Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
cobrabob

Default Car placement on a lift

I must be the only one doubting myself since I could not find any posts on car placement on a 2 post lift. I think this would be for symmetrical and versymmetrical lifts (I have a Challenger versym. ). When lifting a wider vehicle or something with a short wheel base, the front arms are too long to reach the pick up points when centered between the posts. If I move the car rearward on the lift and place the front arms toward the rear of the car( but on the front lift points) I can reach all lift points. Where do you place the vehicle on a symmetrical lift (in relation to the posts) and reach the proper lift points? I was always under the impression that the vehicle should be centered between the posts with the front arms angled toward the front and rear arms toward the rear of the car unless it is a asymmetrical lift. I could not find any information on this subject anywhere. Even the ALI website was of no help. It seems there should be better explanation on this subject or I'm just missing something?

Last edited by cobrabob; 07-18-2008 at 09:11 PM.
cobrabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
SteveU

Default Re: Car placement on a lift

My corolla wagon is about even with the driver to get where I need it to be. The part of the arms that slide out are only extended maybe 8" or so. This is on a symmetric System 1 Mohawk. Placement relative to the posts will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on where it's center of gravity is located. According to the book I have FWD center of gravity is just forward of the driver seat & RWD is even with the driver seat on most cars. I would go with the recommended pick up points even if it means moving it forward or back otherwise the vehicle may be unbalanced and overload one set of arms.
SteveU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
jezlberry

The rule of thumb is that the center of gravity on front wheel drive cars is the dashboard since the entire drivetrain resides in front of the windshield. Rear wheel drive cars, the center of gravity is where the drivers butt sits in the seat. Of course common sense applies on trucks, vans and SUVs, depending on what is in the back.

When I install and train on a lift, the one thing I always tell you is to do a Bumper Test as soon as the wheels have left the ground. Stop the lift , walk around front and shake the car. If it is stable one foot off the ground, it will be stable all the way up in the air.

Also, your lift came with the "Lifting It Right" book. If you look through it, what I just described is illustrated in there!

HTH
Brian
jezlberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
SteveU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezlberry View Post

When I install and train on a lift, the one thing I always tell you is to do a Bumper Test as soon as the wheels have left the ground. Stop the lift , walk around front and shake the car. If it is stable one foot off the ground, it will be stable all the way up in the air.

Also, your lift came with the "Lifting It Right" book. If you look through it, what I just described is illustrated in there!

HTH
Brian

Thanks Brian, didn't catch that the first time looking thru the book but will start doing that from now on.
SteveU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Vicegrip

+1 on the bumper test. Get the wheels off, check the pickup points to see that they are still in place and then shake the car. You can feel and see if it is front or frear heavy by the way it moves.
Vicegrip is offline   Reply With Quote