Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
CodeRedZ

Default Installing Surface Mount Post Anchors Into Driveway

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to build a gate to go across my driveway. I picked up two surface bolt 4x4 post holders. Pictured below.

My plan is to drill down and put some all thread down in each hole and use some epoxy that is used for concrete and then bolt the mounts down.

Question is how long should my all treads be? The posts will be about 5-6 feet tall, so I can level it up with my existing fencing

1968 Pontiac GTO
2004 Chevy Colorado ZQ8 Crewcab
2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD

My Garage Build
CodeRedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
JakeKohl

Default Re: Installing Surface Mount Post Anchors Into Driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRedZ View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to build a gate to go across my driveway. I picked up two surface bolt 4x4 post holders. Pictured below.

My plan is to drill down and put some all thread down in each hole and use some epoxy that is used for concrete and then bolt the mounts down.

Question is how long should my all treads be? The posts will be about 5-6 feet tall, so I can level it up with my existing fencing

Why not just use a concrete anchor like these?

If these posts/anchors are going to hold up a hinged gate, I might be concerned that the 4x4 and that mount may not handle the gate loads very well.

My Garage Journal Build Thread

"People complain about it being too expensive. People complain about it being too small. Nobody complains about it being too big."
JakeKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
larry_g

They make a stud for this purpose and it is located near the bracket you show and the epoxy that is used for it. They are galvanized and ~5" long. I will second the concern Jake has in the bracket/post failing if you have a large swinging gate hung on the post. If the end of the gate is supported with a wheel or the gate is a sliding gate then not so much worry.

lg
no enat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
readhead

That will not hold up for a gate. Cut a hole in the concrete and dig a hole for the post and concrete the post in.
readhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
CodeRedZ

Does it make a difference that the gate door will be about 4 feet wide?

I'm also using 2 adjust a gate setups like in the below picture

1968 Pontiac GTO

My Garage Build
Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
readhead

It doesn't matter how you build the gate. You will have all the weight hanging from a moment arm installed in a very short socket. After the post shrinks nothing will be tight. The post needs to be in the ground to overcome the leverage applied by the gate. The posts you show in the picture are anchored several ways plus at the top.
Very nice gates in the picture by the way.

Last edited by readhead; 05-02-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
CodeRedZ

Thanks for the info guys, was hoping to get away from having to cut up my drive way and then having to come back and fill them.

1968 Pontiac GTO

My Garage Build
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
larry_g

IF you build the gate frame you show in your example then you have a good chance of succeeding if you have the top brace across the post and all three posts showing have base brackets as shown in your first post (support in X). The fence at 90* to the gate supports the one side when the gate is open (Y) but the other side is lacking the support when the gate is open. The posts need bracing in both X and Y directions if they are not buried in the ground.

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
geotek

how thick is your concrete? If you've got a 4" slab, bolting into the concrete might not work well. If you've got a thicker section then it's do able. They make bolts and epoxy for that reason: Dewydag. But damage to the concrete is possible if the slab is too thin. I agree that shrinkage may be a problem but I dissagree that It has to be embeded.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
CodeRedZ

I'll post a pic of the drive way later. the one post I can connect to an existing pos for support, but the other will be right up beside my house which is brick.

1968 Pontiac GTO

My Garage Build
Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
iamironman

That bracket for sure wont hold up to almost any gate.

To set a post rent a stand up style core drill and get a bit with enough clearance (~2" on each side should be plenty) around the post to leave room to fill and tamp the post in place in concrete, (Quicrete RED bag works good for posts)

After you punch through the concrete with the core drill use a post hole digger to get the rest of the way BELOW the frost line. I like a minimum of 18" or more for a small gate, large ones 3' min. regardless of frost line if it's less.

Set your post, plumb, it fill the hole with concrete to the bottom of the driveway pour, then use a non shrink grout (hydraulic cement) like Rockite, Emacogrip, or Sonopost to come up to flush with the surface.

No muss no fuss. Pretty driveway when you're done.

-Brian-

www.appironworks.com

Last edited by iamironman; 05-02-2013 at 02:45 PM.
iamironman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
JakeKohl

anchoring into 4" of concrete works for free standing 2 post automotive lifts...the concrete will not be the weak link.

Another option is to have a 4x4 (or similar) post fabricated out of mild steel with a bottom plate welded on with the 4 hole pattern. If you anchor this to the concrete (a reasonable distance from the edge of the concrete to the first anchor....say 8 to 12"), it should support the gate well. You can paint the steel brown to match the stain.

"People complain about it being too expensive. People complain about it being too small. Nobody complains about it being too big."
Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
readhead

Jake has a viable option but the base plate would have to be fairly large, say 8x8x1/2 for a 4" post to overcome the moment.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
jhelrey

Can you use a steel post instead? Whenever we installed gates for driveways, etc. It was always steel.
jhelrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
IHI
Banned

We had one job that required installing a privacey fence with gates at a daycare to close in the kiddie pool as per state regulation. I called a local fab company and had them built custom posts that they welded to a 6x6 steel plate and it had 4- 3/8" holes drilled in them.

This job used vinyl fence panels for everything so when I speced them out I took a peice of the vinyl post sleeve cover so they could get/use a piece of steel tubing as close to the ID of the post sleeve as possible.

Anyhow, used 3/8"x6" redhead anchors to anchor each post to the concrete. (posts were all primed and painted with epoxy prior installation) and used SS washers under the post plate base to level then up. Slid the post sleeves oer them, and marked/drilled SS screws through the brackets that hold the fence panels in place. Took alot of tinker time to put it all in place, but the state actually took pictures of what we did and now uses it in their pamplets they hand out to daycare providers as to what they are looking for when a daycare decided to incorporate a pool.

Problem with hanging a gate in a situation like above, even using a steel post, depending on size of gate and finish material, there will be alot of weight, most of it pulling on the top half of the post...which will make it naturally want to sag. This is why gate posts are always done a little deeper hole wise, and typically larger material when compared to line posts that see nothing but shear load persay.

You can try to do the steel post redhead bolted to the driveway and hiding it with a finished material, or a easy solution would be rent a core drill and drill a hole through the driveway and down to footing depth, and put a standard wood post in, that way it will be ridgid enough it will support the weight of the gate/s.
IHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Tim The Tool Man

I simply cut a hole in my driveway and sunk a post down 3' and filled it up with cement level to my driveway surface. Looks fine and will easily take the weight of the swinging gate.
Tim The Tool Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
JakeKohl

It's hard to beat steel when building gates. I went to great lengths to prevent the need for preventative maintenance...worked so far. The galvanizing cost me $275 but it is quite nice to look at that two years later and it looks nearly as good as the day I put it in.

DSC_2371 by Team Seacats, on Flickr

finally! Galvanized! by Team Seacats, on Flickr

DSC_2435 by Team Seacats, on Flickr

DSC_2440 by Team Seacats, on Flickr

DSC_2434 by Team Seacats, on Flickr

installing the gates by Team Seacats, on Flickr

DSC_2464 by Team Seacats, on Flickr

DSC_2579 by Team Seacats, on Flickr

DSC_2468 by Team Seacats, on Flickr

DSC_2616 by Team Seacats, on Flickr

Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
Zick

Very nice Jake!
Zick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
whatuusay1

very nice indeed!
whatuusay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
AndyA

+1 on steel post with concrete anchors. "Veneer" the steel post with some wood if you want that look. You might also be able to cover the base plate and the ends of the concrete anchor with the wood for a totally clean look. Weld your hinge mounts to the post with some "stand off" to account for the thickness of the wood veneer.
AndyA is offline   Reply With Quote