow the lawn mower, then wash it and sharpen the blade, etc.

I had a neighbor, genuine guy and he was the same way. We started one-upping each other.
Leevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #47
Garage Dog

Years ago, I had a friend borrow a 9" Milwaukee grinder for a project he was working on over the winter. I know this guy really well and few months later I asked for it back; he said that I was confused and that he was 100% certain he had returned it. We both looked in our shops again, no luck... Had someone else borrowed it, could I have misplaced it? I was at a loss, so after a month of not being able to find it, I went out and bought another one for $200+.

You can guess what happened can't you? A year and a half later he shows up one day and says; your never going to guess what I found in my shop today - your grinder!

The same guy managed to bend the T-handle for my 3/4" socket set. I was able to pretty much straighten it in my press, but really?

These are a couple of the experiences that always makes me hesitant to lend tools or equipment even to people I trust.
Garage Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #48
Albiemanmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevon View Post
I hate to loan or borrow tools just for the simple fact that if it breaks...things can get weird. On the rare occasion that I do borrow, I do what my Dad taught me, return it in better shape! Borrow the lawn mower, then wash it and sharpen the blade, etc.

I had a neighbor, genuine guy and he was the same way. We started one-upping each other.
I almost never need to borrow anything because i have invested a lot of money over the years in my current tools so I have pretty much everything i need when i need it. But i needed to split some firewood last year. I had previously split it using an awesome Fiskars splitting axe that I bought. The thing is amazing and makes splitting wood by hand almost fun. But this time around i had a lot of wood to split and it was green. So I asked my buddie if i could borrow his splitter as i had come up empty trying to find a cheap one on CL. It took a lot to even ask him but as I expected he didn't even blink and said sure. So I used it without issue and when I was done I completely washed and cleaned it. Then i changed the spark plug and did an oil change with Mobil 1 synthetic. Brought it back to him better than I had received it and had no worries.
Albiemanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #49
Norcal

I used to have a half ton truck parked at a friends place, his uncle decided to "borrow" the battery putting a hole in the case in the process then putting some RTV silicone to patch it, to put it kindly I was rather irked.
Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #50
Outlander

My sister-in-law (wife's sister) wants to "borrow" our cottage for a week in August for a vacation! Geeze, I wish I could have a free vacation where someone else pays the mortgage.

Maybe I am being petty....who knows.....
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #51
X1 Mike

One of the all time funniest threads ever. Awful worked up about a rake.

SERENITY NOW!!!!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...45960087,d.eWU
Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #52
914wilhelm

All kind of reminds me about uncle Milt:

"There are four ways in which you can spend money," Milton Friedman said. "You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then, you really watch out what you're doing, and you try to get the most for your money.

"Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I'm not so careful about the content of the present, but I'm very careful about the cost."

"Then," he continued, "I can spend somebody else's money on myself. And if I spend somebody else's money on myself, then I'm sure going to have a good lunch! Finally, I can spend somebody else's money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else's money on somebody else, I'm not concerned about how much it is, and I'm not concerned about what I get. And that's government. And that's close to 40 percent of our national income."
914wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #53
JimVonBaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914wilhelm View Post
All kind of reminds me about uncle Milt:

"There are four ways in which you can spend money," Milton Friedman said. "You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then, you really watch out what you're doing, and you try to get the most for your money.

"Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I'm not so careful about the content of the present, but I'm very careful about the cost."

"Then," he continued, "I can spend somebody else's money on myself. And if I spend somebody else's money on myself, then I'm sure going to have a good lunch! Finally, I can spend somebody else's money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else's money on somebody else, I'm not concerned about how much it is, and I'm not concerned about what I get. And that's government. And that's close to 40 percent of our national income."

Funny! True for many! In my department, we pinch pennies while watching others burn dollars!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #54
Playwme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
My sister-in-law (wife's sister) wants to "borrow" our cottage for a week in August for a vacation! Geeze, I wish I could have a free vacation where someone else pays the mortgage.

