Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
OldCarGuy

Default Motoring Mascots... Hood Ornaments.

The hood ordainment concept dates back to the late 1800's, when owning a horseless carriage was rare. They started out as external radiator caps with a thermometer mounted into it. Before then the driver had no idea when and overheated engine existed. They were called Motormeters and soon displayed wings and figurines. Becoming known as radiator mascots, they continued to grace the radiator cap even when temperature gages were placed on the dash sometime in the 1920's. And when the auto manufactures opted to place the radiator cap under the hood in the late 1930's, the mascot became purely ornamental and even more ornate. As manufacturers and individuals turned to artists to create exquisite mascots, mostly beautiful and always distinctive. The most exquisite were manufactured between World War One and World War Two.

I have taken the time to post pictures some of my Hood Ornaments that I have collected over the years. Some came as factory options and others are aftermarket. These first ones are standard factory options. And I will post the name of the cars that they were offered on.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Number 5

Number 6

Number 7

Number 8

Number 9

Number 10

Number 11

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
CycloneISU

Default Re: Motoring Mascots... Hood Ornaments.

1# Ford
2# Mercury
3# Diana
4#
5# Pearce Arrow
6# Packard
7# Packard. Out of curiosity is the mouth painted?
Extra credit what is the name of this bird?
8# Lincoln
9# Pontiac
10# 1933 Cadillac
11#

How did I do?

Last edited by CycloneISU; 07-18-2008 at 01:52 PM.
CycloneISU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneISU View Post
1# Ford
2# Mercury
3# Diana
4#
5# Pearce Arrow
6# Packard
7# Packard. Out of curiosity is the mouth painted?
Extra credit what is the name of this bird?
8# Lincoln
9# Pontiac
10# 1933 Cadillac
11#

How did I do?
Pretty darn good!

1# Chevy Incorrect!

2# Mercury
Incorrect! Never appeared on a Mercury; but the mascot's nicknamed was Mercury Man.

3# Diana
Correct! Diana was the Roman Mythology Goddess of the Moon. That graced the hood of the Diana that was manufactured in St. Louis Missouri by the Diana Motor Car Company from 1925 to 1928. And was a subsidiary of the Moon Motor Car Company.

4#

5# Pearce Arrow Correct! The Archer appeared on one of the most recognized and respected names in Automobiles. This one was used from 1929 and 1930. Piece Arrow was located in Buffalo New York and manufactured cars and trucks from 1903 till 1941.

6#

7# Packard
. Correct! Many different Mascots were factory options on Packards. The Pelican, also know as the Cormorant, evolved over the years. This particular style was used from 1938 to 1940. Packards were exceptionally well engineered and manufactured cars that were made from 1899 till 1958.

8# Lincoln
Correct! The famous greyhound could be found on Lincolns from 1927 till 1933. Lincoln was started by Henry Leland, one of the founders of Cadillac in 1917. After getting into financial problems in 1922, Ford Motor Company purchased them and are still made today.

9# Pontiac Correct! Their were different versions of the Indian Heads that appeared on Pontiacs over the years. General Motors first introduced the Pontiac as a companion marque to their Oakland Motor Car line in 1926, and is still in production today.

10# 1933 Cadillac
Correct! Well almost. This particular Goddess appeared on Cadillacs from 1930 to 1932. the 1933 had shorter hair flowing off her head in the breeze. The first Cadillac rolled off the assembly line in 1902 and was actually a remnant of Henry Ford. And was purchased by General Motors in 1909 and are till made today.

11#

Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
CycloneISU

Darn this one is going to keep me up tonight.

Did you know that the original cormorant had the inside of its mouth painted? This is one of the ways you can tell the difference between a replication and the real deal.

Last edited by CycloneISU; 07-18-2008 at 03:39 PM.
CycloneISU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Mr. Welsh

Nice collection. I'm assuming you've already considered ordering one of these:
Mr. Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Welsh View Post
Nice collection. I'm assuming you've already considered ordering one of these:
I don’t have a Bentley yet. Nor do I have the Rolls-Royce Spirit of Ecstacy. Although most of my collection are authentic, some are nicely done reproductions. And all but one of my Mascots are from American made cars. That one is the last one pictured in this thread and is from a car made in England.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
icnsltmfg

This is mine....not original to the truck, but it is made by Lejeune in the UK..it is an English Springer Spaniel with a Pheasant in it's mouth....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 345.jpg (27.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2105h.JPG (32.6 KB, 21 views)

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10914 My Garage Build
2 car 20' X 22' x 11'3" Garage
Pro Park 9 9,000 lb 4 Post Lift
Direct Lift Pro Jack 4500
2 Liftmaster 3800 JackShaft Lifters
11 Lithonia T8 Wrapped Basket 2 bulb 4 footers
T8 Bulbs by Ushio-Color Temp 5000K CRI 86
Lista Stainless Workbench Top
Armstrong VCT Tile Floor
Custom Cabinets by DeWils
Dayton G74 220V 17K BTU Heater
icnsltmfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarGuy View Post
I don’t have a Bentley yet. Nor do I have the Rolls-Royce Spirit of Ecstacy. Although most of my collection are authentic, some are nicely done reproductions. And all but one of my Mascots are from American made cars. That one is the last one pictured in this thread and is from a car made in England.

I used to have a Spirit of Ecstacy hood ornament from a 80s vintage RR. I got it from my father in law back when he owned his 87 Silver Spur. But, my youngest brother decided taht he liked it more than I did and I ended up giving it to him....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.

No1, Quail - A Model Fords & No8, Greyhound 33 /34 Fords in Australia.

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 AM   #10
Wiggawam

Number 1 & 10 are just gorgeous, great collection!
Wiggawam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
OldCarGuy

1# Correct The Quail was found on Model A Fords for the years 1928 to 1931. The Greyhound Mascot that I posted is from a Lincoln. However from that the greyhound became the universally excepted at Ford, even though they were independently manufactured as an after market item. Until later years

2# Different forms of the Mercury Man could be found on 1929 to 1932 Buicks. This one came from 1931 and 1932

4# The “Dusenbird” sometimes called the "Flash" was found on 1931 to 1937 model J and SJ's Duesenbergs. The Duesenburg brothers started hand built cars starting in 1913 and made some of the finest and fasted cars of their time. “It's a Duesy” phrase came from the car winning so many races. E.L. Cord took over the line in 1926 and it really flourished, to the rich and famous. A top of the line Duesenberg cost about $25,000.00. While a ford may have been $400.00.

1935 Duesenberg Dual Cowl Phaeton model SJ.

The Duesenberg straight engine was one of the most beautiful engines ever built. It was a dual overhead cam straight eight engine. When supercharged it produced 400 HP. And would reach 104 MPH in second gear and top speed of 140 MPH.

6# Packard offered a number of Mascots to meet the owner's taste. Adonis was one that was offered in 1930 and 1931

11# The “Midge” was found on the British MG. This one was from the year 1935

Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
boiler7904

OldCarGuy,

Have you been to the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan? Among the cars is a collection of several hundred hood ornaments.

They are also having a special Muscle Car Exhibit through the end of October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #13
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler7904 View Post
OldCarGuy,

Have you been to the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan? Among the cars is a collection of several hundred hood ornaments.

They are also having a special Muscle Car Exhibit through the end of October.
Yes I have been to the Gilmore Museum at Hickory Corners. This picture of my 1930 Packard Dual Cowl Phaeton was taken there outside one of their barns a few years back. It was in part of a Classic Car Club Grand Experience Concours. Besides having a great collection of cars from every era, they have an outstanding collection of hood ornaments that was donated a few years back...

Old 07-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #14
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Yes I have been to the Gilmore Museum at Hickory Corners. This picture of my 1930 Packard Dual Cowl Phaeton was taken there outside one of their barns a few years back. It was in part of a Classic Car Club Grand Experience Concours. Besides having a great collection of cars from every era, they have an outstanding collection of hood ornaments that was donated a few years back...

Man I love that Packard, I would give my eye teeth for just one ride! That one is while they were still 100% quality too.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
4# The “Dusenbird” sometimes called the "Flash" was found on 1931 to 1937 model J and SJ's Duesenbergs. The Duesenburg brothers started hand built cars starting in 1913 and made some of the finest and fasted cars of their time. “It's a Duesy” phrase came from the car winning so many races. E.L. Cord took over the line in 1926 and it really flourished, to the rich and famous. A top of the line Duesenberg cost about $25,000.00. While a ford may have been $400.00.

1935 Duesenberg Dual Cowl Phaeton model SJ.

The Duesenberg straight engine was one of the most beautiful engines ever built. It was a dual overhead cam straight eight engine. When supercharged it produced 400 HP. And would reach 104 MPH in second gear and top speed of 140 MPH.

My 4th grade teacher was a daughter or perhaps granddaughter of one of the Duesenbergs. She was my teacher around 1970 and at the time was still single and going by Duesenberg.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #16
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholmberg View Post
Man I love that Packard, I would give my eye teeth for just one ride! That one is while they were still 100% quality too.
Every time I take one of my antique cars for a drive, I feel the same excitement. As if it were the very first time. And I take every chance to ride in or drive someone else’s antique car. By far the best view of an antique car is from behind the steering wheel. I travel at least 2,000 miles a year in my 1914 Cadillac and enjoy every turn and bump in the road. When I’m in the middle of nowhere, all alone on some deserted gravel back road. I put myself back in time imagining just how traveling was around our vast country some 90 years ago.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholmberg View Post
My 4th grade teacher was a daughter or perhaps granddaughter of one of the Duesenbergs. She was my teacher around 1970 and at the time was still single and going by Duesenberg.
Your teacher would be very interesting to talk with. And no doubt a great source to learn about the men behind the Duesenberg.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #18
Firetrucks

OCG
Nice collection!
IN 2006/2007 I stored and got to drive a Dusenberg J model right hand drive with a Barker (?) body and a 1936 Pierce Arrow Town Car (owned by the Marshalls in Chicago) with a V-12. I had them both nearly a year, it was a great summer for car shows and tours.

Below is a picture of the Motometer from my 1920 Stutz fire truck.

PS;Do you know John Gambs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stutzmoto.jpg (77.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #19
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Your teacher would be very interesting to talk with. And no doubt a great source to learn about the men behind the Duesenberg.
I agree, it's just to bad I was only a 4th grader at the time. My dad has always been an old car buff and he explained the significance of what the early Duesenbergs were to me and showed me a few pictures so I could get an idea. The lesson was not lost on me. As for Donna Duesenberg I have no idea what became of her, but she was one of my best elementary teachers.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #20
bannedleader
Banned

Nice collection, Where`s your L.W. Lee Superman??
bannedleader is offline   Reply With Quote