Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
beartoothweb

Default Picture Request - OSB Interior Walls

I've been reading that some folks use OSB on the interior walls instead of drywall. I'm building a 36x28 "shop". I don't need it to look like a car museum, but I want it to look nice and finished.

What are the advantages of the osb?

Pics please, thanks!
beartoothweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Kevin54

Default Re: Picture Request - OSB Interior Walls

Quote:
You can hang anything anywhere. My house garage had OSB. I painted it white but still did not really care for the looks of it so I drywalled over the top of that. Made it real nice hanging the drywall. You could run a screw anywhere and not worry about missing the stud. And with 7/16 OSB and 1/2" drywall on top, it really made the garage quiet when the doors are shut. I favor drywall I guess because it is smoother, easier to paint, and generally looks more like a room than a garage. Just a little more finished I guess.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
car99r

Send a message via Yahoo to car99r

Here is a couple pictures of mine.

Note, it takes a lot of paint to cover OSB but if you check with your paint suppliers locally you can normally get miss-tints on the cheap. I bouught 20 gallons of grey for $100.00. I sprayed the walls using a pro sprayer on high and used roughly 17 gallons to get the look I wanted. I did not take the time to fill seams with any type of caulk or filler so they are very visible. I have a friend who did and you can barely tell where the seams are after paint.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
bluesman2a

Quote:
Originally Posted by car99r View Post
I did not take the time to fill seams with any type of caulk or filler so they are very visible. I have a friend who did and you can barely tell where the seams are after paint.
I'll agree here... I *DID* caulk mine and would highly recommend doing it. Think of it as taping/mudding drywall, it'll hide all the inconsistencies in your seams and make them disappear.

Here's a couple of mine:

caulking:

On mine it took about 12 gallons of Kilz2 primer (3 bays -- 25X25 and 18X25X16 + ceiling) then about 7 gallons of white and 2 of grey. I used exterior latex in semi-gloss to have something more wipable.

other pics:
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/bluesman2a/
bluesman2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
lucasdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartoothweb View Post
I've been reading that some folks use OSB on the interior walls instead of drywall. I'm building a 36x28 "shop". I don't need it to look like a car museum, but I want it to look nice and finished.

Pics please, thanks!
When I bought my house the walls in my garage were already covered in OSB. If they would have been unfinished, I would have finished them in OSB. I plan on finishing the corner where the water heater, electrical panels, water softener, and filter are located. When I do this I'll be using OSB for the wall covering too. My parent's garage is finished and OSB too; we've never really regretted having it for our walls. It's not quite as pretty as fully finished drywall, but we're talking about a garage here.

Lucas

Onto the pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lucasdotcom/OSBWalls
lucasdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
chad pickens

I really like my osb walls and I used high gloss paint

chad pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
kbsouers

I used 3/4 osb toung & groove.2 good coat kills2 and a good coat of bear exterior laytex semi gloss Irish mist. I liked useing a roller I feel it filled the textured surface well.DSC01712.JPG

DSC01711.JPG

DSC01713.JPG

DSC01715.JPG
I am presantly installing my 200 amp electric service. I hung the meter and main panel today. I hope this helps with your choosing. Oh yea

I used osb because it was 14$ per sheet half the $ of ply.
kbsouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:48 AM   #8
Dale

I had to pickup some conduit clamps at Lowe's, I walked through the lumber aisles and something caught my eye. There was a stack of 7/16 OSB with a camouflage overlay on one side. Maybe it would work to hide new tools from the wife.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
MyDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Maybe it would work to hide new tools from the wife.
If only...
Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Another trick is to use block filler primer over OSB - that helps to mask some of the "texture" of the OSB.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
indyjps

Ive used OSB on several garages, I prefer it for the impact resistance opposed to drywall, Im pretty hard on my garages. Oil based paint seem to cover better and seal it up vs latex. ive also used a flat latex paint mixed with drywall mud, 1 gallon paint, 1 gallon of mud mixed down with water to slightly thicker than paint consistency to seal and smooth the OSB then cover with semi gloss latex.
I typically dont fill the screws and joints but you can for aesthetics.
The ability to pull a few sheets off and has come in handy when changing the wiring for shop layout when new tools are purchased, I ended up moving my compressor and saw and added a 220 outlet for a welder and was able to just remove the sheeting and run the wiring.