Maybe I am being petty....who knows.....
Are you going to be using it that week? If not, then I'd say you were being petty. Unless of course she's a habitual sponge who always takes, takes ,takes. If she's decent then they'll buy you a case of beer or chuck in $100 for power/water for the week. I wouldn't think about charging immediate family for something that's not being used anyway though.

I lend stuff out all the time. Worst story I've had was when my truck came back from a mate, I didn't use it for a couple of days and next trip I did the brake pedal went right to the floor. He must have reversed over something cause a rear line was damaged. I pulled another off my spare parts truck and to be honest didnt even mention it to him. I'd gotten plenty of favours from him over the years. I had stored (and had full use of) his motorbike for about a year, his wife had hooked me up with some (good) cars that her work just wanted rid of no cost, I could always rely on him to help out when I needed a spare pair of hands.
Karma runs in a big circle. Be a bit choosy but don't be a complete Scrooge.
Playwme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #55
Automatic Slim

My portable air compressor suddenly has a sliced hose, and despite him mentioning the need to air up tires on his dolly, he just borrows mine....... hmmm....... he did not come clean about the compressor hose, but it was like someone took a knife to it or ran over it with the mower.

Bucket on wheelbarrow ripped free from the bolt, I don't recall the moment that it happened in my care......... hmmmmmm...

Update: New deadbolt, cable secured lawn equpiment w/ masterlock implemented.

For all those concerned: The garden rake made it back alive.

Simply put: This "friend" doesn't take care of things like his own. Takes my gas, weedeater line, and equipment and never comes back in good status. All of his sh*t is broke down............ uhmmmmmmmm.... there ya' go, says alot.

Got to figure he likes to borrow my stuff, becomes I am a maintenance freak and keep everything running.
Automatic Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #56
red-ryder

my son-in-law was in the borrow then 'break/ mutilate' OR never return mode, did not take me long to loan and remind him of my tools in his possesion SOON afterward!
now-a-days i 'gift' him tools, normally from garage/estate sales. figger once he has his own tools the 'do you have a ______ i can borrow?', requests will end......
he is known for breaking the handles of shovels and rakes, and has recently taken to buying metal and fiberglas 'handled' tools.
i loaned my 2 inch ball mount, forgot who i loaned/'gifted-it-to', last time i loaned my trailer tow attachments out!

my personal philosophy---------borrow 'IT' once, need 'IT' a second time---it is time to buy 'IT'! NEVER LOAN A TOOTHBRUSH!

Last edited by red-ryder; 05-06-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
red-ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #57
pappy59

I have similar the same problem, except the neighbor just happens to come in and just happens to start using things w/o even asking first, has gone so far as to move the things off the saw horses that I happen to be using, and puts his things down and goes to work, looks like some adjustments are in line!
pappy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #58
Polski-Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t7gto View Post
I let my neighbor use my lift to work on his car. The car was there for a few days. I went to the garage fridge to get a beer and they were all gone. He drank them.
During this same time, I came home in the afternoon and he had his car outside my garage. It was all masked off and he was spray painting the roof on his car. My garage doors were open and my two 67 GTO's were right inside the door. I went ballistic on him.
Told to get the eff out and don't come back.
I hope he is banned for life!

That completely sounds like something my adult teen I'm raising would do, he lives right down the street, and I cringe when he asks for something, the problem is he's my Father-in-law
Polski-Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #59
Tarheelgarage

You guys who have neighbors that just walk into your shop and take tools without asking; what the hell kind of neighborhood/place you livin' in, some damn hippy commune?????
Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #60
JimVonBaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelgarage View Post
You guys who have neighbors that just walk into your shop and take tools without asking; what the hell kind of neighborhood/place you livin' in, some damn hippy commune?????
I was wondering the same thing. I am happy to loan a tool or two to friends, but I know of no one that would just walk in my garage and take a tool without asking, even if they could.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote