Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
MPOWERD

Default Harbor Freight 2.5 Horsepower, 21 Gal. Air Compressor... Any good?

The 2.5 Horsepower, 21 Gal., 125 Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor is on sale thru Monday (6/3) for 159.99 (with coupon). Is it any good? I need a bigger compressor for my air tools, but I don't use them very often so my need for the compressor will only be occasional...

Is this one good for the price?

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-Hors...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
ilovevocs

I have one at my cabin for occasional use. For the price I have not been disappointed. It would be prudent to verify that the CFM rating is sufficient for the tools your using. I have to stop and wait for it to catch up from time to time for certain tools, however since its my cabin I don't care. I will upgrade one day, and if your comfortable buying used you may find more value in that market. I needed a compressor quickly and didn't have time to buy used. It is also quite noisy for its size, as am sure you have anticipated.
ilovevocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
wjamyers

Default Re: Harbor Freight 2.5 Horsepower, 21 Gal. Air Compressor... Any good?

it ran my 1/2" earthquake and easily took the lug nuts off my 99 4runner.

it's loud. I switch it on and get out of the garage.
wjamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
MPOWERD

I was thinking of mounting it to the concrete on the outside back of my garage and enclosing it to keep the noise away from my work and from the neighbors and keep the weather off it...

Price is dropping to 153.99 during the parking lot sale the weekend after next. Going to probably grab it then instead of using the coupon today. Will give me almost 2 weeks to find an affordable alternative to compare.

Last edited by MPOWERD; 06-03-2013 at 04:09 PM.
MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
wjamyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWERD View Post
I was thinking of mounting it to the concrete on the outside back of my garage and enclosing it to keep the noise away from my work and from the neighbors and keep the weather off it...

Price is dropping to 153.99 during the parking lot sale the weekend after next. Going to probably grab it then instead of using the coupon today. Will give me almost 2 weeks to find an affordable alternative to compare.
same thought crossed my mind.
wjamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
boostme

I had it for a month almost and returned it...couldnt bust a nut or bolt from a motor mount

Also used it for a wire wheel to clean an engine block and it bogged down too much and got stuck

125 max reg psi but it drops to like 60 psi WHEN FULL and ON...too much off a drop

Saving my money and buying a decent one. Next oiled air compressor they had was double the price and I believe was less than 1.5 CFM more at its best setting!
boostme is offline   Reply With Quote