Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
laser3kw

Default Conclusion:why is it so hard to hire someone

OK SERVICE IS INSTALLED AND INSPECTOR SIGNED OFF THIS MORNING! HOO=RAH!
Took 4 months to find someone to run service 75 feet total.
Comm Ed confirmed I have 200 amp to my house panel and a great contractor (found him through the building contractor) came over Monday and looked at the job, showed up Wednesday and ran the service. County inspector came over, commented on what a good job this contractor ALWAYS does, spent 5 minutes looking at the site and signed the ticket - done deal!
Price was no surprise. I have never bitched about paying a reasonable amount for a reasonable job. This contractor did everything I expected him to, as I have learned on this site.

In my other post about the lack of response of contractors, many of us shared the same experiences. I guess it's a part of the "experience" of pursuing our dream for a "place of our own". Good or bad we learn from it. I am more likely to take a shot at the rest of the project now that the main structure is up. The interior wiring - no problem - I have ran outlets and lights before. With the knowledge here, if I have any questions, I am sure I will get good guidance.

Last edited by laser3kw; 05-03-2013 at 09:04 PM.
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Kevin C

Default Re: Conclusion:why is it so hard to hire someone

Great to hear! It's always nice when you feel like you got what you wanted and what you paid for.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
ducksface
Alliance Member

I had a nice surprise this week. After no one returning my calls and the locals telling me what pig-dickers the local contractors were; I ran into a man in a cafe and he recommended his old boss, took one of our social cards, and actually followed through with a call. I told him we were at the other house and not back until the middle of the month. Recommeneded guy took my addres and today in the mail I received a quarterly newsletter he puts out and a nice note. I'll pay double if his work is anything like his opening volley.

Also;
Our plumber is coming up to the summer house to spend a weekend of feeding him and babying him while he puts in all new sinks and faucets and valves. A 180 mile house-call.

I'm glad you got handled. I hope mine goes as well as yours.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
GrabberOrange69

Congrats!
GrabberOrange69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
rodm1

I don't now if they will give referrals but you have something there that I've never thought of. "County inspector came over, commented on what a good job this contractor ALWAYS does".

Glad it worked out for you. You should keep your new contractor busy unless you really won't to do the work.

Last edited by rodm1; 05-08-2013 at 04:40 AM.
rodm1 is offline   Reply With Quote