You could do an OSB bottom half with a drywall top half, its pretty simple to tape the OSB/drywall joint, or just do a cheap chairrail molding. Door casing makes a suitable chair rail.
This eliminates the gouges you get when moving toolboxes and equiment around
indyjps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
akdiesel
Alliance Member

The walls look clean and even. And I like the idea of being able to remove the panels for future wireing/plumbing needs. Nice jobs.
But I have a concern on using OSB for interior purposes in garages.
Isn't it code to have to use 5/8 sheet rock for fire protection in the garages or where it contacts the house wall?
Also the seams that are not filled allow for heat loss and wind penitration.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
JohnK007

Before:

After:

Couldn't believe the difference in brightness! I didn't chaulk the seams. Probably shoulda. Also remember, pegboard is your friend.
JohnK007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
JohnK007

All right, let's try that again!!

Before:

[IMG][/IMG]

After:

[IMG][/IMG]

Before:

[IMG][/IMG]

After:

[IMG][/IMG]

The white-painted OSB really brightened the place. If you use pegboard spend the couple of $ more and get the stuff already painted. One less thing you need to do.
JohnK007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
krymis

sorry for bringing this back from the dead. but what caulking did you guys use for the seams in the osb? And would you stay w 7/16 or go down to 1/4? I ask as the local lumber yard has 1/4 for 6.17 a sheet. may be worth buying double of it instead of the 7/16.
krymis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
Dawgfan

I bought a whole stack, 66 sheets of 7/16" a couple of weeks ago at HD. It was $5.06 per sheet. I got $ .30 per sheet off for buying a whole stack. I've only put up about 20 sheets so far. I'm using 1 1/2" deck screws. Drill pilot holes first.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #17
IDASHO

Pilot holes??? Waste of time IMO.

I use sheetrock screws and a sheetrock gun to install my OSB walls.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 AM   #18
TheShrine

I wrapped the outside and inside with OSB. I covered the outer OSB with HardiPlank, but left the inside bare (I did put Thompsons wood sealant on it though.). I put it on my walls and ceiling. Since there was a lot of OSB I decided to install a wainscot of Galvalume on the lower 3' to break up all the wood. The room that will contain my lift is 37 X 18 and 23 feet high and was kind of over whelming at first so I put in the wainscot and trimmed all joints and corners with cedar. Additionally, I put the Galvalume on the ceiling in the shop area. It helped break up all of the OSB.

TheShrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #19
E46M3

Here's my OSB.
Will eventually get painted.

Cheers,
E46M3

M3: Kirk Racing 4 point competition cage, Safecraft 2.5lb Halon 1211 fire bottle, Borla cat back exhaust, Shark Injector 93/8000, AFE Magnum cold air intake, Schroth Ralle 4 Pro HANS harnesses, stainless braided brake lines, ATE Super Blue brake fluid, Cobalt Friction brake pads XR1 front Spec VR rear, Totyo R888 18/265, TC Design foldable tow hooks, Rouge Engineering transmission mounts...and lots of other stuff my wife doesn't care about.
My
Garage Build Thread: The "M" House.

E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #20
toadjammer

Here is a picture of my home shop as others have said it really makes hanging everything off of the walls easier. In the pic you can see shelves, conduit, hangers,cabinets and air lines are all secured to the OSB. I was originally planning on putting the fiberglass smooth wall paneling on top of the osb but started filling it before I had a chance.
toadjammer is offline   Reply With Quote